Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Question Frozen coyotes?

Hi all
I have a frozen coyote-whole, outside. its in excellent shape-and I want to get back into tanning. I know ideally you want to skin them warm, but obviously some of you trappers have to deal with frozen furbearerers.

do I wait for warm weather? is there a way to skin frozen? do I thaw it out inside?

any tips, help would be great!!

another quick question, I live in the thorsby area-are there any resident trapper courses not too far offered this year? Ive taken one in Newfoundland but that was 15 years ago.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Hi all
I have a frozen coyote-whole, outside. its in excellent shape-and I want to get back into tanning. I know ideally you want to skin them warm, but obviously some of you trappers have to deal with frozen furbearerers.

do I wait for warm weather? is there a way to skin frozen? do I thaw it out inside?

any tips, help would be great!!

another quick question, I live in the thorsby area-are there any resident trapper courses not too far offered this year? Ive taken one in Newfoundland but that was 15 years ago.
Haul him into the basement overnight and skin him out in the morning. Can't do them frozen. At least not frozen solid
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

4 days in my heated garage will thaw one out. It takes longer than you think
Old 01-31-2015, 03:55 PM

Great thanks-kind of like a deer I hung in the garage and it went to -24 , yes it took ages before I could cut it up, but it was fine eating

lucky I have an empty workshop in the basement
Old 01-31-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
4 days in my heated garage will thaw one out. It takes longer than you think
Wow. I throw them on my heated floor in the garage. 10 hours a side and they're usually good to go. Not that I've done a haul bunch of coyotes though
Old 01-31-2015, 04:39 PM

Maybe becasue you have them against a heated floor. Hanging in a heated envirement for me in the garage is 3-4 days. Marten overnight. No way in Heck would I ever bring a yote into the house. I wouldn't even be o.k with that let alone the wife. They are just gross animals. Actually I think I am bored and will go check a bait or 2 tonight before it gets dark. See what there is for tracks in the fresh snow as well. Wish me luck
Old 01-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Nope, to thaw or not, a coyote would never make it inside of the house!

Hanging 3 to 4 days in a 10 to 15 degree shack with a fan to circulate the heat works for me.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:07 PM

Anybody try the tensor bandage trick? Next time I have frozen coyotes I think I might.

Good luck Nube! I just finished setting a new location.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 PM

i use bandages aswell as thin towels. works great to lessen the insulation value of the fur. thaws them over night(enough to skin). alot less green belly, and less smell.faster in/out.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:08 PM

Just got back and got 4 more tonight lol That was a surprise. I haven't caught hardly a thing for weeks and the last 2 days I have 4-5 each time going out. Fun part was I was headed out the door and asked my wife jokingly if she wanted to come. She looked at me with a funny look then said sure, why not as long as it doesn't take forever lol I told her half hr to check 2 spots and we would be home. It was good to have her along and enjoyed the company. She thinks catching coyotes is easy now lol She said all I had to do is put a few snares up betwwn trees and come back a day or 2 later I wish it was that easy
Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Just got back and got 4 more tonight lol That was a surprise. I haven't caught hardly a thing for weeks and the last 2 days I have 4-5 each time going out. Fun part was I was headed out the door and asked my wife jokingly if she wanted to come. She looked at me with a funny look then said sure, why not as long as it doesn't take forever lol I told her half hr to check 2 spots and we would be home. It was good to have her along and enjoyed the company. She thinks catching coyotes is easy now lol She said all I had to do is put a few snares up betwwn trees and come back a day or 2 later I wish it was that easy
maybe you can teach her to skin next weekend!....
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
maybe you can teach her to skin next weekend!....
Why, when ur my biotch Love ya buddy lol
Old 01-31-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
My wife knows all too well about the half an hour checks. She packs a lunch.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Why, when ur my biotch Love ya buddy lol
Lol!...ok enough derailing.

I can sympathize with the OP. I had to stop trapping Yotes in mid nov because I don't have the facilities to deal with frozen puppies (Uninsulated detached garage). I'm gonna make the necessary renos this spring/summer and go extra hard next year.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 PM

Lucky theres just me, so I ca do the Dexter thing and cover all the work area with plastic....wont make a habit of bringing yotes into the house .

its a new place and the outdoor workshop isnt heated yet.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Lucky theres just me, so I ca do the Dexter thing and cover all the work area with plastic....wont make a habit of bringing yotes into the house .

its a new place and the outdoor workshop isnt heated yet.
Obviously; don't forget the Raid!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 PM

Drake have you figured out what heat source to put in? I think you can get a thermostated Electric heater for cheap and it would work well. Can't remember if you got insulation in there or not? You can come grab some at my house here if you want to use it? You should get a ceiling in it as well to keep the heat in
Old 02-01-2015, 08:52 AM

I would raid them and bag them before you bring them inside. As soon as they warm up those little suckers pop out they seem to have 9 lives.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Drake have you figured out what heat source to put in? I think you can get a thermostated Electric heater for cheap and it would work well. Can't remember if you got insulation in there or not? You can come grab some at my house here if you want to use it? You should get a ceiling in it as well to keep the heat in
Yeah I have 320sqft of wall space to insulate and the roof. I am gonna run a gas line for an infared heater.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:42 PM

I was curious how you guys that are out in a trappers cabin manage to get the bigger animals coyote wolves thawed out.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy 1 View Post
I was curious how you guys that are out in a trappers cabin manage to get the bigger animals coyote wolves thawed out.
I bring everything home and do it there. Radiant floor heat in the garage is pretty comfy. Or just drop it off at the custom skinners place, that's even easier when time is limited.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Cool

aaand are we talking ticks or fleas? What wont die after -20 C for 2 weeks? I dont have pets at the moment, but ticks are a concern. had trapped hares with a ton in april-but a couple nights in - 20C , all rabbit ticks dead.

what pests are we talking about that needs RAID? Im not a bunny hugger....a bunny eater, but I prefer to not go chemical,

more info??
Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

My concern is with fleas and maybe mites. We don't need either of those in the house.

I'd keep the coyote in a large plastic garbage bag while it's thawing in the house.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM

HD is right. Fleas & mites. If you are the only warm blooded thing in the house guess who gets bit. I get couple on me a season. My skinner he gets a few bites a week. He doesn't cares says you are itchy for a bit. When I do mine I raid them and leave them hang overnight. You could look at finding a custom skinner in your area then you don't have to risk the fleas in the house. Also a trapper I know has a heated skinning shack. My 2¢
Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Anybody try the tensor bandage trick? Next time I have frozen coyotes I think I might.

Good luck Nube! I just finished setting a new location.
Never heard this,, so wrap the dog when its frozen as it sits in the heated garage it thaws much faster??
Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE-1 View Post
Never heard this,, so wrap the dog when its frozen as it sits in the heated garage it thaws much faster??
Compressing the fur lessens the insulating properties and will thaw sooner. There are some old posts on it you should be able to search for. I have not had to do it yet but enough people say it works that I believe it.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:23 PM

Well I will give it a go...Theres a powder you can dust fur with ...I also worked in pet stores for dog fleas and ticks....it should do it for one hide,,,,lol.

Any input on resident trapper courses leduc/drayton etc...not looking for income but experience.!! .
Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 PM

I've put them in a plastic tub with warm water. They thaw quick an gets rid of lice. Now I've got a shed insulated an a electric heater in it. Thawing time is usually over night or if hung in morning they can be skinned that evening, but that's with partially froze dogs. Froze solid takes days especially if they are fat