Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 07:14 AM

Default *Good news update post 79!!* Enjoy it while you got it! So long, farewell...

Since I joined AO 10 years ago I have come to think of this community as extended family. I have met many good people and have learned so much. I have always appreciated being a member and have offered support where I could but have received so much more.

At 54 I have had many challenges and have always battled through and have been able to be on the winning side. I take pride in that! This time I won't win but want to make the best of my situation. I am now at Uof A hospital and the body pains I have been suffering with since October have finally been diagnosed as terminal stage 4 cancer. It is nothing I could have ever been prepared for. Since the start of my pain I have been to many Doctors and I have been told I had bruised ribs, a hernia, need hip replacement, and a gamut of other possible scenarios. On Thursday I had a CT and the diagnosis was complete.
Although I am scared and really not accepting or can understand the situation I find myself in my thoughts are with my son, my wife, and my family.& friends. Like I said I consider AO an extended family so I want to share.
My hope with this thread is that I want everyone to learn though my post and the following comments just how special and valuable our time here is so make the most of it and to take the time to appreciate this gift. Tell your family you love them and hug your children. Be there for them and they will be there for you!
I am getting lots of support from my family, my friends have all come forward with overwhelming love. My final journey has begun...
Thanks AO. Godspeed....

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by tirebob; 05-26-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:32 AM

Prayers for you and you family through this difficult journey. You are to young a person to have to go through this. And yes the AO family will be there with support and kind words. Godspeed kind sir.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:33 AM

No words can express the thoughts or feelings. You and your family will be in our prayers.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:37 AM

don't know if you are a spiritual person or not, maybe a member here could bring you some kind of talisman like an inert cartridge, fishing lure, deer antler, or something for you to reminisce with if the road gets really rough. let us know.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:39 AM

Sorry to hear that, I will do all I can... Pray.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-21-2022, 07:45 AM

been battling 2 kinds of cancer for over 15 years

currently battling a terminal but in remission lung disease and never smoked,
some of us understand the worry and pain my friend just a little bit

try every day to remember good times and how you overcame difficult times

make the calls to friends and others yiu like and thanks the, for the times you had

anything we can do

I bought a sports car that we could do a burnout in front of the hospital or take you for a ride if you wish

anything else you can think of you would like us to do,
just ask many are more talented than I will ever be

let us know you are our friend

respectfully jeff
Old 05-21-2022, 07:45 AM

.............not sure what to say....

I, along with many others I believe, will pray for you, your family, and supporting friends...

Be strong my fellow AO friend...
Old 05-21-2022, 07:49 AM

Absolutely terrible news to hear, I have lost many friends recently, from cancer, depression leading to suicide, and other illnesses, life is too short, and at times like this, it just doesn't seem fair.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:58 AM

I don't have the words as that just put a lump in my throat.
I wish you the best of luck.
When God calls, ya gotta go.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:19 AM

So sorry to hear this. I don’t know you Teledogs but it choked me up to read what you wrote. It hits home for me as my mother went through this a couple years ago. She fought until the bitter end. Don’t give up man live your life to the fullest. You are in my thoughts and like others have said please just ask if you or your family are in need of anything. I’m in the Edmonton area, don’t be scared to reach out. Take care and God Bless.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:44 AM

Words can't express what I feel right now. If you or our family need anything let us know.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Since I joined AO 10 years ago I have come to think of this community as extended family. I have met many good people and have learned so much. I have always appreciated being a member and have offered support where I could but have received so much more.

At 54 I have had many challenges and have always battled through and have been able to be on the winning side. I take pride in that! This time I won't win but want to make the best of my situation. I am now at Uof A hospital and the body pains I have been suffering with since October have finally been diagnosed as terminal stage 4 cancer. It is nothing I could have ever been prepared for. Since the start of my pain I have been to many Doctors and I have been told I had bruised ribs, a hernia, need hip replacement, and a gamut of other possible scenarios. On Thursday I had a CT and the diagnosis was complete.
Although I am scared and really not accepting or can understand the situation I find myself in my thoughts are with my son, my wife, and my family.& friends. Like I said I consider AO an extended family so I want to share.
My hope with this thread is that I want everyone to learn though my post and the following comments just how special and valuable our time here is so make the most of it and to take the time to appreciate this gift. Tell your family you love them and hug your children. Be there for them and they will be there for you!
I am getting lots of support from my family, my friends have all come forward with overwhelming love. My final journey has begun...
Thanks AO. Godspeed....
Pains me to hear this teledogs, really don't have words- my thoughts are only for the best for you and your family in this.

Creeky....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 AM

I am very sorry for your diagnosis. Praying.

