Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Wolf Bounty in BC

I wish they would make a bounty this much for wolves in Alberta. I think a lot of trappers would at least try to catch them. My buddy just caught a couple the other day and is not even sure if he wants to spend4 hrs working on one to get $150. They sounds like they are bit of work to get ready for auction

http://www.trapper.ca/cnta/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10573

Here is the thread on another trapping forum.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM

Several trapping locals provide incentives for wolves for their members. There are some rules, but the payouts are decent. Sundre, Rocky and the South Country locals, maybe others.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Unless they are poor quality wolves you should still be able to make some decent money on them. My buddies a taxidermist and does them up for $100 and then you can get them tanned for another $150 or so. Lots of guys will pay $750-1000 for good sized ones south of the border. I had several PMs from guys that wanted that big male and the black female I caught earlier this year. $500 profit on a wolf is decent in my opinion.

But a bounty on top of that would be just awesome
Old 02-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Unless they are poor quality wolves you should still be able to make some decent money on them. My buddies a taxidermist and does them up for $100 and then you can get them tanned for another $150 or so. Lots of guys will pay $750-1000 for good sized ones south of the border. I had several PMs from guys that wanted that big male and the black female I caught earlier this year. $500 profit on a wolf is decent in my opinion.

Ya that would be good money right there Tork and would be worth it. Problem is finding the buyers I guess. Is that $100 you pay to skin them for Taxidermy?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ya that would be good money right there Tork and would be worth it. Problem is finding the buyers I guess. Is that $100 you pay to skin them for Taxidermy?
Yep. Cased or for rugs. I heard Dale Dryherb (not sure on spelling) is charging $80 this year. That's with paws and claws in with lips split and ears turned.

And yes with any market finding the buyers is the difficult part. But hey if a Big Tine Outfitter can sell B&C racks on EBay for $4500 a piece we shouldn't have too much trouble unloading some legally harvested wolves
Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM

Must have missed that one on the racks for sale lol
My buddy was having a hard time to find anyone to skin his wolves.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Must have missed that one on the racks for sale lol
My buddy was having a hard time to find anyone to skin his wolves.
Just google Blake Shmyr, I'm not a fan of the poacher so I don't mind sharing. There was a good thread in the hunting section a while back as well.

May check with the local colonies as well to see if any of them are interested in skinning
Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Selling to the U.S. ? Do you need a Cites?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Selling to the U.S. ? Do you need a Cites?
Yes you do Sir. My taxidermist gets the permits for me. $25 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:47 PM

I like your taxidermist Tork. Wish I had one like that and could get him to do all that work on a wolf for that much and get the return you are as well. Worth it if you can make that kind of money. They sure don't sell that well at the auction. Think they are around $150-200 for a pelt is all.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

Our Local pays out an additional $300.00 per wolf if you follow the rule book. It is called The Ungulate Enhancement Program.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Our Local pays out an additional $300.00 per wolf if you follow the rule book. It is called The Ungulate Enhancement Program.
That's a nice little chunk too, makes all that work worth it.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I like your taxidermist Tork. Wish I had one like that and could get him to do all that work on a wolf for that much and get the return you are as well. Worth it if you can make that kind of money. They sure don't sell that well at the auction. Think they are around $150-200 for a pelt is all.
If you look at the top lot wolves that's more reflective of the big pale wolves out here as well as the Alaska and arctic stuff. Not that they're all like that but lots sold with claws on for taxidermy.
The Eastern brush wolves that are averaging 60-70 pounds is what brings down the average. IMO anyway
Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 AM

Hey Nube if your buddy is out trapping wolves and doesn't want to skin them for the cash at auction, and to collect a bounty on top of that, maybe he should stay home!!! Why would you trap them, then complain about not enough money...
I trap to learn how to trap and spend time in the wilderness....any monies collected after that is a bonus!!!!
Being out there is payment enough for me...
Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 AM
Gone Hunting

In some states like California I believe it is illegal to import wolf or cougar hides, even with a Cites.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe823 View Post
Hey Nube if your buddy is out trapping wolves and doesn't want to skin them for the cash at auction, and to collect a bounty on top of that, maybe he should stay home!!! Why would you trap them, then complain about not enough money...
I trap to learn how to trap and spend time in the wilderness....any monies collected after that is a bonus!!!!
Being out there is payment enough for me...
No Toe he loves it and there is no issue. He just thinks it's too bad he doesn't end up making much after the work going into it but will still do it because he loves it. There is no Bounty up where he is at and most guys want $150 to skin them if you wven can find anyone to do it. The last wolf he did himself and took 9 hrs. He figured it would be best to hire someone to do it. He got 2 wolves the other day and both are nothing special for color and will just be going on the auction. Probably will only get a couple hundred bucks. An added bounty would just be a nice thing
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
In some states like California I believe it is illegal to import wolf or cougar hides, even with a Cites.
To be honest I've never had a hunter from California that killed a wolf so I can't say either way. But I know for sure the Washington, Oregon, Montana and Arizona are all good around it. So if a fella really wanted he could send it to a buddy then just drive home lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
No Toe he loves it and there is no issue. He just thinks it's too bad he doesn't end up making much after the work going into it but will still do it because he loves it. There is no Bounty up where he is at and most guys want $150 to skin them if you wven can find anyone to do it. The last wolf he did himself and took 9 hrs. He figured it would be best to hire someone to do it. He got 2 wolves the other day and both are nothing special for color and will just be going on the auction. Probably will only get a couple hundred bucks. An added bounty would just be a nice thing
If the wolves are of "lesser quality", look like big coyotes...just put them up like a big coyote. Cut the legs the same, lips the same, and remove the ear cartilage. These wolves are being bought for trim anyways. The nicer colors should be put up for taxidermy.

Spruce
Old 02-10-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
If the wolves are of "lesser quality", look like big coyotes...just put them up like a big coyote. Cut the legs the same, lips the same, and remove the ear cartilage. These wolves are being bought for trim anyways. The nicer colors should be put up for taxidermy.

Spruce
Thanks Spruce. That is what my buddy thought to do with them. They look like a big 110 lb coyote basically. I have never skinned one but how much more work is it than a coyote? I would suspect it to take half an hour to 45 min? I think I am going to try and get into a few of them next year and see if I can outsmart some. I have 3 areas I was seeing their tracks this year.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM

Default wolf bounty

Guys, what is the bounty being payed in BC, could not log into that site.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 AM

One guys saying cattlemans association pays out $685
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM

As explained by "bctrapper" on the CNTA forum:

There is no BC wolf Bounty. !!!!!
However, there is a BCTA incentive plan and a number of local incentives.

BCTA has secured funding from a number of organizations that benefit from lower numbers of wolves. It then offers prizes for 1) the best handled wolf pelt 2) the person catching the most wolves and a general draw that every wolf declared gets a chance at. The more wolves you catch the better are your odds.

Other incentives vary : Some guiding regions offer a per wolf incentive as well as some cattlemen's associations. Most areas it is $100 per wolf.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks Spruce. That is what my buddy thought to do with them. They look like a big 110 lb coyote basically. I have never skinned one but how much more work is it than a coyote? I would suspect it to take half an hour to 45 min? I think I am going to try and get into a few of them next year and see if I can outsmart some. I have 3 areas I was seeing their tracks this year.
I've rough skinned a couple ,basically like a coyote and it took me an hour .Had my coyote skinner do the one I got in Jan and he did all the work , lips ,ears , feet ,etc , took him an hour and he asked for $20 . I gave him 30 and a Havalon as a bonus for the good jobs he's done on dogs all winter . Sure gonna miss him when he quits skinning .