Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebatt View Post
It looked like more than one "mistake"

And why so many defending these actions, quite disappointing actually!
I find it disappointing too.

Trying to explain this away with "he did not know the rules" is quite a double standard to the usual uproar whenever some breaks the rules or asks a question that indicates that a person is unsure about something.

Wake up people. You should know the rules or not hunt.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.
Please elaborate how he has done more for the hunting scene than most of us combined. Many of us donate our time and our money to preserving the interest of hunting by donating time to hunter ed programs, AFGA and SCI etc. Many of us take new hunters out each year at our own cost.

Yep I make mistakes and I admit it but I dont have the need apologize for breaking the law in my job. If I did I would be out of work.

All I ever said was that his governing body should be looking at this infraction the way they should be looking at any outfitter that breaks the law but we all know that APOS has no desire to do that.

One last thing I would have more respect if he would have had the gonads to admit he was wrong to the judge instead of having his lawyer do it for him. If that is gonads you can keep them.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I do know him, and this whole thing shocks me. I am sure he will have the nads to post on here at some point, how it happened....just to satisfy the jealous people
Got nothing to do with jealousy, I don't even know who he is. I do have to admit I am seeing a huge double standard here though. I've seen guys roasted on this forum for posting a picture that may or may not display bad fish handling practices, then a guy who is apparently "somebody" around here gets caught breaking a few laws and anyone caught talking badly about said "somebody" is all the sudden in the wrong?

I don't know who he is, I don't really even care what he did, didn't even read the article... but ya, big double standard on this board.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM

not sure where to stand on this one. seems like a man of due diligence, from all his other posts, now this? seems fishy. the article should be taken with a grain of salt.

and those of you who think that your "not" defending him, need to re-read your posts. tone plays a huge role on how your post's are interpreted. there is a lot of double standards in this thread.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thread has been reopened after a clean up. First thing is he is not a poacher, From the article it states he made a mistake and openly admitted it. He did not contest the charges and pleaded Guilty. Am I defending him, no as he does not need defending. He did wrong and admitted it. He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.
The only reason he openly admitted it was because he got caught, but he didn't turn himself in did he? If he had gonads he would have.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Got nothing to do with jealousy, I don't even know who he is. I do have to admit I am seeing a huge double standard here though. I've seen guys roasted on this forum for posting a picture that may or may not display bad fish handling practices, then a guy who is apparently "somebody" around here gets caught breaking a few laws and anyone caught talking badly about said "somebody" is all the sudden in the wrong?

I don't know who he is, I don't really even care what he did, didn't even read the article... but ya, big double standard on this board.
No one ever mentioned here that what he did was excusable, not one post....
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I am glad there are so many upstanding fellow hunters on this forum. Seems like the majority here are perfect all the time. Good luck with this thread
Nobody's perfect, everyone makes mistakes. Unfortunately he is a very experienced paid professional guide and has been for many years. Paid Professionals are held to a higher standard than average.

Last edited by Bushrat; 09-01-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I do know him, and this whole thing shocks me. I am sure he will have the nads to post on here at some point, how it happened....just to satisfy the jealous people
I bet he don't post on here ever again. He almost quit posting after this forum went ape***** on him for offering money to help find a buck worthy of hanging a minsters tag on.

Pat made a mistake In the Yukon. Worse things happen here daily. I say kudos for the outfitter turning the guide in or for pat turning himself in. I don't think they tried to hide it.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
I bet he don't post on here ever again. He almost quit posting after this forum went ape***** on him for offering money to help find a buck worthy of hanging a minsters tag on.

