Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 PM

Terrible.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:45 PM

If coy is referring to Marty,I think he is very mistaken. In my dealings with him he has been an honest and standup guy. As far as snaring coyotes is concerned there are very few who know a fraction of what he does. His consistent numbers speak for his ability.No real need to blow his horn about his products.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
not worth commenting on a response like this guess you have no good info to help the snaremen on here.
Nope I ready don't. The only time I see the so called snare men helping anyone out on here is when they see a chance to petal their wares and to promote their friends. I don't get reimbursed for lost coyotes and brittle locks I know who and what puts food on my table. So long. I'm gone. Been swell . P.s. Only need 20 posts to post in the buy and sell

Last edited by coy coyote; 02-04-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
the 265breakaway is way to small for wolves you will have to go to the 750s

Will a deer pop a 750 open though?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
Will a deer pop a 750 open though?
no that is a problem with snaring wolves in a deer area. on my rtl I have deer and yes I have caught a few but if you take one wolf you have saved 20 deer this is what a wolf will eat in one year. if you are snaring wolves in a deer area you can only try your best to put your snare where you wont catch a deer. if you use a small breakaway you will lose your wolf and educate him.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Nope I ready don't. The only time I see the so called snare men helping anyone out on here is when they see a chance to petal their wares and to promote their friends. I don't get reimbursed for lost coyotes and brittle locks I know who and what puts food on my table. So long. I'm gone. Been swell . P.s. Only need 20 posts to post in the buy and sell
funny you say this I have never met marty but have used his products with great succsess. have no problem with your imput just hate rude comments just not needed.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Wow Coy, and here I thought you were just playing around having a little fun. I'm sorry you feel this way toward me, making money selling my products is not my focus, it just happens alongside trying to make snaring better for all including the wildlife we affect, both target and non-target. I haven't achieved my goal yet, there are still improvements to be made and I intend to continue. I'll still let you come down and bring me some wine and sausage some time!

Ten years ago one of my biggest fears was that we were going to lose the common neck snare in Alberta for the Ram and I sure as heck didn't want things to go that way. From reading through the regulations the writing was on the wall with specific language making specific definitions for what a power snare was in contrast to what a common neck snare was. There was no reason for this langauge to be there as we were allowed to use both without limitations aside from a potential future change toward allowing Ram snares only in Southern Alberta for the resident trappers and making the common neck snare illegal. That is how I seen it, I couldn't understand there being any other reason for things to be written that way. Manitoba and Saskatchewan went that way. Thank goodness that the Alberta Trappers Association went to bat for the resident trapper and got the common neck snare legalized prior to the ram taking over. From then on it was my desire to build hardware to turn a common neck snare into a powersnare that would both do the job and fit the legal definition of a powersnare in the event that the powers that be forced us into a powersnare only law in Albeta. So that was my focus, that was my purpose, not a get rich quick scheme, I just happened to hate the Ram, not that it was a bad device to use, but it was dangerous, cumbersome and expensive, and it really wasn't compatible with the arthritis I was suffering in my hands. It was pretty funny walking into the ATA store with all my used Rams and seeing the look of disbelief on Fred Nuemans face when I told him I wanted them to sell my rams on consignment for me!

750's... Wolves vs moose, doable, wolves vs deer, not particularly doable. Wolves vs other stuff, doable. A leg caught deer has a chance to escape from a 750, but neck caught is not going to happen so we keep the wolf equipment out of the heavy deer areas. The 750 is designed to release the big stuff, moose, elk, etc. a wolf is generally going to battle harder than a deer in a snare, unless the deer is by a foot. Breakaway systems have their limitations.

Last edited by Marty S; 02-05-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Banned

I don't go after coyotes but do snare for wolves.I use 12' of 1/8" cable, camlock, ferules of course and a swivel that's it. All the extra hardware discussed here is just extra iron to try and hide both visually and scent wise. I have never had an issue with catching ungulates snaring. Hopefully the South Country Trappers mission of getting all this stuff (crap) manditoryfor snaring falls by the wayside. If they want it in their area fine.... keep it there. Just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I don't go after coyotes but do snare for wolves.I use 12' of 1/8" cable, camlock, ferules of course and a swivel that's it. All the extra hardware discussed here is just extra iron to try and hide both visually and scent wise. I have never had an issue with catching ungulates snaring. Hopefully the South Country Trappers mission of getting all this stuff (crap) manditoryfor snaring falls by the wayside. If they want it in their area fine.... keep it there. Just my opinion.
Who is making a push to make this mandatory? I'm not necessarily in the loop on these things and am curious.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:11 PM

