Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
https://youtu.be/t1816swmybk

Ya electric cars suck. Lol so does the driver of the Mustang. Then watch the Corvette lose. And if you keep watching other videos, you will see Porsche 911 lose in other videos. As always on here, people forget the difference between fact and opinion. I would love to buy me an electric street bike myself.
How did they fare at LeMans?

I wonder if that Tesla has a cage in it. I’m sure a 9 second car requires a cage by NHRA standards. Not that it matters, just curious if the rules are applied to it.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:38 AM

Really people give your head a shake. This is not the answer. EV IS BULL **** MOP Still using fuel to extract
What is the cost to get those batteries made, how much mining has to be done to extract the product to get that **** done to make your product. Like I have always said
I Am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT IN ANY FIELD
Please explain to me why I would need not 2 to 3 vehicles to enjoy my life as I do?? I drive long distance in Canada every summer.
One, to pull my trailer 400 km without stopping.
Do you have an EV for motorhome?? How far can I drive in CANADA??
Would it not take me twice as long to get where I want to go???
Old 08-06-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
How did they fare at LeMans?

I wonder if that Tesla has a cage in it. I’m sure a 9 second car requires a cage by NHRA standards. Not that it matters, just curious if the rules are applied to it.
Street legal 9 second cars, Tesla, Demon, Veyron, etc., don't need cages as per NHRA standards.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Really people give your head a shake. This is not the answer. EV IS BULL **** MOP Still using fuel to extract
What is the cost to get those batteries made, how much mining has to be done to extract the product to get that **** done to make your product. Like I have always said
I Am BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT IN ANY FIELD
Please explain to me why I would need not 2 to 3 vehicles to enjoy my life as I do?? I drive long distance in Canada every summer.
One, to pull my trailer 400 km without stopping.
Do you have an EV for motorhome?? How far can I drive in CANADA??
Every single one of those arguments was likely made by some when the car first came out vs the horse.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
How far can I drive in CANADA??
Lots of people drive across Canada in EVs…I think you need to actually educate yourself before you tell anyone to give their head a shake…..😉
Old 08-06-2022, 12:01 PM

Really don't care in the 1/4 MILE
ELECTRO MAGNETICS WILL DO YA WONDERS
You want something to go fast???
Old 08-06-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Lots of people drive across Canada in EVs…I think you need to actually educate yourself before you tell anyone to give their head a shake…..😉
Yes they can but the charging stations are not that close to really plan a long trip they can drive across Canada but definitely not at the same amount of time with a gas powered. Wonder how far you will go taking the scenic route through northern Ontario with your EV HWY 17 to 72 north to Sioux Lookout?? Ya nobody going there
Old 08-06-2022, 02:00 PM

The charging stations along the trans Canada are quite good and long trips are fine in the vast majority of Canada even if the charging network isn’t as good as it could be. Lots of remote trips that it wouldn’t work but the vast majority of people aren’t doing them. What some EV users do is rent an ICE for that once in a few years road trip instead of justifying a veh that don’t need 99% of the time. EVs have a place and sure aren’t going away.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:11 PM

I’m picturing a group of old men in the 1980’s, standing in a circle around a microwave.
Poking it with sticks.
“Not gonna work….”
“Won’t get hot enough….”
“I don’t like it….”
Old 08-06-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’m picturing a group of old men in the 1980’s, standing in a circle around a microwave.
Poking it with sticks.
“Not gonna work….”
“Won’t get hot enough….”
“I don’t like it….”
Hahahaha. I still don’t use a microwave very often.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Street legal 9 second cars, Tesla, Demon, Veyron, etc., don't need cages as per NHRA standards.
I didn’t know that. They must have changed the rules fairly recently to accommodate the demons. Or has that been the rule forever?
Old 08-06-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I didn’t know that. They must have changed the rules fairly recently to accommodate the demons. Or has that been the rule forever?
The cage rule just changed this year and has very specific requirements for the car to be exempt. Full details pop up if you google nhra 9 second rule.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:06 PM

For those interested you can watch pure EV formula type cars racing on the velocity channel. It is really neat to watch. It is the FIA Formula E series of races. All the majors are running, like Mercedes, Porsche etc. Never seen a Tesla though.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
All the majors are running, like Mercedes, Porsche etc. Never seen a Tesla though.
Lets just scale that back a smidge. Almost none of the majors, including Dodge, Ford, GM, Kia, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Fiat, VW, etc. are running. Nissan, Porsche, Jaguar, and Mercedes are, the rest being non-car teams, with the exception of McLaren and Nio.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Lets just scale that back a smidge. Almost none of the majors, including Dodge, Ford, GM, Kia, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, Fiat, VW, etc. are running. Nissan, Porsche, Jaguar, and Mercedes are, the rest being non-car teams, with the exception of McLaren and Nio.
Let me put it another way, most of the big players in formula 1 are playing with evs. None of the majors you listed as not participating are active in Formula 1, or much of most othe types of racing either. A few in NASCAR, a few in Rally racing etc but most makers have lost their old ties to the racing culture. .
Old 08-09-2022, 02:21 PM

Posted in a parkade.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:27 PM

Unintended consequences. I like my AM radio.

https://blog.consumerguide.com/end-t...ic-cars-radio/

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-09-2022, 03:45 PM

The bolt recall was one of the best things about owning the older bolts. We got a brand new battery pack with full new warranty and newer technology. It actually increased it's value.

I wish my Ram truck recalls did the same thing.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:03 PM

I think EVs are great for city commuting and for most drivers who don’t take remote trips or need towing etc. I personally find the environmental arguments for them relatively mute in Alberta where our electricity is generated by hydrocarbon combustion however. I doubt I will ever own one for what I do and what my hobbies are but I look forward to seeing how they evolve over time.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The bolt recall was one of the best things about owning the older bolts. We got a brand new battery pack with full new warranty and newer technology. It actually increased it's value.

I wish my Ram truck recalls did the same thing.
But I don't imagine the people that had to deal with the fires that led to the recall were as pleased with them. Those battery fires can't be quickly extinguished, they burn a long time.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:51 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4547869]Posted in a parkade.

[/QUOTE

I remember when they had those signs for propane vehicles
Old 08-09-2022, 09:08 PM

Signs were just the usual over action to something unknown. It was an easy software fix for most. The data is still relatively new but an ICE veh is much more likely to start on fire than EV vehs but it helps push a story people want to hear.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Signs were just the usual over action to something unknown. It was an easy software fix for most. The data is still relatively new but an ICE veh is much more likely to start on fire than EV vehs but it helps push a story people want to hear.
And many fires on ICE vehiclea are electrical fires, but they can be put out much easier than a battery fire on an EV.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sure not here to argue, but one does hear about the EV fires. ICE not so much, but the ratio is so wide maybe there's more to it?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King