Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Pistol/revolver for dispatching

I know that persons holding a registered trappers license are able to get licensed to carry a side arm, can owners of a resident license do the same? I tried to find it in the regs but it is not there.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
I know that persons holding a registered trappers license are able to get licensed to carry a side arm, can owners of a resident license do the same? I tried to find it in the regs but it is not there.
Probably won't find it in the regs. Better of to get the cfo to email the forms to you and apply.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Default handgun

Guys, dont know for a fact, but I would be surprised if they would allow handgun carry around farms and acerages. CFO would feel better if handgun
on a isolated RFMA.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:52 AM

Question sidearms

Discrimination needs to end ,as for wilderness carry as in who can and who can't/ total B-------hit! All hunter's , and trained in handgun proficiency, wilderness adventurers, properly licenced should have the same right, for protection and possible dispatching of wounded critters. Mr. Blanely ( safety minister)needs to address this discrepancy, and not allow CFO's to decide / he can and she can't kind of attitude, which I'm sure violates the charter of rights. And yes I'm well aware of the wilderness protection initiative movement but don't see much happening, this needs to be brought to the safety ministers attention.---Titegroup.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 AM

I'm starting the process now. I will advise on the progress made over the next few months.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, dont know for a fact, but I would be surprised if they would allow handgun carry around farms and acerages. CFO would feel better if handgun
on a isolated RFMA.
Carry mine on farm or wherever I'm working. Ab or bc
Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'm starting the process now. I will advise on the progress made over the next few months.
Have you talked to the fish and feathers? The wildlife officer I talked to in gp gave me the impression that people shouldn't have pistols in the bush. The bc guy I was good. Didn't know much about Atc's but was very accomodating. Real good guy.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM

Thankfully it wouldn't be his decision.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Have you talked to the fish and feathers? The wildlife officer I talked to in gp gave me the impression that people shouldn't have pistols in the bush. The bc guy I was good. Didn't know much about Atc's but was very accomodating. Real good guy.
We have a good working relationship, I don't see F&W being an issue.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
We have a good working relationship, I don't see F&W being an issue.
Thought I did to. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM

I run a 177cal handgun single pump,single shot thats about 15yrs old.kills every coyote one shot in the ear thats still alive works great,just throw er in my trapping basket,backpack love it.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 PM

That's a good idea, probably cheaper too.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
I run a 177cal handgun single pump,single shot thats about 15yrs old.kills every coyote one shot in the ear thats still alive works great,just throw er in my trapping basket,backpack love it.
Not as effective on those 130 pound wolves though
Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Best part is they are not the Co2's witch are expensive buyin the little cartridges all the time witch are hard to find anymore.but I think buyin the crossmen single pump,single shot are hard to find anymore as well,but unreal convience,beat em up and will never fail ya cause no aiming involved walk up and proper dispatch every time
Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Not as effective on those 130 pound wolves though
Lol yea tork you got a point there.this system will convience most but not all.might be enough to runn the 22cal pellets but not sure lol.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:08 PM

I used to use my sons little 22cricket thats only 30" long and kill dogs with it using 22shorts but still a pain in the arse,never looked back since this little 177 cal single shot hand gun I'm using,got no idea how fast its goin but always been consistent.when I get home ill post a pic of it and it just might ring a bell for some guys if they no of somebody that has one and its a great little investment cause second hand at this stage,should be able to buy one for 40$ im thinkin.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
This would be handier than carrying a 10/22 across my back. One question......How do you put the muzzle to the dog's ear when he's not all tangled up?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 AM

Very carefully.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

I've only dealt with snared coyotes Dave and usually always tangled up,bet have had the rare one that was not,but I'm always snaring in willows,brush so not a big deal.ive just shot em in between the eyes at about 5-6feet away,
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
I've only dealt with snared coyotes Dave and usually always tangled up,bet have had the rare one that was not,but I'm always snaring in willows,brush so not a big deal.ive just shot em in between the eyes at about 5-6feet away,
A pellet pistol will be effective between the eyes at 5 or 6 feet? This has peeked my interest so I had a look at the pellet pistols on the Cabelas website. I'm just not sure if a 480fps pellet pistol would be enough. I suppose that a new toy would be okay to have if it doesn't work.....lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:34 AM

All I can can do is tell you what has worked for me Dave.go borrow one from a friend that you now is rated for 480fps.if thats what you would buy if you convinced yourself into it.walk up to a piece of half inch ply wood and giver beans.good quality wood in the plywood is gunna be way harder then the minimal thickness of a coyotes skull just above his eyes at 6'.
Make sure your wearing safety glasses though.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Banned