Pat made a mistake In the Yukon. Worse things happen here daily. I say kudos for the outfitter turning the guide in or for pat turning himself in. I don't think they tried to hide it.
Exactly!!!, or F&W would have never known the 2nd guy "shot at the Caribou and missed"
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
The only reason he openly admitted it was because he got caught, but he didn't turn himself in did he? If he had gonads he would have.
I don't think the article mentioned wether he turned himself in or not or if he brought forth the fact that the wrong hunter shot at the caribou.
I do know hysterical the paper got the distances mixed up ( another member PM 'd me informing me of the proper distances ) but that is beside the point
Non of us were there. , the fact does remain however that he was convicted of something he certainly had control over,
Cat
Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

That being said everybody makes "mistakes" intentional or not, I'm sure he's sorry he did it and will think hard about it next time the situation arises. 10K and a 7 year hiatus from guiding in the Yukon seems to fit the crime.
Does not fit the crime at all. He should be hung from a tall tree with a short rope. The dempster corrider has been in place for years. This was an ILLEGALLY SHOT GRIZZLY BEAR!!! Not one too many grouse. This ***** should never be allowed to step foot up here again. Too many Albertans guiding up here as it is. One less wont be missed...especially a rulebreaker.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Does not fit the crime at all. He should be hung from a tall tree with a short rope. The dempster corrider has been in place for years. This was an ILLEGALLY SHOT GRIZZLY BEAR!!! Not one too many grouse. This ***** should never be allowed to step foot up here again. Too many Albertans guiding up here as it is. One less wont be missed...especially a rulebreaker.
it seems the Yukon guys view this a little different than Albertans. this seems to be the case from a few of the comments about the article as well. mabey some inside info? I agree this is not a little mistake, it is a big mistake, that seems to be brushed off as something minor by many.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting he be sentenced to death?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Seems a little harsh to me, but to each his own I guess. If you read the rest of my post you'll see I thought the excuse was weak and he knew better.

As far as the "too many Albertans" guiding up there comment I would chalk that one up to supply and demand of high end guides. If there was enough of them up there they wouldn't need us or the BC folks.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
WOW your a bit pizzy about Alberta Guides aren't you? Did you lose your job to one of them? What are you doing on a ALBERTA HUNTING FORUM anyway?

As for Pat Garrett, he screwed himself.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Thanks for re-opening the thread. Seems there is still some discussion to be had. Sure appears he took a chance knowingly breaking the rules & got caught. I respect that he manned up.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It's a news article. So it is quite beyond hearsay or gossip. As for breaking rules, careful there Dick. I have read where you chastise folks for not reading the regs and understanding them with your holier than thou attitude. Shouldn't a fellow making a living as an Outfitter here in Alberta and being a guide in the Yukon know the regs? Wow....
Agreed on if this is your living you should be real clear on the rules and regs. As for breaking rules we all do in our day to day lives most of us have sped, did a u-turn where we aren't supposed to, picked a flower out of a pot for a lady, etc etc but it's all about the severity of the rule and the perspective of who's watching I may not mind one thing but it may be another fellows pet peeve.
I will reserve judgement on this one, always nice to hear two sides to a story
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
. Too many Albertans guiding up here as it is. One less wont be missed...especially a rulebreaker.
I guess if there were more people with ambition up there. the albertan's wouldn't have to come do your work for you.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Thread has been reopened after a clean up. First thing is he is not a poacher, From the article it states he made a mistake and openly admitted it. He did not contest the charges and pleaded Guilty. Am I defending him, no as he does not need defending. He did wrong and admitted it. He has done more good for the hunting scene than most of you combined. I have never met the man but from all his posts his character is that of a hard working man who loves to hunt. Only thing is he made an error and openly admitted it. How many of you have the gonads to do that.
Agree 100 percent , everyone is human and mistakes happen . With a good lawyer this could have been thrown out the door but let's not forget that this was not the chosen route and it was openly admitted as a mistake without being contested .pat plead guilty and was devasted by the mistake , he was wiling to own up to it and deal with the consequences .

In my mind that deserves some credit as most would have called
a lawyer and not owned up to or took responsibility for there actions.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Agree 100 percent , everyone is human and mistakes happen . With a good lawyer this could have been thrown out the door but let's not forget that this was not the chosen route and it was openly admitted as a mistake without being contested .pat plead guilty and was devasted by the mistake , he was wiling to own up to it and deal with the consequences .

