Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 04:09 PM

Default Irony

Back in the 1970s we switched from paper bags to Plastic bags to save the environment. Today I went to get some fittings at Home Depot and was given a paper bag because , well the environment needs saving and the plastic bags which at one time were recyclable are now not environmentally friendly .

Back in the 80s and 90s there were tens of thousands of propane vehicles on the road because … the environment plus it was like 8 cents a litre. But then The government decided they should tax propane like all other auto fuel and presto change-o the enviro friendly propane vehicle went away as fast as the PCs with Kim Camble in charge

Now we have come to the realization that plastic drinking straws are also killing the planet so we went to… you guessed it collapsible single use (almost) only paper straws .
Now when I drop into the fast food place I get a plastic cup because suddenly the waxed paper cup is out favour I guess and paper straw wrapped in a plastic sleeve !😂. Thank goodness we eliminated the evil plastic straw .

We want to shut down all the coal power plants that are cheap efficient sources of power because they create so much smoke even though they are cleaner burning than ever before. Their coal is mined in hideous eyesore open pits but then we mine heavy metals for EVs from huge open pits that leech said heavy metals into the ground water but at least that is in China so it doesn’t really count .

We plant wind mills and solar farms that use up precious farmland and force farmers to cut back on fertilizer use and shrink their livestock herds (saving the planet) while at the same time we are worrying about a global food shortage. But we are told crickets might be the answer to a problem we didn’t have till the we manufactured it.

We pat ourselves on the back for attempting to cut Carbon emissions and to net zero by 2050 and then Mother Nature lights up BC and the western United States and produces more carbon emissions every 24 hrs that the evil Oil sands industry does in 5 yrs

We are all in this together , we must save the planet…. Who are we saving it for ?
Old 08-09-2022, 04:15 PM

You are totally on the money, couldn't agree more.

I live near Beach Corner, us West of Edmonton must think somewhat alike lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Back in the 1970s we switched from paper bags to Plastic bags to save the environment. Today I went to get some fittings at Home Depot and was given a paper bag because , well the environment needs saving and the plastic bags which at one time were recyclable are now not environmentally friendly .

Back in the 80s and 90s there were tens of thousands of propane vehicles on the road because … the environment plus it was like 8 cents a litre. But then The government decided they should tax propane like all other auto fuel and presto change-o the enviro friendly propane vehicle went away as fast as the PCs with Kim Camble in charge

Now we have come to the realization that plastic drinking straws are also killing the planet so we went to… you guessed it collapsible single use (almost) only paper straws .
Now when I drop into the fast food place I get a plastic cup because suddenly the waxed paper cup is out favour I guess and paper straw wrapped in a plastic sleeve !😂. Thank goodness we eliminated the evil plastic straw .

We want to shut down all the coal power plants that are cheap efficient sources of power because they create so much smoke even though they are cleaner burning than ever before. Their coal is mined in hideous eyesore open pits but then we mine heavy metals for EVs from huge open pits that leech said heavy metals into the ground water but at least that is in China so it doesn’t really count .

We plant wind mills and solar farms that use up precious farmland and force farmers to cut back on fertilizer use and shrink their livestock herds (saving the planet) while at the same time we are worrying about a global food shortage. But we are told crickets might be the answer to a problem we didn’t have till the we manufactured it.

We pat ourselves on the back for attempting to cut Carbon emissions and to net zero by 2050 and then Mother Nature lights up BC and the western United States and produces more carbon emissions every 24 hrs that the evil Oil sands industry does in 5 yrs

We are all in this together , we must save the planet…. Who are we saving it for ?
So true .
Old 08-09-2022, 04:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It’s like a dog chasing it’s tail, stop,have a kick and then continue on, eventually that dog dies and along comes another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-09-2022, 05:15 PM

Yep...Get a loaf of bread (plastic bag) with a cardboard tab? Makes a lot of sense...
Old 08-09-2022, 05:37 PM

People can be stupid

The 1982 dodge ram manual tells you how to properly dispose of radiator fluid

The 2022 dodge ram manual tells you not to drink radiator fluid.....
Old 08-09-2022, 05:37 PM

You nailed it,I gave a little giggle when we started to resort back to paper everything again thinking we must have an “over population” of trees again. Sure is fun times right now,I hate to say it but I wonder what tomorrow can bring…..
Old 08-09-2022, 06:07 PM

Eggs are bad.
Eggs are good
Eggs are bad again
But now they're good ... yay!
Eggs are bad...

But they're still good.

SSDD

Colin
Old 08-09-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:

What a stinking mess we are leaving for our kids and grandkids, I agree with everything you said..

Creeky.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 PM

Society is weak (minded) and getting worse by the day.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Yep...Get a loaf of bread (plastic bag) with a cardboard tab? Makes a lot of sense...
Or get a fountain drink in a paper cup with a plastic lid and a paper straw. Makes zero sense. More plastic in a cup lid then there was in a straw. Shake my head at the world we live in some days.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

BRILLIANT !!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:42 PM

The ironic part with the paper straws is I throw them straight into the garbage. Im not even allowed to throw them in the recycle bin where I work. At least the plastic ones got used once.

We have the technology to make coal burning plants "net zero" compliant but the government hasn't approved the technology yet. Instead they are giving all the funding to the new energies which have only proven to be less efficient and produce more pollution over the long run. Anyone know how much toxic gasses are released when a lithium ion battery burns in a fire? What are the environmental effects when the special fire fighting foams are used to put out said batteries?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-10-2022, 08:26 AM

We stopped at McDonalds in Whitecourt the other day. Ordered a sundae and we get a plastic cup, plastic lid and a wooden spoon. What a joke.
kidd
Old 08-10-2022, 08:46 AM

Unfortunately the plastics recycling game is a shame.

Very, very little gets recycled. Most gets stockpiled at landfills.

So while technically being inert, the anti oil lobby has again won by removing a market for oil and gas products.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-10-2022, 08:51 AM

A leading expert in the field has made the recommendation that the best way to eliminate emissions and pollution contributing to climate change is to increase the worlds wealth. Make fuel cheap. Make food cheap. Once people are no longer striving just to survive they naturally want to make the environment better on average. Jordan Peterson podcast #274 has a very clear explanation of this. $8/L gas will do more harm then good

I’m all about eliminating single use plastic containers. Plastic bags ball up nicely and can be reused multiple times so I see no reason to Eliminate then.

The government should take the money they are spending to “fight climate change” and throw that into working with the oil producers to create a cleaner forest. Canada doesn’t have an emission problem unless you are in Vancouver or Toronto they can do their thing.

Heck even cracking down on crime at public transit stops would be a big start lol

Last edited by ganderblaster; 08-10-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:03 AM

Paper straws and free speech, Wonder when it is coming back??
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:07 AM

You guys quit calling down our great Prime minister. After all in 7 years he has given us legal dope and got rid of plastic straws.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
You guys quit calling down our great Prime minister. After all in 7 years he has given us legal dope and got rid of plastic straws.
Let’s leave him out of this
Old 08-10-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Let’s leave him out of this
Yes. PLEASE
Old 08-10-2022, 04:36 PM

You are very correct on all points. We can and should do better however this has to be in measured steps.

I saw this picture awhile back and was astounded --- how much free energy does a wind turbine have to produce to cover the costs that went into the making of this cable? If you do not hit your forehead on this then what?

Old 08-10-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Well said
Old 08-10-2022, 05:45 PM

Can’t dispute any of what just seems so obvious as discussed in this thread thus far. All of the attention these days is focused on so called global warming.

I believe there are other pollution issues far more important starting with H20 that are far more legitimate.