Good idea SC. I might even be able to find a coyote skull lying around.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Good airgun pistols aren't sold at cabelas. Need to buy on line at a airgun store. I use one for killing chickens in the bush. It's good 20 yards for accuracy and will go through 3/4 plywood with good pellets.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A pellet pistol will be effective between the eyes at 5 or 6 feet? This has peeked my interest so I had a look at the pellet pistols on the Cabelas website. I'm just not sure if a 480fps pellet pistol would be enough. I suppose that a new toy would be okay to have if it doesn't work.....lol.
It doesnt... I have a 440 fps pellet pistol at.177 caliber. Not quite 480 but close enough where i believe my experience is valid.
Had a fox in a snare, it was unfortunately still alive. Had my pellet pistol with me. The fox was wound up tight around the tree. I pulled the trigger at 2 feet. It most Definetly did not dispatch the fox..
Another thing i have noticed, just my opinion im not sure if its fact.
Is that co2 doesnt propell a pellet as fast at cold temperatures as it does in summer.
Only thing a pellet pistol at that fps is good for is dispatching rabbit with a head shot at very close range.
My old spring pellet rife that was rated for 494 fps couldnt do the job either..

Not at all calling bs on you SC, just wanted to give my. 02cents.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM

When I was younger I had a crack in half .177 pellet gun that was rated around 750 feet per second. It was a Diana, my father ordered it for me from Germany I believe. It cost him $350 in 1986 or 87 so you can imagine what it would cost today. When I was a teenager my buddies dad was slaughter in a 500 pound pig and we convinced him to let us try out the pellet gun on him. I used a permethius pellet (not sure on the spelling) at about 10 feet. When I shot that pig fell flat and never twitched. I know they made pellet pistols as well which are likely over 1000 feet per second now. Not sure if you would need a restricted PAL to aquire one or not but you would likely never get asked about it if stopped.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
It doesnt... I have a 440 fps pellet pistol at.177 caliber. Not quite 480 but close enough where i believe my experience is valid.
Had a fox in a snare, it was unfortunately still alive. Had my pellet pistol with me. The fox was wound up tight around the tree. I pulled the trigger at 2 feet. It most Definetly did not dispatch the fox..
Another thing i have noticed, just my opinion im not sure if its fact.
Is that co2 doesnt propell a pellet as fast at cold temperatures as it does in summer.
Only thing a pellet pistol at that fps is good for is dispatching rabbit with a head shot at very close range.
My old spring pellet rife that was rated for 494 fps couldnt do the job either..

Not at all calling bs on you SC, just wanted to give my. 02cents.
No fence taken buddy,all I can tell ya is ive got a crossmen single pump single shot that i guarintee is minimum 15yrs old.O idea the FPS but I can cleanly shoot through the old tabako tins at 20 feet,that was quite some time ago so not sure exactly the distance but I'm guarinteein ya it wasn't 6'.and have O issues dispatching a coyote in a snare the dozen times ive used it.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 PM

You are correct. A c02 pellet pistol will not fire at the same velocity in cold weather as it does in warmer weather.
The C02 will start performing poorly at about 40degrees F. It remains gaseous to a much lower temperature but lacks the required pressure to be used as an air gun propellant at those low temps.
The pressure of canister at 80F is about 969psi. At 40f your looking about 567psi.
Velocity would defiantly drop as well as risking freezup of components coming in contact with the C02 at that temp.
Just FYI.
Tullfan
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Sompthin a guy foresure has gotta figure out with the new guns in 2015 and FPS cause im guarinteein its gunna help out a lot of hobby trappers as I am.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Banned

Last summer I bought a break action Stoeger X10 pellet rifle that shoots a .177 pellet at 1200 fps. I wanted it to shoot pigeons in a barn without putting holes in the roof. If I could find a reasonably priced 1200 fps pistol, it might work. I wouldn't be concerned about the cold effecting the CO2 because I'd keep it inside of my jacket when I was checking snares.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Banned

It looks to me like a pellet pistol over 500 fps would require an RPAL to own and the same restrictions for carrying it would apply just like any other pistol. For pellet guns over 500 fps:

"These high-powered air guns are subject to the same licence and registration requirements as a conventional firearm. Owners and users are also required to store, transport, display and handle them safely in accordance with the regulations supporting the Firearms Act."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm