Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
It was all through Forestry (Same person who approves lumber & oil companies projects). I filled out an application with my plan (including out buildings), they approve the project with a proposed completion date. After the completion date they come inspect to verify the plan was not deviated from; at that time if all is well they issue you a permit.
What area are you in ?
I spoke with SRD public lands division today and he said I don't need any permit. He said as long as it met the sizing requirements and wasn't within 6 miles of another cabin on the line I was good to go. Pick a spot, build the cabin and go register the cabin location once completed. The only thing they where concerned with was the size, that it was actually on my line and it didn't violate the 1994 current agreement for spacing between cabins. They didn't specify any distance from a water source or any other stipulation.
Very interesting different areas have different sets of rules or guidelines.

Edit*** The public lands guy also said that they would notify forestry of location for future development.

Last edited by Torkdiesel; 01-19-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Like I said earlier Tork I was told basically the same but to get approval from ESRD and Forestry or the location jut in case there were plans to knock the forest down or if they objected for some reason. If you get anything in writing let me know. I find this trapping thing very frustrating. I spent the last 2 days e-mailing about what my quotas are in my area and I am getting 2 sides of things from 2 different sources. I am also wanting a land description or a map of my trapline to know the boundaries. Fish and wildlife was surprised I didn't have that. But who would have given it to me?? The fish cop was great and sent me the land description boundaries and now I just have to figure out how to trace it onto a map. I would have thought these types of things would have been sent to me in a package so I knew what the heck I just bought. Wehn you buy a house you get paperwork. When you buy a car you get paperwork with descriptions. I didn't get a whole lot when I got mine and was quite surprised.

It seems with the cabin building there is no right answer and there are different views no matter who you talk with. Guess you just need to cross your fingers and hope you get the easiest guy to work with is all and wing it.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Like I said earlier Tork I was told basically the same but to get approval from ESRD and Forestry or the location jut in case there were plans to knock the forest down or if they objected for some reason. If you get anything in writing let me know. I find this trapping thing very frustrating. I spent the last 2 days e-mailing about what my quotas are in my area and I am getting 2 sides of things from 2 different sources.

If you look in the Trapping Regulations quotas are addressed there. Some in certain Trapping Zones are even itemized by WMU's. You just have to read through it.

I am also wanting a land description or a map of my trapline to know the boundaries. Fish and wildlife was surprised I didn't have that. But who would have given it to me??

How about the guy you bought the line from. I am suprised you are trapping on your line not knowing it's boundaries.

The fish cop was great and sent me the land description boundaries and now I just have to figure out how to trace it onto a map. I would have thought these types of things would have been sent to me in a package so I knew what the heck I just bought. Wehn you buy a house you get paperwork. When you buy a car you get paperwork with descriptions. I didn't get a whole lot when I got mine and was quite surprised.

You may ask one of the oil companies that are devastating your line to draw one for you and mylar it. I'll bet they will.They will have a map of your line for notification purposes.

It seems with the cabin building there is no right answer and there are different views no matter who you talk with. Guess you just need to cross your fingers and hope you get the easiest guy to work with is all and wing it.
The "new" cabin policy has been coming out now for over four years. I still have yet to see anything. When I built my cabins the sizing and distance between was as per the publication in the ATA website which as I understand is the system presently being used. In addition, I had mine surveyed, took pictures and they were put in my trapline file at ESRD.

I can see why they have finally taken the challenge test away. It appears it will be a positive move.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What area are you in ?
I spoke with SRD public lands division today and he said I don't need any permit. He said as long as it met the sizing requirements and wasn't within 6 miles of another cabin on the line I was good to go. Pick a spot, build the cabin and go register the cabin location once completed. The only thing they where concerned with was the size, that it was actually on my line and it didn't violate the 1994 current agreement for spacing between cabins. They didn't specify any distance from a water source or any other stipulation.
Very interesting different areas have different sets of rules or guidelines.

Edit*** The public lands guy also said that they would notify forestry of location for future development.
Defiantly allot of confusion toward this subject depending on who you talk to and what area your in for sure. Seems to me a couple of years ago there was a proposal to change the guidelines. The time line for this came and gone but in typical government fashion the new guidelines or who enforces them has yet to be defined. Therefore the regional offices seem to operate on their own versions (in some cases the old guidelines). I think this causes the confusion on a form like this since I am sure 10 different people would be told ten different things. I was fortunate to have found someone who gave me a set of guidelines and permission to build our cabin. I didn't waist any time building it in case someone changed their mind, lol.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM

If you do build one, build it with a steel roof and steel cladding. Not only will it be critter proof, but in the event of a forest fire, your cabin has a half a chance of survival if done right. Add an outside sprinkler system that will dump water on it providing you have a good source handy. I had a buddy who built a cabin on a lease in northern Saskatchewan who did this and his cabin was the only thing standing for miles. From the air it looked like a green oasis in a land of black.

