Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2022, 12:56 AM

Default heated jacket for backs...

I'm considering giving in and getting a heated jacket. Specifically for my back. All the Milwaukee ones I've seen have either upper or lower back but not both. Given my back is getting more prone to stiffening up, I'd like to know if there is a heated jacket that is superior for back coverage?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2022, 05:37 AM

Default Long underwear

Check out the heated long underwear on Amazon. The prices seem reasonable and they just run off the small usb battery banks. I was thinking for hunting if a guy ran a usb extension cord with a usb adapter on a drill battery you could have a heated upper and lower body that would last all day with a 6 amp hour battery in your backpack. I bought my wife a Milwaukee jacket and the battery system seems kinda silly as it’s bulky. Nice quality and works great though.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:39 AM

Are you adventurous?

I bought a milwakee jacket years ago, and then wrecked the outer jacket. Had my wife transfer the inner lining that has all the electronics into a different jacket, and been running it for years.

I would be more inclined to buy some of those carbon fiber heated seat kits they sell for running your own in vehicle heated seats and sewing into the jacket you want. Should be an easy fix to run the cables to your own switch of choice, and to a 12 volt battery pack of choice. Many cheap options for battery pack adapters to run your power.

I say this, because I also bought those kits years ago and added heated seats to my pickup and have been enjoying the heat ever since. The carbon fiber heaters you can sew without worry or need to watch out for wires throughout the heating pad. The milwakee heater I have is wires.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:59 AM

Be careful, if you have back issues the heated jacket can become counter productive, in event your back catch’s a small draft or have to remove it in the cold!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM

I have Milwaukee jacket and like it. Got a small size so it fits close to my skin and it works well. If you go too big the under layers stop you from feeling the warmth. I also got heated insoles which if anyone hasn’t tried-I don’t recommend. Hard to fit in boots cause boots now a days have pretty thick liners already. They are uncomfortable and just make your feet sweat. That was a $100 loss for me but the jacket gets two thumbs up from me!
Old 12-06-2022, 08:48 AM

Along the heated gear lines - thought I would share that I just bought my brother a portable heated chair pad with back rest for his hunting stand. Obviously not for walking around in the cold but if anyone is looking for something heated while sitting down in a stand or blind of sorts with a chair- this thing is amazing. Gave it to him early. Heats well and has both butt and back warmers. Can be used for blinds or in a camping chair around the fire or if you’re a smoker lol - on your outdoor smoking chair to keep you warm or even in the stands at a baseball or football game. It was 40 or 50$ on Amazon and way more portable and versatile than an actual heated camping chair and also way more affordable. I got the YBRAG brand if anyone is interested in this investment. It has so many uses!
Old 12-07-2022, 08:00 AM
AO Sponsor

Think FUR!!!

Wife has a raccoon lined fur trimmed parka. No batteries required!
Old 12-07-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I'm considering giving in and getting a heated jacket. Specifically for my back. All the Milwaukee ones I've seen have either upper or lower back but not both. Given my back is getting more prone to stiffening up, I'd like to know if there is a heated jacket that is superior for back coverage?

Thanks
Where on your back do you get cold the most? For me it's the upper back.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:22 PM

I ride my bike when most people have given up and my electric vest will keep me not too bad later on in the season. The only parts that cold is my hands.