Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM

Default scents

Need some opinions on this.
How far do you think a Lynx can smell a good quality attractant scent? Normal winter conditions.
In other words, how far can a lynx be from the lure and have him respond?

Same with Marten and Fisher.

Anyone know?

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 AM

until they start talking, its hard to say with any certainty. some respond from a long distance. some don't respond standing on top of it.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 AM

Default scent

Guys, I agree that need to ask mr, marten. However just as an indicator I can drive my sled along cutline and marten box can be 200 feet off line and I can smell marten magic lure that far. Most animals can pick up scent up to 10 times as well as people, bears are 10 times better than a dog. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Last week I had a cat come out of the bush on one side of the road go straight across to the other side directly to my set. The young female crawled right through the bush of my snare pen and crawled in a 330 box. So she came from at least 50 yards and she was on a mission. I have also see cats walk 10 yards from a set and not even walk up to it. I think the wind has to be the right direction and at the the end of the day the cat has to be in the right mood. One cat will charge into a set and the next could care less and just keep on trekking
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 PM

I was out trapping marten and I had marten tracks go within 2 feet of the tree my box bait and magnum musk scent was. I was reluring ever 2 days. I know probably too much but I trap marten for 10days a year so. There was no way the marten didn't smell the scent. So I think it depends on the animal or its hunger. It was unusually warm that 10days so I don't think that helped anyway.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Interesting to say the least. A couple trappers I know make their own lynx lure, but I was wondering if any of you have a commercial brand that you like. I want to add some scent lure around my caller when I bring lynx in for the camera. I'm thinking it might help in some cases. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Default scents

I watched Trappers Inc. on T.V. last night, and they were snaring lynx. Very interesting. They touched on lynx lures, so you might want to see the program if you can.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I watched Trappers Inc. on T.V. last night, and they were snaring lynx. Very interesting. They touched on lynx lures, so you might want to see the program if you can.
Thanks trigger, I check into it
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM

IMHO...as well as scent i would use a decoy when calling lynx as they are very curious...hence why trappers use visual stimulants at there sets...ie: Cd's or flagging tape
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Gone Hunting

I found that attractant scents results were unpredictable.
Some times my scents would draw them in from a 100 yards or more and other times they got no response at all.
I figured it is more about what that animal finds interesting on any particular day. Let's say it has a full belly, so them maybe a food attractant wouldn't work so well.
On the other hand if it's breeding season, a animal based lure like for example, urine, might get a response from further then one would expect, if it were appropriate for that species.

I also found Lynx to be less inclined to investigate a scent then say a Marten or Fisher. Eventually we formulated our own Lynx scent that seemed to work most of the time, but never from a great distance so far as we could tell.

It seemed to me that Lynx had to be within 20 yards for the scent to really work where I've had Marten and Fisher come in from more then a hundred yards distance. Mind you there were extreems amoung all species both for responding from afar and from not responding at all, even from point blank range.

George Bernard Shaw