Good luck on whatever you do or decide.

BW
Old 01-19-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
The "new" cabin policy has been coming out now for over four years. I still have yet to see anything. When I built my cabins the sizing and distance between was as per the publication in the ATA website which as I understand is the system presently being used. In addition, I had mine surveyed, took pictures and they were put in my trapline file at ESRD.

I can see why they have finally taken the challenge test away. It appears it will be a positive move.
Well Martin thanks for comments. It isn't the first time you have been rude to me or a few others on here and not sure what the deal is. You have been helpfull in the past a few times and brushed off the odd comment you made but your comment here was over the line bud. Your like Jekle and Hyde some days and I don't like the demeaning attitude. I don't think a challenge test has anything to do with it. Hopefully I am taking your comment the wrong way?

Quotas are in the regs and yes I get that but I have 7.23 Townships in 3 WMU's and have different quotas in those WMU's. I do not have any paperwork that shows me how many Townships in each WMU either so how am I supposed to know what my quota is. Funny I asked what my quota was and I got the answer from Fish and Wildlife and the senior wildlife bioligist in charge ESRD. Both had different views on it so it isn't that easy!

Of course I have a map and it has lines on it to show a boundary but there is no actual description anywhere of what those boundaries are. I finally got a land description today as well. I didn't worry about it considering I only trapped around my cabin and was well within the limits.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM

Default porcupine proofing

What do you guys do to keep the porcupines, packrats, etc. from chewing their way up through the floor?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:

That seemed a little harsh Martin, there are a lot of grey areas and opinions about Traplines from the public and F&W, Forestry and public lands alike. It doesn't hurt to ask questions even if one has already received somebody else's opinion.
I think one of the biggest issues with this whole situation is there are under 2000 RFMA in the whole province and they require a decent amount of policy for such a small sector of the SRD
Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
What do you guys do to keep the porcupines, packrats, etc. from chewing their way up through the floor?
I had steel doors on the cabin I just sold. The cabin itself was log so nothing chewed on it at all, and I never had anything chew through the floor
Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
I have mothballs around, in and under the cabin. I also don't trap the resident marten or weasels at the cabin. I don'e see more than a couple mouse tracks around the cabin all season
Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I have mothballs around, in and under the cabin. I also don't trap the resident marten or weasels at the cabin. I don'e see more than a couple mouse tracks around the cabin all season
Nor did my buddy in Northern BC. Kept the squirrels and mice under control.

Cept sometimes we had a weasel in the cabin. hehehe

Got one with a 357 one time...........yup in the cabin.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well Martin thanks for comments. It isn't the first time you have been rude to me or a few others on here and not sure what the deal is.

I don't feel I have been rude at all. If you are sensitive to suggestions and comments sorry for you.

You have been helpfull in the past a few times and brushed off the odd comment you made but your comment here was over the line bud. Your like Jekle and Hyde some days and I don't like the demeaning attitude. I don't think a challenge test has anything to do with it. Hopefully I am taking your comment the wrong way?

What I should have said is you are the exampleof the "add water and we have a new trapper". Not being demeaning at all but being in possession of an RFMA carries with it much responsibility. Just challenging a test and away you go has ended and that is a good move on the ATA's part and ESRD.

Quotas are in the regs and yes I get that but I have 7.23 Townships in 3 WMU's and have different quotas in those WMU's. I do not have any paperwork that shows me how many Townships in each WMU either so how am I supposed to know what my quota is. Funny I asked what my quota was and I got the answer from Fish and Wildlife and the senior wildlife bioligist in charge ESRD. Both had different views on it so it isn't that easy!

I have 7 Townships and 3 Wmu's as well and don't seem to have a problem interpreting them from the regs. It's pretty easy to read and figure it out. If you need assistance from ESRD to figure yours I guess that will make you feel more comfortable.