In my mind that deserves some credit as most would have called
a lawyer and not owned up to or took responsibility for there actions.
Puuuuleaaassseeee!!!!!! Do you really think he thought shooting a grizz off the dempster was all good??? C'mon.... He guides up there.... And if he actually didn't know......once again.... C'mon...srry to the boot lickers for not speaking with forked tounge. All in all, good guy, loved the thread/video with his father... It was great and always will be.... I already forgive him but he knew better. Don't kid yourself....let him take his lumps and be done. That is all folks.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Banned

Was a bit bothered by finding this out. What bothers me more is all the folks that say it was an "honest mistake"

Its the same excuse I hear all the time around here from poachers and trespasser's, "sorry, I didn't know what I was doing was wrong"

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 09-02-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 AM

This incident and conviction is a black mark that will tarnish and will call into question the "validity" of his super slam, I think it was called.

Oh it is a huge double standard presented within this thread.

Funny how many "man up" and "confess" and "pay the price" for their sins when there is no way out.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
I guess if there were more people with ambition up there. the albertan's wouldn't have to come do your work for you.
If there were more people with ambition in Alberta you would not need half of Saskatchewan, all of Newfoundland and 1/3 of the Phillipines to do your work for you.

fact is short season and low pay so most locals that guide take time off work to do it, the rest of us are to busy hunting during hunting season. But there is no shortage of southern dummies willing to work their asses off for 200 bucks per day. Supply and demand.

Typical Albertan...ride in with six guns blazin and a ten gallon hat to cover his swelled head. When he gets caught doing something dumb his best excuse is "Well Gee Whiz, I thought it would be ok" and a lot of guys on here eat that up with a spoon and ask for seconds. He guided a hunter to shoot a grizzly in a corridor. He cost his employer 20000 in a giveaway hunt and a lot of credibility in the hunting community.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Seems a little harsh to me, but to each his own I guess. If you read the rest of my post you'll see I thought the excuse was weak and he knew better.

As far as the "too many Albertans" guiding up there comment I would chalk that one up to supply and demand of high end guides. If there was enough of them up there they wouldn't need us or the BC folks.
Apparantly a shortage of "High End Guides" down there too if this is the best you got to send up.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Apparantly a shortage of "High End Guides" down there too if this is the best you got to send up.
Unfortunately, the way the article describes what transpired, it sounds like a good old road hunt on the Dempster highway. Doesn't speak much for any skill level in terms of guiding.....
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Unfortunately, the way the article describes what transpired, it sounds like a good old road hunt on the Dempster highway. Doesn't speak much for any skill level in terms of guiding.....
No kidding. Makes you kinda wonder about hunters that would drop that kinda money and be content with a road hunt. Maybe Pat G is why wallmart up here was sold out of pool noodles for a while.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 AM

So did he turn himself in? Or did the outfitter turn him in?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60
Does not fit the crime at all. He should be hung from a tall tree with a short rope. The dempster corrider has been in place for years. This was an ILLEGALLY SHOT GRIZZLY BEAR!!! Not one too many grouse. This ***** should never be allowed to step foot up here again. Too many Albertans guiding up here as it is. One less wont be missed...especially a rulebreaker................................

Must have been a funny look on everyone's face back at camp bragging about a bear off the highway - jaw dropping with two hunters talking . One thing to hit the wrong sheep, another to road hunt .

As for too many albertans guiding up there- there is a reason albertans are guiding up there ......... Outfitters don't like too many locals finding the honey holes , and they need people who can work hard ! That's my experience first hand.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Typical Albertan...ride in with six guns blazin and a ten gallon hat to cover his swelled head. When he gets caught doing something dumb his best excuse is "Well Gee Whiz, I thought it would be ok" and a lot of guys on here eat that up with a spoon and ask for seconds. He guided a hunter to shoot a grizzly in a corridor. He cost his employer 20000 in a giveaway hunt and a lot of credibility in the hunting community.....

For context and balance , do you know how many useless, pot smoking ,lazy clowns I have seen walking around hunt camps with Whitehorse addresses .

The outfitter hired this guy too. No sympathy either.

So next time hire an all local crew .

I am sure are all outfitters born and raised in Mayo or where ever locally , right?

From government transfer payments to out of town workers, Yukon isn't as self reliant as some believe .
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
No kidding. Makes you kinda wonder about hunters that would drop that kinda money and be content with a road hunt. Maybe Pat G is why wallmart up here was sold out of pool noodles for a while.
First he disses Albertans then he brings up pool noodles ......
BAN HAMMER!!
Closed Thread