What hospital you in?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2022, 08:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So sorry to hear this, can’t imagine it but you have your loved ones and true support of all of us here.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2022, 09:13 AM

Very sorry to hear that I retired early for that very reason. I wish you and your family our thoughts in this trying time and hope somehow you can make it through. Weird things do sometimes happen.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:28 AM

So sorry to hear about your cancer i hope you take care of yourself your family will be a great help, the medical community does great things, lets hope they can help you, Nimrod
Old 05-21-2022, 09:32 AM

That is terrible news...positive thoughts for you and your family. You are one strong person, keep at it.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:54 PM

That’s a tough one, the toughest really, don’t miss a moment with your loved ones or your favorites places & activities (however able)

About two years back my brother in law had a similar diagnosis and they went on a bit of a ‘farewell tour’ road trip holiday.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:51 PM

So very sorry for diagnosis, God bless you and your love ones.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:47 PM

Best of luck to you teledogs. It's a shocking thing to hear those words from a doctor. Words that I recently heard though referring to Mrs. PTH. She is stage three pancreatic, started chemo three weeks ago and was so sick they have delayed the next round of chemo. Like many have said here - keep the faith. I know of others who had been given the get your affairs in order talk from their doctor and lived many more years. They aren't always right and sometimes God just isn't done with you yet.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:23 PM

I realize we've never met and I don't recall talking to you here, but I live near the U of A and if there is anything you need just ask.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:03 AM

Terrible news, I'm also going through the same thing CAT scan hopefully in the next month we'll find out for sure. Good luck on your struggles

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2022, 11:44 AM

I lost a best friend to cancer a few years back now. He was 54. I am glad to hear you have support of family and friends. Don't give up, my friend was given months, made it a couple years with experimental treatments offered by the Cross. Maybe you can get in on a trial like my friend did. Miracles do happen and I wish one for you and remission for years and years.

Take care
Old 05-26-2022, 01:08 PM

Default Delete 'so long, farewell ' good news update

Well AO you may not be rid of me yet...

6 days ago my diagnosis was terminal stage 4 cancer with no possible treatment. Sigh!

Yesterday I had a bone marrow biopsy (ouch!) And the diagnosis is definite. I do have multiple myeloma but the good news is I started treatment yesterday and I am being transferred to the Cross Cancer Institute today for more acute care. I was told I may be able to go home in a couple weeks with continued treatment out of the Hinton Hospital as day treatment. I am still healthy otherwise and my organs are cancer free. I look like I typically do, too bad lol. So my strength and health will carry me through this. I remain positive and hold on to no anger or remorse. I am taking this daily and very hopeful for a near normal life. There is no doubt in my mind that the support and faith of family and friends has got me to where I am today! Thanks AO for being part of that! I still believe my words in my 1st post hold true!

Thank you to everyone on AO for posting your kind words of encouragement especially to those who are in a battle like me. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you and if you need support or want to share experiences please reach out to me. It would be good for both of us! The AO support group is strong!

I am starting to blah blah blah, I just had to share this bit of good news. Never give in and keep the faith!

Sincerely
Carl

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 05-26-2022, 01:10 PM

never give in buddy
Old 05-26-2022, 02:59 PM
AO Sponsor

This is positive news! Keep the faith sir... The body follows the mind so stay positive and find joy wherever you can!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-27-2022, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

6 days ago my diagnosis was terminal stage 4 cancer with no possible treatment. Sigh!

Yesterday I had a bone marrow biopsy (ouch!) And the diagnosis is definite. I do have multiple myeloma but the good news is I started treatment yesterday and I am being transferred to the Cross Cancer Institute today for more acute care. I was told I may be able to go home in a couple weeks with continued treatment out of the Hinton Hospital as day treatment. I am still healthy otherwise and my organs are cancer free. I look like I typically do, too bad lol. So my strength and health will carry me through this. I remain positive and hold on to no anger or remorse. I am taking this daily and very hopeful for a near normal life. There is no doubt in my mind that the support and faith of family and friends has got me to where I am today! Thanks AO for being part of that! I still believe my words in my 1st post hold true!

Thank you to everyone on AO for posting your kind words of encouragement especially to those who are in a battle like me. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you and if you need support or want to share experiences please reach out to me. It would be good for both of us! The AO support group is strong!

I am starting to blah blah blah, I just had to share this bit of good news. Never give in and keep the faith!

Sincerely
Carl
Reposted because it is nice to have some better news once in a while.

You hang in there Carl.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-27-2022, 04:25 PM

That's great news, the people at the cross were incredible during my treatments years ago. Cancer treatments have come a long way, stay positive, I'm sure it will feel good to get home.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Sincerely
Carl

Hell ya!!! Keep positive and keep fighting
Old 05-28-2022, 01:32 AM

Stay strong and good luck.Glad to see you have so much support,