Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Goose Hunting Etiquette

I am new to hunting, and was gonna try some goose hunting. I found a pea field that was being harvested (I know that geese like the pea fields), and asked the owner for permission to hunt there. He said I was the third guy to ask. But he said that he wasn't giving anybody priority as to who could hunt. He said it was first come, first serve. How does this work, and what is the "right" thing to do here? The first guy to show up gets to hunt? Is it safe for more than one group to hunt the same quarter?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM

If you hit the field at the same time as another group, team ip,
If another group dhows up when you are already in, it doesn't hurt yo offer them a spot .
I know many would say " too bad so sad"
But the guys I hunt with are not that way , we try to help out and accommodate wherever can .
Cat
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcommander View Post
I am new to hunting, and was gonna try some goose hunting. I found a pea field that was being harvested (I know that geese like the pea fields), and asked the owner for permission to hunt there. He said I was the third guy to ask. But he said that he wasn't giving anybody priority as to who could hunt. He said it was first come, first serve. How does this work, and what is the "right" thing to do here? The first guy to show up gets to hunt? Is it safe for more than one group to hunt the same quarter?
If I'm the first guy in there I always offer the 2nd guy/group a chance to set up with me and we can all enjoy the morning most times they will move on
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM

If had that similar thing happen before, or at least that's what I was told..."somebody beat me to it"

However only on one occasion did I ever end up on the same field as another guy. We chatted for a bit, and he actually hooked me up with another field that he had scouted. Pretty generous I thought.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM

This is why I only allow 1 hunting party on a quarter at a time.
When ever we have peas on any of our quarters, everybody wants to hunt so we allow each group Max 2 days ( unless no one else wants to hunt).
We keep a separate calendar in the house just to mark who's hunting when....lol....as I don't want to double book and ruin anybody's hunt.

There has been times when a 2 nd group has wanted to hunt when the field was booked and they knew the group that was booked so they teamed up with them and had a great hunt.

Happy hunting.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Smile Cooperate!

It used to be "if you brought a shovel and your own lunch .. you were always welcome on a goose hunt" Cam McKay Winnipeg. Cam is gone now but it is still true, work together, don't shoot or move until told to, more firepower is a big help.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM

Really the farmer should not give out multiple permission like that. But that being said this time of year they have more important tasks to worry about then sorting out goose shoots.
I would try to meet up with the other parties( scout the field again in the evenings you have a good chance of bumping into them). And come up with a mural game plan.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM

I am not sure the landowner gave you blanket permission to go whenever you want,,, Lots of landowners will let hunters on, but that doesn't mean go "often" and "whenever" . As a courtesy to the landowner and other hunters, it is prudent to ask for a specific day usually no more than one, two maybe 3 days ahead of when you want to hunt. Then ask if anyone else has been given permission and if he knows when they want to hunt. Occasionally the landowner may give you contact info for the other hunter and let you sort it out amongst yourselves.

Generally, if I know someone else has permission and will be hunting the same time frame, I simply move on and find another field to hunt.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 PM

Thx guys. I won't be going out till next Saturday, so I'll see what happens until then. I drive by the field everyday, so I should have a good idea of what's going on.