Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 PM

https://firmitas.org/images/TinCabin-Deck1.jpg

Here is a sharp looking one!

I just did a Google search for sea can cabins and there is number of them.

I thing this might be the answer for our line.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
https://firmitas.org/images/TinCabin-Deck1.jpg

Here is a sharp looking one!

I just did a Google search for sea can cabins and there is number of them.

I thing this might be the answer for our line.

TEH
How much do they cost though?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Yes Nube that is the question how much. Going to check and see if I can find a price. But does it not look like it would work for what a guy needs for a line cabin. With the oil price maybe in 4-6 months a guy can get a deal on one.
TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Yes Nube that is the question how much. Going to check and see if I can find a price. But does it not look like it would work for what a guy needs for a line cabin. With the oil price maybe in 4-6 months a guy can get a deal on one.
TEH
I bet that set up there would be easy 30K plus. New cans are 4K each plus a welder doing all the mods. I would say close to 12K right there for the cans and welding mods required. Plus all that extra metal sheeting for the walls and roof. Then you have to finish the interior of it. Plus truck it to site and you can't winch load most cans so you would need a picker at $375/hour to set it. Not sure if I would call this option cost effective
Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Exactly why I posted what I did earlier on a handfull of posts back. Wood is cheap for sure and won't cost much. I wouldn't put up a cabin if it was more than a few grand I don't think
Old 01-21-2015, 09:10 PM

I would think you could build a small cabin for a few thousand as long as you don't put many windows in it and just leave the outside plywood with asphalt shingles. Plywood floors and walls inside. Not the longest lasting set up but certainly the cheapest.
I'm thinking a guy could do a decent 20' by 24' with wood siding and metal roof for around 25K or so. That's some decent windows, a steel door, t&g pine inside and laminate floors. With wiring and propane appliances you would be close to 30K. But it would last the rest of your life as well so IMO well worth it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I would think you could build a small cabin for a few thousand as long as you don't put many windows in it and just leave the outside plywood with asphalt shingles. Plywood floors and walls inside. Not the longest lasting set up but certainly the cheapest.
I'm thinking a guy could do a decent 20' by 24' with wood siding and metal roof for around 25K or so. That's some decent windows, a steel door, t&g pine inside and laminate floors. With wiring and propane appliances you would be close to 30K. But it would last the rest of your life as well so IMO well worth it.
8 years ago I built a 24x32 cabin at the lake it had a loft steel roof all weather windows and doors. I used 2x4 wall wood I beam joists built on 12 3x3 X1 concrete pads. Hauled everything to the site myself including trusses from Alberta truss. Had the cabin up and closed in for 10,0000.00 this included spray foam insulation in the walls and the underneath. Finishing it putting a decent wood stove cupboards appliances and all the electrical was another 10,000.00.

I would think with today's prices you could probably make a pretty decent line cabin for 12-15,000.00 all said and done. Steel roof metal cladding a lot of your cost will be decided in how luxurious you want this to be.

You could go into any lumber yard with a dimension and an idea of what you want and they could give you a quote on materials. A guy at work just built a 24x24 garage and the package cost him 6500.00 last summer. Not including grade work electrical and concrete.

BW
Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 PM

Hopefully I'm guessing high BW, time will likely tell
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 PM

I priced out a seacan "cabin". Not worth it !!! You still have to insulate, move it there and cut in windows and vents, stove pipe and a man door. And If you have windows in a seacan it is just as secure as a OSB built cabin as the windows and man door will still be the weak point.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:26 AM

what ever you do, don't use OSB in your cabin build. all kinds of critters and insects love chewing on OSB. all that glue attracts them. and you'll spend more money trying to protect it from the elements/moisture(wrap/siding,ect). it also weighs alot more that just regular 3/8's sheeting.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM

Good point thanks Brag
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM

6 G will build you a nice 14x24 cabin with tin roof. no problems with the osb yet, but I can see it happening...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
what ever you do, don't use OSB in your cabin build. all kinds of critters and insects love chewing on OSB. all that glue attracts them. and you'll spend more money trying to protect it from the elements/moisture(wrap/siding,ect). it also weighs alot more that just regular 3/8's sheeting.
plywood is also glued together, and as far as I know they use the same glues as osb (phenol formaldehyde) the only thing plywood does better is it takes longer to delam when it gets wet. A lot of osb manufacturers now also apply borax (insecticide) in their process as a "marketing tool" to compete against the perception that plywood resist insects and rodents better than osb
Old 02-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Default cabin

Nube , Brian B. had a good write up in AO magazine last winter. He showed how he hauled material into his mountain line. Also built in 2-3 days, had son and 2 son in laws that were carpenters. You might also PM him and ask how he handled the new Forestry approval process for line cabins.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM

http://www.cratexcontainer.com/locat...lgary-sea-can/

This company is located in Calgary. Pretty cheap sea cans.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Smile A long way from "Nova Scotia" architecture

In Grand dad's day it was just some snow fence and tar paper! It was cheap, as I recall and that was just for an extra room.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 PM

Default I want to build a new cabin

From what I hear, the Morinville Hutterite colony does some good work. Might want to consider that option:

http://morinvillecolony.com

The Holden colony builds portable buildings:
http://holdencolony.com
Old 02-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
From what I hear, the Morinville Hutterite colony does some good work. Might want to consider that option:

They sure do some quality work those boys eh. By the looks of that manufacturing facility they must be doing well
Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
They sure do some quality work those boys eh. By the looks of that manufacturing facility they must be doing well
Rumor has it...The Holden boys Grossed over 3 Mil in sales last year
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

Some really good ideas on these sites for a little line cabin.

BW
Old 02-02-2015, 07:39 PM

My brother makes these also has some that the window and door a have metal shutters when you leave to keep it secure
Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Nothing like heading back after a long day on the line and pulling up to the old seacan