Marty, you need to get yourself on the approved list of S-hook suppliers for Saskatchewan for 2015. I'm looking forward to finally moving up from 3/64th wire but being forced by my goberment to buy from someone out in Ontario, the USA or worse yet Don Gordon really chaffs my ass!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Who is making a push to make this mandatory? I'm not necessarily in the loop on these things and am curious.
South Country Trappers Association. As above if they want this in their area that's up to them but don't push it Province wide. JMHO
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
Marty, you need to get yourself on the approved list of S-hook suppliers for Saskatchewan for 2015. I'm looking forward to finally moving up from 3/64th wire but being forced by my goberment to buy from someone out in Ontario, the USA or worse yet Don Gordon really chaffs my ass!
hey cinch not sure if you know this or not but you can use 1/16 cable with a breakaway here in sask on the power rams they changed the law in dec. its a small step forward but hope someday will be able to use free hangers in the south without all the special permits you need now to use them
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Your worried about hiding a snare using 1/8 cabel, trappers are killing wolves with 5/64 and I have heard of smaller that's how you hide a snare. Till anyone has used Marty's system don't comment, I won't use anything but his system I like taking a coyote or wolf out of a snare and reset a new one in the same spot, because the animal had a quick death. 1/8 cabel will take more abuse when the wolf fights it for hours chewing and twisting, I have seen it. That's why I use the most up to date killing device available, I like killing the dogs but I like it better knowing that it was as quick as possible. I also hate skinning water heads and in a year I might skinn 3-4 partial ones in the past I bet it was 30 percent or more. Every one have a good day and play nice.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Your worried about hiding a snare using 1/8 cabel, trappers are killing wolves with 5/64 and I have heard of smaller that's how you hide a snare.

That's how you lose wolves.

Till anyone has used Marty's system don't comment,

I have. I don't now.

I won't use anything but his system I like taking a coyote or wolf out of a snare and reset a new one in the same spot, because the animal had a quick death. 1/8 cabel will take more abuse when the wolf fights it for hours chewing and twisting, I have seen it.

I haven't. You may be doing something wrong.

I like killing the dogs but I like it better knowing that it was as quick as possible.

I concur!

I also hate skinning water heads and in a year I might skinn 3-4 partial ones in the past I bet it was 30 percent or more.

That is extrodinarily high. I have had a couple in over 50 wolves.

Every one have a good day and play nice.

Absolutely!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Hopefully the South Country Trappers mission of getting all this stuff (crap) manditoryfor snaring falls by the wayside. If they want it in their area fine.... keep it there. Just my opinion.
All what stuff? The only stuff that the ATA has asked government for is to bring in a mandatory breakaway law, so that's just simply a little tiny s-hook attached to your snare lock for snare people to attempt to snare responsibly and keep non-target catches to a minimum. The alternative keeps non-target catches at a maximum.

Do note that the ATA, the Alberta Trappers Association has asked government to consider this proposal to implement future legislation in the future. Though the South County trappers is some kind of entity of it's own, I believe they brought this proposal to the ATA to be voted upon by the membership of the ATA, and as it passed, obviously the membership of the ATA was in favour of this proposal. As it seems that you are so strongly opposed to this resolution, which passed in recent history, I hope that you voiced your concerns at the meeting at that time, because that was the time when it really counted, that was the time that it mattered most. You would have been given the floor to speak against such a resolution and you could have convinced the membership to vote against this resolution if your position would have been agreeable with the rest of the trappers from around the province.

The South country people were not alone in their desire to bring forth a resolution seeking implementation of breakaway devices. I believe that the Drayton Valley local also had a breakaway device resolution tabled or ready to present.

I believe the desire for breakaway devices is not a "southern" desire only, but a desire of many, possibly most trappers from around the province to implement, as evidenced by the passing of this resolution by trappers from all around the province.

Perhaps you have never caught a non target animal in a snare. Perhaps you aren't being truthful when you say that you have no problem with non-target ungulates , who knows? Nobody can argue the point that you make that you personally have no need whatsoever for breakaway devices. However, not everybody can say that, not even the people from your neck of the woods. There is ground here that I don't want to delve into here! But if breakaways are properly used then you will hold your catch and release your non-targets, should any ever find their way into your equipment.

Is a deer worth forty cents? What about other stuff?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:48 PM

I rather be able to make a responsible choice on my own, then pushing for new laws.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:11 PM

New laws like like mandatory this and that will only lead to us snaring like they do in Saskatchewan or not at all. I would rather have a choice as well as to what I put on my snare. And it isn't 40 cents either if you go through a couple hundred snares in a season it adds up
Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 PM

snares are not cover under the ahtis agreement. failing to attempt, preventing none target catches. and we could lose snaring altogether.

it is sad, and i hate it. that common sense has to be legislated.

so a guy buys 200 BADS at 40 cents. just say, a guy has 10 release in a season. say 5 a from ungulates. say 4 from the renter that moved his cows through the paster that had snares in. and one from a cougar.

the other 190 are reusable the next season. so the cost to prevent 10 nontarget catches is 4$. that just good insurance. and keeps everyone snaring in the future. and away from BS regulations like in SK. or not being able to snare at all, like some of the states.

