Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Default New flyfisher. Help me fill my first fly box.

Howdy to all who know more than I do...pretty much all of you. I've been spin fishing since I was 6 years old with out much guidance, It's only in the last few years (I'm 33 now) that I've really figured out what I'm doing and become far more passionate about fishing. I was just given my first fly rod by my wife for christmas. My past experience with fly fishing is almost zero. I plan on spending some nice afternoons over the rest of winter standing in a park practicing my cast.

What I'm looking for now is basically a rough starting point to fill my fly box. I know that the right fly to use will be dictated by the hatch, that I will have to learn over time how to pick the right time and place for which fly etc. I'm just hoping to put together a list for my first fly order, some of the basic, most used patterns and sizes for what I plan on doing, that I can build off of in the future as a grow into and learn the sport (art?) or fly fishing.

I'm planning on concentrating on nymphing and dry flies for the time being. I typically fish 3 places/types of fishing. 1) mountain/foothill creeks for brook trout 2)ram river or oldman for cutthroat 3) Bow river. So if you were just starting out....What would be the first things in your flybox? Thanks!