Of course I have a map and it has lines on it to show a boundary but there is no actual description anywhere of what those boundaries are. I finally got a land description today as well. I didn't worry about it considering I only trapped around my cabin and was well within the limits.
I am glad you did not go beyond the boundaries as you thought they were. Your neighbouring trappers will appreciate that. You did very well just trapping close to your cabin. Just imagine when you can expand to known boundaries.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
That seemed a little harsh Martin, there are a lot of grey areas and opinions about Traplines from the public and F&W, Forestry and public lands alike. It doesn't hurt to ask questions even if one has already received somebody else's opinion.

Not harsh at all. I am sure glad they took the challenge test away. Now we have a Member here that challenges the test, buys an RFMA with investors, doesn't know his trapline boundaries, doesn't know his quotas, and has been trapping this line for this season, all posted on this Forum. Sure doesn't help the image of trappers in Alberta.

I think one of the biggest issues with this whole situation is there are under 2000 RFMA in the whole province and they require a decent amount of policy for such a small sector of the SRD
Not sure what you are referring to here other than like I said the new cabin policy has not been put through as of yet.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

For the life of me I don't see what challenging the trappers test has to do with the problems of building a new cabin.
By the way martin you can still challenge the trappers test.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM

"I think one of the biggest issues with this whole situation is there are under 2000 RFMA in the whole province and they require a decent amount of policy for such a small sector of the SRD"

This had nothing to do with your comment martinnordegg, it was just my opinion on the provinces current situation.

As for the comments about Nube while I don't disagree he could have been more prepared, I also don't believe he is the problem with modern trapping. There is lots to learn about all aspects of trapping and owning a line, lots that isn't taught in a course I might add. I was lucky to be a third generation trapper and was taught all this when I was a kid, others were not but I wouldn't discourage them from getting into the industry.

Also I don't remember Nube mentioning anything about investors on here but since you seem to think this has some bearing on his ability as a line holder I guess it was worth mentioning.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
For the life of me I don't see what challenging the trappers test has to do with the problems of building a new cabin.
By the way martin you can still challenge the trappers test.

I have taken the trappers course, thanks. I have been an RFMA Senior for over 25 years. I have assisted with the course many times since. Every time I am invloved with the course I learn more. In the trapping business learning never ends. Understanding the rules and regulations is paramount. Building a cabin involves understanding rules, regulations etc. which includes boundaries. Have you ever had the priviledge of administering an RFMA as a Senior?

Last edited by martinnordegg; 01-19-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
"I think one of the biggest issues with this whole situation is there are under 2000 RFMA in the whole province and they require a decent amount of policy for such a small sector of the SRD"

This had nothing to do with your comment martinnordegg, it was just my opinion on the provinces current situation.

As for the comments about Nube while I don't disagree he could have been more prepared, I also don't believe he is the problem with modern trapping. There is lots to learn about all aspects of trapping and owning a line, lots that isn't taught in a course I might add. I was lucky to be a third generation trapper and was taught all this when I was a kid, others were not but I wouldn't discourage them from getting into the industry.

Learning never ends for anyone in the trapping business. There is lots of things that are not taught in a trappers course but the basic rules and regulations should be understood before embarking on administering an RFMA. Two of the list would be quotas and boundaries. There is a difference in learning trapping techniques to basic regulations. Trapping techniques and tricks is the fun part and on-going.

Also I don't remember Nube mentioning anything about investors on here but since you seem to think this has some bearing on his ability as a line holder I guess it was worth mentioning.
From what he said in previous posts he took two people or maybe more on as Juniors that challenged the test as well to defray the line cost. With his posts it makes me wonder if they understand regulations like quotas and boundaries as well as the Senior.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have taken the trappers course, thanks. I have been an RFMA Senior for over 25 years. I have assisted with the course many times since. Every time I am invloved with the course I learn more. In the trapping business learning never ends. Understanding the rules and regulations is paramount. Building a cabin involves understanding rules, regulations etc. which includes boundaries. Have you ever had the priviledge of administering an RFMA as a Senior?
Glad you at least understand that trapping (like anything else) is always a learning experiance.
Still doesn't address the fact that you seem to think that anyone who has taken the course would know all the rules, regulations and building codes involved in building a new cabin, which I doubt.
Whether Nube took the course or not, I don't understand how he is giving trapping a bad name by asking a legitimate question about building his new cabin, or asking some advise about the best way to do it. Or do you think that only people who took the course should ask questions or seek advice on this forum. Opps, that would never happen as anyone who took the course allready knows everything (according to you).
Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
From what he said in previous posts he took two people or maybe more on as Juniors that challenged the test as well to defray the line cost. With his posts it makes me wonder if they understand regulations like quotas and boundaries as well as the Senior.
Not at all. I bought it all myself and the Jr partners are friends who I like to enjoy the experience with is all. The only gain I get from it is they let me keep the animals they catch when they want to go and check traps.

