Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2022, 06:08 AM

Default Looking into a new boat

Well after a couple years I am thinking my 10ft Jon with the 5hp merc needs a upgrade! I hunt ducks and fish for mostly pike from it. I am leaning towards a 14 foot Jon or aluminum just can’t decide on witch one. Looking to see what others have and your thoughts.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:33 AM

In my opinion a V boat is far better than a jon for the amount of wind we get here. They ride waves far better. The Lund WC or SSV utility boats would be hard to beat. 20hp minimum, the boats will like maxed out hp better. 25 on the WC and 30 on the SSV.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-30-2022, 07:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have a 14’ deep V Crestliner and put in a flat floor pushed by a 25 yammy which would fit your needs just fine.
If I was you I would look into a similar set up.
Good luck .

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2022, 08:48 AM

What’s your price range? I’m very partial to lunds but the other companies make a decent deep V tin boat as well. Agreed to max out horsepower after several underpowered work boats. The lund WC maxes at 25 while the SSV 16 can take 40. I think the ssv18 goes to 60hp.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:00 PM

This is our little fish slayer utility boat.
Nice that you can kit them out how you want relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

What size boat and motor? Looks like a sweet little set up!
Old 07-30-2022, 08:45 PM

Look at a 16' lund alaskan tiller. They make it in fall marsh pattern and guys have built removeable blinds for them. They also set them up to fish pike and walleye.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What size boat and motor? Looks like a sweet little set up!
2022 F25 Yamaha....wicked little outboard.

Boat is a 2005 and had a 15hp Honda but just upgraded the motor to max out the horsepower rating and have the ability to adjust trolling speeds by the push of a switch.

Boat itself is tuff as they come trust me as I am not easy on equipment

Old 07-31-2022, 05:13 AM

Lund SSV 14' with a 25hp would be my first choice. Get the drop in floor right from lund.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 AM

I agree that a 14' might be a better upgrade for what you want to do than a 16'. The 16' is considerably bigger side by side. The Yamaha 25HP is the best one out there right now because of it's insanely light weight relative to the competition. The drop in floor is a huge bonus, but don't buy it from Lund. It's ridiculously expensive...$450 for a couple of pieces of vinyl covered marine plywood as I recall. I made my own. Once I found where to buy the materials it was a piece of cake. I should actually do a video or thread on all the stuff done to mine.

I bought a Lund SSV-16 last season and wound up finding a new Merc 30EFI just outside Prince Albert. I've been trying the past year to get a 40HP Suzuki for it, to no avail. It does around 23-24mph with just me in it, and drops to 21 or so with my son aboard. Not bad considering all the weight I intentionally added to it.

Old 07-31-2022, 10:35 AM

I have a Princecraft Resorter 160, basically it is Princecraft's version of the Lund Fury.

I point this out as Princecraft is Canadian made and that is what made the decision for me.

Cue the Quebec jokes................
Old 07-31-2022, 11:50 PM

Agree with most of the posts here - get a V hull not a jon. a 14' or 16' tinner will not sit much deeper compared to a jon and is easier to push through places where a jon's flat bottom isn't an asset. The jons are also dangerous in any chop as far as I'm concerned.

I also recommend a Lund SSV and I'd get as big as your garage/budget allows. A 16' is still small enough to wrestle if needed but not much heavier than a 14' but you sure will notice the extra room it provides when/if a third person is fishing in there.

I'd also try and find one with a 20" transom (as opposed to the standard 15") which gives you better security in rougher water and chop.

Max your horsepower and I'd lean heavily toward a Yamaha or Honda. Bullet proof reliability and excellent resale value.

Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agree with most of the posts here - get a V hull not a jon. a 14' or 16' tinner will not sit much deeper compared to a jon and is easier to push through places where a jon's flat bottom isn't an asset. The jons are also dangerous in any chop as far as I'm concerned.

I also recommend a Lund SSV and I'd get as big as your garage/budget allows. A 16' is still small enough to wrestle if needed but not much heavier than a 14' but you sure will notice the extra room it provides when/if a third person is fishing in there.

I'd also try and find one with a 20" transom (as opposed to the standard 15") which gives you better security in rougher water and chop.

Max your horsepower and I'd lean heavily toward a Yamaha or Honda. Bullet proof reliability and excellent resale value.

