Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

Can it be done...absolutely.
Should it be done....mehhhhhh....I'll let the hunting ethics police argue that one,as posted,that horse has been beat to death.
IMHO,it's far more about shooting skill then hunting skill,that's all I got to say about it.
But before you go calling BS on an 1100 yd shot,keep in mind that many.....ok several...military snipers have recorded kills well beyond a mile distance,and there's a few recorded in the 2400m+ range.Mind you their weapon of choice is generally a .50cal,but some 2000+ with .338Lapua as well,and there's tons of guys capable of making that 1100 yard moose shot with a .308....I'm not one of them,lol.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM

Here is a Chart showing the effective and that means just that

will a gun listed kill further .... the answer is yes

also Rob Furlong teach's Long range shooting and all of the components to Albertan and else where every year..
https://www.facebook.com/Sniper.Rob.Furlong

I shot this Bull Moose at 975yds before he was born.. the date on picture was when I took a picture of that picture for on here

I shoot a Rem 700 BDL 7mm Mag with a Scopechief 3-9 BDC with extra disc

also now I have a Leupold 1000 TBR and ranged out to 1200 yards

I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

David

Cartridge Maximum effective range[35]
7.62ื39mm 600 m
5.56ื45mm 600 m [36]
7.62ื51mm (.308 Winchester) 800 m
7.62ื54mm R 800 m
.30-06 Springfield 800 m
7 mm Remington Magnum 900–1,100 m
.300 Winchester Magnum 900–1,200 m
.338 Lapua Magnum 1,200-1,500 m
.50 BMG (12.7ื99mm NATO)
12.7ื108mm (Russian) 1,500–2,000 m
14.5ื114mm 1,800–2,300

Last edited by Speckle55; 09-09-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Here is a Chart showing the effective and that means just that

will a gun listed kill further .... the answer is yes

also Rob Furlong teach's Long range shooting and all of the components to Albertan and else where every year..
https://www.facebook.com/Sniper.Rob.Furlong

I shot this Bull Moose at 975yds before he was born.. the date on picture was when I took a picture of that picture for on here

I shoot a Rem 700 BDL 7mm Mag with a Scopechief 3-9 BDC with extra disc

David
Cartridge Maximum effective range[35]
7.62ื39mm 600 m
5.56ื45mm 600 m [36]
7.62ื51mm (.308 Winchester) 800 m
7.62ื54mm R 800 m
.30-06 Springfield 800 m
7 mm Remington Magnum 900–1,100 m
.300 Winchester Magnum 900–1,200 m
.338 Lapua Magnum 1,200-1,500 m
.50 BMG (12.7ื99mm NATO)
12.7ื108mm (Russian) 1,500–2,000 m
14.5ื114mm 1,800–2,300

Why do you keep posting that chart which is a list of the effective ranges of the cartridges for military purposes, where it is actually more desirable to seriously injure a combatant, than to cleanly kill that person? As such, that chart is not applicable for big game hunting.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM

elkhunter11

actually that 975yd moose shot doubled lunged him and the bullet went to the other side and when I skinned him it fell out ..top of one lung into other

Just did that a few year ago on this Moose shot at 75 yards bullet fell out skinning on opposite side from entry

You should take a course from Rob or Len Backus
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...itters-145634/

David
Old 09-09-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
elkhunter11

actually that 975yd moose shot doubled lunged him and the bullet went to the other side and when I skinned him it fell out ..top of one lung into other

Just did that a few year ago on this Moose shot at 75 yards bullet fell out skinning on opposite side from entry

You should take a course from Rob or Len Backus
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...itters-145634/

David
Even if that was true, and you had a way to accurately measure the shot distance, that doesn't change the fact that the military chart that you keep posting, is not applicable to big game hunting. The military actually prefers if large numbers of combatants are seriously wounded, because it ties up considerable resources to look after wounded soldiers, whereas a dead man requires no immediate attention. On the other hand, it is our goal as hunters to provide quick clean kills, when we shoot at game animals.

As for a long distance shooting course, I am not the slightest it interested at shooting at game animals past 500 yards, and I have no interest in long range target shooting.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM

The problem , the way I see it , is not that the long range shots can't be made by the guys that have the skill , gear and the the trigger time , and that can make that shot time and time again , and the confidence to know it .
The problem is the guys that think that they are that good , and perhaps some days , maybe they are , but its on those days that they aren't ( and know it ) and still take the shot , and end up with a very poorly placed shot on the animal ( the animal is left in good enough condition to be long gone before the shooter can get to it , but in bad enough condition that it will die a slow death ) .

This , although mostly inherent with the long range shots , is certainly not limited to only the long range shots .

There are certainly enough poor shots ( poor decisions really ) that get taken , when the shooter should or does know better then to squeeze the trigger .

I just hope that when the time(s) comes for me to make that/those decisions , God grants me the wisdom and acceptance to know the difference .

Happy Hunting and Good Season To All , and To All A Good Buck
Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 PM

Swarovski and Leica both make fine equipment but there are much better rangefinders out there capable of ranging animals way past 1100 yards.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Think we hashed this one out a few times eh boys!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Banned

Not a big shooter here, but there are many videos that show how to estimate drift and drop at long range look it up on YouTube specially by gunwerks.
The ethical point arise from the competence of the shooter. I've seen many videos of crazy accurate shots taken by pro shooters ( I mean snipers and long range competitors not pros like Jim shocky)

Practice practice practice
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM

14 posts and onto my ignore list... new record!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutLakeJohnnie View Post
Howdy folks! I watched a YouTube video of some guy shooting a moose. He claims the range was 1100 yards. I called BS and was stomped on. I did some research on laser rangefinders and their limitations and the atrocious ballistics of even the best bullets pushed to unattainable velocities. Still, many respondents claimed I was "jealous" I couldn't/wouldn't take the shot.

So....what are your thoughts? BS or what?
where is the video !!!!!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 PM

This may be it?

http://wn.com/long_range_hunting_110...ull_moose_kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
where is the video !!!!!
David
Old 09-11-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks i was thinking thats the one great shooting on the hunters part no bs in that video.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Long range shooting is not something you just do on the spur of the moment.
It takes money, and time, and lots of learning and trigger time , on top of all the other things one needs to learn about hunting in general .
On top of all that one needs a place yo practise and there are not s lot of this'd around compared to rifle ranges with 100 or 200 yard butts.

I've shot full bore competitively and I've hunted and killed animals at distances some would want me hung for .

I Can't afford it any more and don't have the same amount if time to access my personal range like I used to , otherwise I likely would still be practising for a long range kill.

That being said I am positive there are bettering range shooters and hunters here as well as elsewhere that I gave met, and done this know.
It's a tremendous thing to do if one has the above combination , it 's pure luck and irresponsible to attempt if one doesn't .
Cat
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutLakeJohnnie View Post
Howdy folks! I watched a YouTube video of some guy shooting a moose. He claims the range was 1100 yards. I called BS and was stomped on. I did some research on laser rangefinders and their limitations and the atrocious ballistics of even the best bullets pushed to unattainable velocities. Still, many respondents claimed I was "jealous" I couldn't/wouldn't take the shot.

So....what are your thoughts? BS or what?

It is only unethical if you the individual can’t deliver.