Sorry if I sound a bit upset Martin but I felt that was a cheap shot at me. I'm doing the best I can and I thought these forums were for sharing experiences and learning. I got lots to learn and I am doing all I can to make it the best experience posible and do things the right way. It's a little easy for you to sit back and put your nose in the air if you have been doing this for 25 years or more and teach the stuff. You had to start somewhere too. Hopefully you had help by someone holding your hand alone the way. I don't
Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 PM

Nube the best place that i have found for a map on boundries is from the logging company that has the rights to your area. I got one that was to scale then used a i phone app called map overlay. It allows you to put pictures over the i maps and you can also draw on the pictures. You can then fade the picture out and have the lines you drew for your boundries. You can see where you are on the map and where your boundries are. It has been very helpfull for me. If you want more info pm me.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 AM

Default cabin

Guys, lets get back to Nubes origional post wanting to build a second cabin. Nube " time is of the essence". The reason their is so much confusion is a few years back a new cabin policy was approved by legislation but has not been implemented yet in field, that is why each field office gives different version.
The 94 cabin policy is still in effect, you need to read the policy, follow it and build your cabin. You do not want to try build cabin under new DML system they want to implement, it is similar to application for building a gas plant, including surveyors, engineered drawings etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, lets get back to Nubes origional post wanting to build a second cabin. Nube " time is of the essence". The reason their is so much confusion is a few years back a new cabin policy was approved by legislation but has not been implemented yet in field, that is why each field office gives different version.
The 94 cabin policy is still in effect, you need to read the policy, follow it and build your cabin. You do not want to try build cabin under new DML system they want to implement, it is similar to application for building a gas plant, including surveyors, engineered drawings etc.
I agree BGW. When I spoke with Public lands he kept eluding to the fact that the "new policy" would be in place very soon and would "tighten things up a lot"
I suggest if somebody was looking to build a new line cabin I would make haste and not sit back and wait it out. They have been been talking about the new policy coming into play for years and it hasn't happened, but why tempt fate.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree BGW. When I spoke with Public lands he kept eluding to the fact that the "new policy" would be in place very soon and would "tighten things up a lot"
I suggest if somebody was looking to build a new line cabin I would make haste and not sit back and wait it out. They have been been talking about the new policy coming into play for years and it hasn't happened, but why tempt fate.
sounds like good advise.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 AM

Default Good, we'll written posts nube

Great reply to this meatball Nube!!
It's great to see young guys out there, and teaching young kids about our cherished wildlife!!
Don't let old "Ernie the expert" damper your spirit!!!
Obviously, you are the wiser, more mature one, here....
I would suggest a seacan, all the way... Nothing is as secure, you can store a stove and genset inside, and with a bit of insulation, your good to go, no matter the season
Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Seacans

So there have been several people that have mentioned using a seacan for a trappers cabin. I can see using it for storage but sitting around at night in front of a wood stove just wouldn't be the same to me in a steel box. Does anybody have a picture of a finished "can" cabin ???
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM

My friend builds a cabins as a contractor if you want his contact.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM

Check out SEABOX Depot in Leduc ,my buddy builds them ,
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Nub why not do the log cabin? All the material you need is on your trap line no need to buy lumber when you can get it right their. It would look neat but lots of work layout and design is what you can only imagine.

Gordon
Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
So there have been several people that have mentioned using a seacan for a trappers cabin. I can see using it for storage but sitting around at night in front of a wood stove just wouldn't be the same to me in a steel box. Does anybody have a picture of a finished "can" cabin ???
And try heating a steel box when it's -45C. A seacan would have to be well insulated to heat in cold weather.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-21-2015, 03:32 PM

I think you could insulate it pretty good and it would work but it would cost a lot for a Sea can I think. You could build a basic cabin and only have about $1500 of wood into it I would think. A seacan before mods would cost Min $2500 and weigh a ton to get into anywhere on the trapline. It is agood idea but I think I will try a wood frame first. Might build a steel door for it though and rebar every foot throughout just in case someone wants to chainsaw their way in lol