Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Why I have switched over to Senneker kill snares

After trying all sorts of springs and locks, I have settled on the Senneker kill springs/trigger with BAD's as they seem to dispatch quickly and Marty's BAD's work just like this. This came from the first deer I have caught in fifteen years, it crawled under this fence (my knife shown for scale is 8.5" long, the space was barely 10" high between chin lift log and bottom strand). The BAD pulled apart as shown, deer left some hair in the lock.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Default the pics

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...pse53e392e.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/...pscaa131b2.jpg
Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 PM

How big # break way device . I've lost 4 coyotes with a 265 on a 14 foot snare with kill spring and trigger. Changing to a bigger breakaway device. http://. Coyote took one run made a dead stop and walked off.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM

Had a buddy loose 5 or 6 this year with the BAD and he only caught around 30 for the season. I would be ticked
Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 PM

I only started using them end of Dec till 20th of Jan. Glad I didn't lose any more. In Craig O'Gorman s snaring book he writes that a coyote on a 10 foot snare will have over 300 pounds of force. From the tracks I seen I truly believe it. In 20 days I caught over 30 dogs. Lost 4 with BAD. So if I lose 4 coyotes for every 30 at 163 coyotes snared to date I would be ripped. 20 dogs at 100 avg.

Last edited by coy coyote; 02-03-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:32 PM

I had one deer open a breakaway this year and one coyote opened a breakaway last year. I'm using 265 pound Bads. For reference I've caught 88 this year and no lost coyotes on a twelve foot snare.

Are you overcrimping those BADs Coy?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 PM

I lots a couple coyotes on BAD..

I did have a deer break one and free itself though. Which is good.

What do guy's do when they also have wolves running around? My thinking is a wolf will break a BAD easier than a deer will so there's no point using them unless your willing to do "catch and release" wolf snaring.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 PM

Default Bad

I use 265 breakaway which I over crimp never lost any coyote's and had a deer get in one and hardly made a ruckus and popped it easy running 5 ft replacement snare on 7 ft extension,just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-04-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I had one deer open a breakaway this year and one coyote opened a breakaway last year. I'm using 265 pound Bads. For reference I've caught 88 this year and no lost coyotes on a twelve foot snare.

Are you overcrimping those BADs Coy?
I did over crimp a few. I'm wondering if they really are 265 . Now my buddy likes the 265 BAD and has caught a wolf with 1/16 and a 265 BAD and a kill spring. Would I have gotten an ill batch? Maybe.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
I did over crimp a few. I'm wondering if they really are 265 . Now my buddy likes the 265 BAD and has caught a wolf with 1/16 and a 265 BAD and a kill spring. Would I have gotten an ill batch? Maybe.
They should be over crimped Coy. I don't go real crazy but pretty heavy over crimp.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:36 AM

With over crimping what do you think the strength is. Or is it 265 with heavy over crimp.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 AM

it would be interesting to know where these high percentage BAD failures on coyotes where produced/purchased?

it's more than likely, a quality issue. if it was over crimped it would be broke clean. not straightened out.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM

I don't get it. ive taken over 100 coyotes this year never had one coyote break one breakaway and had three deer released. also caught about 30 wolves in the last five years and had 3 moose released and I hear all the trouble other people are having. not sure why ive never had an issue.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:26 AM

where do you get your stuff from wally dog?

i haven't had any issues either. purchased locally.

i have had trouble with lighter barrel swivels. and wouldn't recommend them.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 AM

I liost 5-6 coyotes this year to 265 BAD failures. I dont this it was the devices fault. I think it was operator error when initially crimping the device. I bought my first batch of snares from the snare shop. After the 5th lost coyote i began over crimping them. I did not loose another coyote after that.

Slow learner....
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
I don't get it. ive taken over 100 coyotes this year never had one coyote break one breakaway and had three deer released. also caught about 30 wolves in the last five years and had 3 moose released and I hear all the trouble other people are having. not sure why ive never had an issue.
Some guys have all the luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM
AO Sponsor

265 lbs is the breaking/opening point when the s-hook is not overcrimped. Yes this is on the light side if used in this manner, this is intentional for use with long snares with kill springs when working in heavy big game populations. Some of us have to work around livestock, not recommended but occasionally necessary, nobody wants to kill a cow or a horse.

Use the 265 crimped normally to avoid unnecessary heavy loss of big game when working in heavy populations.

For the guy that wants to use short snares for entangling coyotes more-so than relying on equipment to make the kill, expect losses with the 265. When a coyote wraps a snare around entaglement, when the entanglement is tight to his neck, it gives his body increased leverage to wrench a breakaway open. To reduce loss, overcrimp the device and increase the BAD rating to approximately 325# +/-. Really not difficult, but I'll try to build another BAD or two for those that dislike this concept. Apparently there are those in Saskatchewan govt who dislike this device; that it is too light in their opinion, who would deductively prefer to see more big game destroyed than trappers losing the odd coyote. Kind of backwards of a government agency. If all government agencies thought this way I would never have worried about accidental big game catches as I have, and the 265 S-Elite would never have been made!

