Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Default wolf vocalizations

Was out doing some yote calling for first time,no animals taken but did have some interested individual's.Land owner informed me that they have a pack of 8 wolves that have been staying in large bowl in back section of their property due to large elk herd residing there,what i'm looking for is where I can get some wolf sounds to use on this weekends hunt,gonna try elk distress,but would like to have a good howl too,any help would be appreciated,cheers Peter
Old 02-02-2015, 03:53 PM

If you don't have a FoxPro try using your voice.
Maybe watch some videos first. I find just the longest whaling Howl works good. I have called in wolves several times as well as a few people I know have done it as well. Try it you will be very surprised how good it works.
My Howl does not sound very good to me. But it has worked more often than not. Didn't always result in a shot but usually some action.
Biggest problem using your voice is they know exactly where you are.
Good luck

Last edited by Shane s; 02-02-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:18 PM

I Have heard that if you set the scene of yotes catching a fawn or calf in distress that wolves will come in to kick the yotes ass. Predator masters forum is a good spot.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM

Talk to RedFrog on the forum here. He is very good at killing wolves and Yotes. He also was a sale rep for Foxpro as well if I remember right and at least can lead you in the right direction.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 PM

I don't have a ton of wolf calling experience, but I know some stuff and its not the same as coyotes.

-wolves don't follow the "they come in down wind" rule as much as coyotes. they come in from whereever the helll they feel like it.

-If you can get them howling back and forth to you, they are commited to coming in.

-they dislike having another wolf in their area a lot. So wolf howl at them and they will come in angry.

-like above someone said you give away your spot with them when you howl, but this is good. Just make sure you have good visibility all the way around because you don't know where they will come in to you.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM

Default calling

Plan to do a back to back set up so as to cover 360 degree field,i know Howling worked when my brother and I ran into some in mountains,3 came running hard,fired shot in front to stop them,scary moment.we were hunting elk,came across a kill i'm thinking cause we could hear growling down over knoll

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 02-02-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Google should be able to help you find some helpful sounds.

This site took about 20 seconds of searching.....

http://www.averageoutdoorsman.com/downloads/wolf/

Last edited by Bushmaster; 02-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Do some googling, lot of downloadable sounds on the net and not just on hunting oriented sites. Found one 20 minute sequences. Now, I just need to figure out a way to get the volume I need.

Grizz
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM

Default vocals

Thanks to everyone for your help,plan to go this weekend with what I have learned so far and give it a try, not expecting great success on first go round,but you never know,will keep every posted,cheers Peter,P.S. Redfrog your knowledge sharing was greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM

I sold Redfrog a canopy, he told me what has been mentioned. Find wolf sign and let fly with the coyote calls. Wolves come in looking to hurt some coyotes.