Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Racist slur towards people of Latin American background, mainly Mexicans. Supposedly they eat a lot of beans. I'm eating pork and beans in between typing!
Thanks for the reply. I like beans too. Sorry it hits a nerve for you though. Racism is kinda funny, or not that way.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Thanks for the reply. I like beans too. Sorry it hits a nerve for you though. Racism is kinda funny, or not that way.
I'm from Central Europe, the slur doesn't bother me. However it did raise some eyebrows among my Latin friends. Not a single one is planning to sue though!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Banned

I could be mistaken, but aren't team names an identity , to rally those players to be a contributor to the history of the team, not to mention where the team names originates, as part of their communities.
Not meant to be an insult but a championing of those names and even people they represent.
I mean it is only a name, to which they are referred to , that are playing as players a team sport.
Sense of pride being an indian or Eskimo.
Illiciting a response from their opponent who is so aptly named.

What's next ?

PETA going after the animal named teams?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

What's next ?

PETA going after the animal named teams?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 AM

Oldie but timely… Letter to the Editor........

I think all sports fans will get a kick out of this letter written to the Chicago Tribune....

No matter which side you are on in the matter of renaming the Washington Redskins, this is funny.
Here is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60s alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well, that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a diehard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers." (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers???)

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name, I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the ********s in Congress.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Deleted ..

Already posted by my good friend. That guy is quick.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand

Last edited by Redfrog; 10-19-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:23 AM

You can't say that's not funny lol.
Ridiculous and over the top and but funny.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Imagine what George Carlin could have done, with the material from this thread....
Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Imagine what George Carlin could have done, with the material from this thread....
That's brilliant!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Subject: Washington Redskins W: Name Change

NEWS FLASH - The Washington Redskins finally drop offensive name.

Dan Snyder, owner of the NFL Washington Redskins, has announced that the team is dropping "Washington" from the team name, and it will henceforth be simply known as "The Redskins."

It was reported that he finds the word 'Washington’ imparts a negative image of poor leadership, mismanagement, corruption, cheating, lying, and graft, and is not a fitting role-model for young fans of football.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 PM

So what about Vikings ?

Wouldn't that be disrespectful to people with Scandinavian heritage ???
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Banned

Has anyone here read George Orwells' "Animal Farm"? All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM

The name redskin came from white settlers and trappers who killed natives and sold the scalps of men ,women and children. They would have beaver skins , bear skins and Red Skins , so named because of the reddish colour of the scalp. So i have a problem with anyone thinking this name brings pride to natives when it's a huge reminder of how natives were and are still veiwed by many as less than human.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone View Post
The name redskin came from white settlers and trappers who killed natives and sold the scalps of men ,women and children. They would have beaver skins , bear skins and Red Skins , so named because of the reddish colour of the scalp. So i have a problem with anyone thinking this name brings pride to natives when it's a huge reminder of how natives were and are still veiwed by many as less than human.
Here's a good read.

The Lance and the shield.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=_nI...0lance&f=false

More than one side to a story.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoak View Post
So what about Vikings ?

Wouldn't that be disrespectful to people with Scandinavian heritage ???
I am still upset that I am not allowed to carry on my ancestors tradition of invading and pillaging whomever I please. That is nothing short of discrimination.