I use strictly the 265 lb Senneker-Elite BAD. I have used this breakaway device exclusively for about 10 years, as long as I have been making it. I never lost 4% of my coyotes, ever, even with non-overcrimped snares, but have made a habit of overcrimping the device to reduce loss. I think I can safely say that I have personally killed at least 7000 coyotes with the Senneker-Elite 265 lb BAD!!! Perhaps more? maybe less? How about +/-

One of the biggest beauty's of the 265 is the thin diameter of the device which minimizes binding/friction with the hole of the snare lock. Binding of the BAD is a major hurdle to deal with when releasing deer as they do not put down a lot of force on a snare and die very quickly. If I lose the odd coyote, maybe 1% or less, it is not a difficult thing to catch it in the next snare on down the trail.

O'gorman makes his quotes, that's nice, also sells his buddy's 90 lb Hopkins BAD which has a most silly rating. The Hopkins 90 lb breaks at 465 lb in a loop when subjected to the same break test the 265 S-Elite was rated through. When used with a torsion or compression spring, the 90 lb hopkins kills much game. This is the lightest BAD that O'gorman promotes, not going to lose a coyote with it but you will make a mess! I know... I have with this device. Seems to me that the 90 lb Hopkins breaks at 140 lbs on a straight pull, the 265 lb Senneker-Elite breaks at 85 lbs on a straight pull.

Rating of BADs has been a sore spot for the trapper, we buy stuff that sounds good then we go out and use it and have poor results. Buyer beware...
Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
where do you get your stuff from wally dog?

i haven't had any issues either. purchased locally.

i have had trouble with lighter barrel swivels. and wouldn't recommend them.
all my snaring stuff comes from trapper gord all the breakaway are martys never had a problem
Old 02-04-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Some guys have all the luck.
nah I make my own snares make sure I snare in the right places with good entanglement never have trouble. I think you have to us the right equipment for the right spot. for example if I snare under a fence or grass slough where there is no entanglement I go to a ram power snare if I have good entanglement I go with the seneker snare don't think you should get hung up on one or the other. sometimes a snare wont work I go to a foothold.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Default 265 bad

I'm glad that they are on all my snares and had a deer pop one which was over crimped with ease,as by the amount of disturbance on ground was very sparse,never had coyote pop one yet.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
In Craig O'Gorman s snaring book he writes that a coyote on a 10 foot snare will have over 300 pounds of force.
I'm going to guess that it makes a difference if you are anchoring high in a tree as opposed to low at a fence line. I anchor high and I've caught some really big dogs. No issues with my 265# BAD's whatsoever.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm going to guess that it makes a difference if you are anchoring high in a tree as opposed to low at a fence line. I anchor high and I've caught some really big dogs. No issues with my 265# BAD's whatsoever.
I have taken 12 off fenceline at feedlot all anchored at bottom and no BAD pops due to dogs and I caught some dozzies,that's where deer got in one and popped over crimped 265 with little to no disturbance.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Default why i have switched over

I've had no problems with coyotes opening up a 265 lb. BAD. They work very well on deer though. I really like them, and wouldn't use a snare without them.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM

I like what I'm reading.

I'm still worried about a wolf breaking a 265lbs one. I've never over crimped them but I will try next year to over crimp and use them. If I loose one wolf I will take them all off though.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The snares I bought from the States came with 285# BAD's installed , at least that is what they rate them . They are much heavier than Marty's , too heavy in fact . I purchased Martys 265# ers and am installing them on all my snares now .I'd rather have the odd one open on a coyote than the old ones which don't open for deer .
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I like what I'm reading.

I'm still worried about a wolf breaking a 265lbs one. I've never over crimped them but I will try next year to over crimp and use them. If I loose one wolf I will take them all off though.
Step up to next size BAD IMO
Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM

The BAD I used on the thread started was a 265, very slightly overcrimped, 8-10' 1/16 1x19 as per Marty's recommendation, never had a loss yet, only a couple messy catch circles, usually on crawl unders with low anchor points. I have driven past a couple of catches that I almost missed due to no disturbance and have gone from 3/32 to 1/16 with higher catch rates and easier to work with snares. All materials except wire purchased through Marty's store.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM

Didn't know I needed hip waders in the trapping section. Wonder what he's paying per post
Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I like what I'm reading.

the 265breakaway is way to small for wolves you will have to go to the 750s
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Didn't know I needed hip waders in the trapping section. Wonder what he's paying per post
not worth commenting on a response like this guess you have no good info to help the snaremen on here.