Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Default Muskrat help

Today on the line I was checking out an old slew! I noticed over a dozen small piles on the ice! Maybe 4 inches above the ice! At first it looked like pile of cow shyte! I inspected them and popped one open! It appears they are muskrat holes! The water is right there at a small open hole!

How would you trap these! I need more fur to keep my warden happy!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Don't bother with the small ones like that. The reason is that as soon a it turns cold you will freeze them out if you open them and kill them all. You need to find a big hut to cut into or you can take an ice auger and drill a hole next to the pushup and put in some baited boards for them.

I got one rat today checking coyote baits. The poor little guy must have been flooded out with this warm weather and was looking for a new home. He found it in the back of my truck for now lol
Old 01-27-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Today on the line I was checking out an old slew! I noticed over a dozen small piles on the ice! Maybe 4 inches above the ice! At first it looked like pile of cow shyte! I inspected them and popped one open! It appears they are muskrat holes! The water is right there at a small open hole!

Why do you need more fur to keep F&W happy?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM

They want to see a min if 25 furs per year from us! Not that I'm not trying just not connecting with much this year!

Hey Nube, can't seem to find any of the larger huts, will look around more!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Those little push-ups are easy to trap. Just make a hole and a lot of times there is a little ledge where they like to sit. We used to put a 1 1/2 longspring on that ledge. Small coil springs would work better though as sometimes there's not much room. If it's really cold you could put a piece if styrofoam over the hole you made. We just packed the weeds back on.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:29 PM

The hole I opened up only had a very small spot above the ice! Was a very definite hole where they exit the ice, but doesn't seem to be much room for a trap!

Funny thing is ... I was at this slew 4 days ago and didn't see any if these push-ups . Now there must be 20 of them!

Any advise on how to trap these rats will be very helpful. I have never trapped rats before!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
They want to see a min if 25 furs per year from us! Not that I'm not trying just not connecting with much this year!

Hey Nube, can't seem to find any of the larger huts, will look around more!
Or what happens? Never heard of this before. Just a local office decision?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:

I thought you were talking about your wife lol
I was going to say I wish my wife would complain about me needing to trap more and catch more fur lol
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Or what happens? Never heard of this before. Just a local office decision?
No idea bud! But I try to trap to my best ability so if I can take this as a learning opportunity then perfect

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM

On another note it's nice to see F&W taking an interest in the local trappers actually utilizing their traplines.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:56 PM

I don't think they can enforce anything right now if you don't get some fur off it. Never heard of that before.
You can trap those push ups but I have found they freeze over real fast. How deep is the water? I would just do a baited set under ice if there is not a shelf to lay a trap on. If there is a shelf you can put any leghold in there with a long chain so they drown when they go down the hole after they get caught. I have caught a few with baited Conibears as well before
Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM

Water is over 3 ft deep at these holes! I don't think they can enforce a min catch either but I will try!!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-27-2015, 04:14 PM

Yes,I forgot to mention that you have to use a long chain.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I don't think they can enforce anything right now if you don't get some fur off it. Never heard of that before.
They likely can't nube, but When they can one day these guys won't forget who catches fur and who doesn't. In Ontario they have minimum quotas set for beaver. Don't get 75% of your quota for a couple years in a row and you better have a good reason or else they will take the line. I know a couple people personally that ended up with these lines after they were taken.

Not trying to derail your thread Mark.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 PM

I hear ya Tork.
Mark, if you come down here we can get you 30-50 in a day if needs be lol
Your only real chance if there is no shelf is a hanging coni under the ice baited with parsnip works best. I have had a lot of snapped traps this way as well and it doesn't always catch them. It might even whack them on the head and is not my favorite way to catch them.

Your other option again if you can't put a trap in the hut on a shelf is to under ice trap them with a baited stick similar to what I do with my sticks.
Cut a hole in the ice around the hut and put a flat board with a leghold hanging on a nail. Then above the trap another nail with some bait. The idea is he will come and try to hold onto the stick to get the bait and will grab onto the trap. It works best if the bait is too far under the ice. To me it is a tough way to catch fur. You might be better off catching weasels lol Maybe go shoot some squerrels?
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Default bubble's

Hey mark work the edges of the slough and see if you can find their bubble trails coming out from bank,cut ice out place submarine or colony trap in run,BAMB lots of rats,cheers Peter
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Bamb!!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Hey mark work the edges of the slough and see if you can find their bubble trails coming out from bank,cut ice out place submarine or colony trap in run,BAMB lots of rats,cheers Peter
If you don't find the main hut in the reeds then check the banks. As PCP said. I found with those little mounds it was either just a breathing stop off hole or a feed bed. I have steaked a 120 over the hole before a real nice day when they stuck their head out for sunshine.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM

I've watch muskrats make these push ups. Usually in dec, I've never had good luck trapping them an ususally ended up with a trap froze solid in the ice. You've got way better odds setting a foothold for a coyote as they always come an dig a push up out.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Those little mounds are called pushups and they are trapping gold for a rat trapper.
Easiest thing in the world to set.

Take an axe, swing at the mound from one side, parallel to the ice, as close to the ice as possible. What you want to do is pop the mound, (frozen vegetation wad) free of the ice below it. Kinda like taking your hat off.

You want to wind up with a wad of frozen vegetation shaped like a hat and a bare spot on the ice next to an open hole, made by the rat.

Place a #0, #1 or #1 1/2 trap centered on the depression next to the hole, with the chain coiled up under it. Make sure the trap is stable, does not rock from side to side.
Run the chain to the outside ring of where the pushup was, then place the pushup cap back in place. You want it to appear as though you never touched it.

Tie the trap chain to a drag of some sort. I use a couple foot long stick stout enough to hold a rat. If you have some snow around kick some over the mound to help keep it from freezing down, and on to the next mound.

What should happen here is the rat will come up to do his feeding above ice, or just to have a few good breaths of air before continuing on his way.
He'll climb out onto his bed and end up getting caught. What should happen next is he should dive, a natural response to danger, and the weight of the trap will hold him down and he'll drown. That's why you want the chain inside the hut.
I know some old school rat trappers who would replace the chain with a 16 to 20 inches of 1/8" aircraft cable with a noose at the free end end.
Much easier to coil under the trap, more then strong enough, plenty long enough for most ice conditions. Some chains are too short for the deeper ice conditions. And the noose can be passed over the end of a stick and close firmly much quicker and easier then the chain can be.

The whole thing should take only a couple of minutes once you catch on to doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Gone Hunting

For those new to trapping. A tip.

When using a long spring leg hold trap, always cock the spring to the trigger side when you are setting the trap.

This will keep the free jaw lower and thus lower the profile of you whole set.

George Bernard Shaw