Last edited by braggadoe; 02-08-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 PM

When I started snaring, there were no real reliable dispatch methods and in my first year alone killed 2 deer and lost at least 2 coyotes and one mystery animal. We have a ton of options now and I only put out 200 or so snares a year these days, and I deer hunt where I do a majority of my snaring, and I feel way better about the results, very dead coyotes, minimal catch circles or disturbances, and a successful breakaway of a non-target animal. I know trappers who can set out the cheapest, minimalist snare and hang animals seemingly at will, they are that experienced. I am not living off of these proceeds and am very happy with the outcomes running what is the most expensive non-ram snare option. At some point I will catch a yote that will break away and have heard of deer that manage to choke before tearing apart a BAD, but in comparison to the guy who taught me snaring who figures a couple of deer a year is worth the cost of a cheap snare (and is still killing a couple a year, plus a moose 2 years ago). Its a tough call and I hope that as a trapping community, we spend our time and effort trying to be more efficient and humane, whether using technology available to us or improving our skill set (hopefully both).
Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Don't get me wrong, I personally hate over restriction with a passion. Ideally everybody would just use breakaways without forcing people. I guess the biggest part of the battle is to get to the point where we know exactly which combinations work and which do not, because there are so many types and lengths of snares to use, different springs and for different animals. We definitely need options so that means I need to build more sizes of BADs so that we all have more options and we all can find the ones that work for us in our conditions.

To do this properly though, it takes research, and personally I cannot buy a $5000 load sensor to do the job right. Lots of research has already been undertaken by other agencies, but not all is accurate. Some you have to take with a grain of salt where there is supposed research done to serve an agenda as we have witnessed in some places or some other gong show happening, and other places where you have true scientific research being done by qualified people under proper protocols.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Not to de-rail this thread.
Could someone post a pic of an over crimped BAD so guys can ensure they are over crimping property or to compare their gear with others. Many guys purchase snares other make their own a good visual would help to clear the muddy water.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 AM

My issue with BADs is finding them....Halfords is always sold out of ones suitable for coyotes.

LC
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 PM

I always get mine from Senneker direct, never have been out of stock, of either the 265# for yotes or the 750# for the big doggies. Here is a a pic, overcrimp is on the right, both #265. I very slightly overcrimp, just to round out the loops a bit.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...psbd3868d0.jpg
Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Banned

Anyone wanna bet that once the use of BAD's becomes mandatory the next thing that will be advocated for is to bring in a new regulation to make it illegal to modify them (ie. overcrimping) in any way?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM
AO Sponsor

I have my doubts, you never know, often things as such come from trappers, not from government. I believe this is why Saskatchewan is now in the predicament that they are in. Once you start digging a hole with such detailed specific rules, it is one that you can't get out of. Look around the continent, you have states that went to mandatory BAD legislation without specific size requirements and they have happily left things as they were, leaving the onus on the trapper to make a responsible choice on breakaway size. I like that way. Other states have restrictive rules in place that it must be this kind of BAD and can't be that, then you have dug a hole that you can't get out of in the future. I sure hope the ATA doesn't lead us down this route.

Over restriction eliminates progress. When you have to do it one way and all other ways become illegal then you cannot make a better way, because it is now essentially illegal to make improvements.

(Do quote me on this!)

Had we gone all Ram powersnares in Southern Alberta years ago, the Stinger Kill Spring would not have been invented, neither the magnum which is the next big step up. And we are far from done. Expect more coyote size breakaway device options soon... and maybe other stuff!

-

Last edited by Marty S; 02-11-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Banned

I agree, Marty.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:31 PM

Yes and I wish that our sask gov would class martys snare as a legal power snare here so we could use it out side of rtl areas as a freehanger
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM
AO Sponsor

A free hanger is what hangs out of a guy's nose when it's cold out.

I was checking and resetting snares today, had a good day, but it was cold out and there was this free hanging stuff hanging freely from my nose.

I'd stick with "Common Neck Snare" if it were me.

I think your government is just looking out for us Alberta guys. They want us to catch all the extra coyotes to satisfy the coyote market. They don't want you guys to make extra money because then they would have to tax you on it and that would be extra work for them.

Then there's the matter of all the extra cash you would have to spend in your local economy from the extra fur you would catch. Unthinkable.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Over restriction eliminates progress. When you have to do it one way and all other ways become illegal then you cannot make a better way, because it is now essentially illegal to make improvements.

(Do quote me on this!)
-
And i just did!
Well said, i agree.