Good Luck.
Yes everyone here has been helpful! The main reason why I wanted to upgrade is that I get pushed off the lakes when the winds come in. I am leaning more towards the 14 ft with just myself fishing and hunting with one other guy is all. The ssv or wc is what I am looking at right now at Nanton boat sales going to stop in and give it a real good look at on days off.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:26 AM

Out of curiosity can your dealer even get new WC/SSV’s? My local dealer in Montana said They can’t get them as Lund won’t even take orders and they’re trying to focus on the high $$ boats.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:44 PM

Funny how that works eh!
One dealer said to me ohhh boy we are hard pressed to get your yammy in so I waited six weeks then out of curiosity looked elsewhere and there was one waiting for me.
Shop around is all I can say.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I agree that a 14' might be a better upgrade for what you want to do than a 16'. The 16' is considerably bigger side by side. The Yamaha 25HP is the best one out there right now because of it's insanely light weight relative to the competition. The drop in floor is a huge bonus, but don't buy it from Lund. It's ridiculously expensive...$450 for a couple of pieces of vinyl covered marine plywood as I recall. I made my own. Once I found where to buy the materials it was a piece of cake. I should actually do a video or thread on all the stuff done to mine.

I bought a Lund SSV-16 last season and wound up finding a new Merc 30EFI just outside Prince Albert. I've been trying the past year to get a 40HP Suzuki for it, to no avail. It does around 23-24mph with just me in it, and drops to 21 or so with my son aboard. Not bad considering all the weight I intentionally added to it.

I've been thinking about almost that exact set up. Seems like it would be easy enough to pull the gas motor off to fish lakes around GP like Swan and Moonshine, and also give a guy the option to hit bigger water for lakers. It shouldn't break the bank too, I've seen used set ups for under $20K.

I think I really need 2 or 3 boats though. A lightweight jon boat for tiny water, a 16ft v-hull like the SSV for small to medium lakes and then a 17 - 18ft jet boat for rivers and big lakes.

I think I really need more money.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I've been thinking about almost that exact set up. Seems like it would be easy enough to pull the gas motor off to fish lakes around GP like Swan and Moonshine, and also give a guy the option to hit bigger water for lakers. It shouldn't break the bank too, I've seen used set ups for under $20K.

I think I really need 2 or 3 boats though. A lightweight jon boat for tiny water, a 16ft v-hull like the SSV for small to medium lakes and then a 17 - 18ft jet boat for rivers and big lakes.

I think I really need more money.
You don't need to pull the motor off to fish electric only lakes. Just don't use it...tip it up if you want to get extra points from the guys in tubes/pontoons/kayaks/canoes. I wouldn't take the boat out too far on Williston, but smaller laker waters like Carbon Lake and Gwillim with some common sense would be fine. Not hard to hit $20k even in a tinner nowadays sadly.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Lund SSV 14' with a 25hp would be my first choice. Get the drop in floor right from lund.
A SSV-14 with a new Yammy 25hp 4-stroke would be a great set-up.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Out of curiosity can your dealer even get new WC/SSV’s? My local dealer in Montana said They can’t get them as Lund won’t even take orders and they’re trying to focus on the high $$ boats.
Nipawin Lund has some tinners in stock - one 16' WC with a Yamaha 25 for $15K and the other is a 16' SSV with a Merc 25 for $20K

a couple others there too of different configurations - so looks like they have stock on the lot.

I'd have them swap engines and buy the 16 SSV with the Yamaha.

I see ABSOLUTELY zero 14' boats anywhere.

https://www.nipawinmotorsports.com/d...=xNewInventory
Old 08-01-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Hey Cat - really nice set up you have there - just noticed one thing there - looks like you have a radius edge deck board there to act as a spacer for the motor bracket. I assume the decking material is pressure treated. I would replace that with untreated lumber (or puck board) as pressure treated supposedly will react with Aluminum and can cause some issues for you.

Just a friendly heads up.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Nipawin Lund has some tinners in stock - one 16' WC with a Yamaha 25 for $15K and the other is a 16' SSV with a Merc 25 for $20K

a couple others there too of different configurations - so looks like they have stock on the lot.

I'd have them swap engines and buy the 16 SSV with the Yamaha.

I see ABSOLUTELY zero 14' boats anywhere.

https://www.nipawinmotorsports.com/d...=xNewInventory
Interesting! Maybe my dealer just doesn’t want to bother with the small boats. They were telling me lund won’t even take orders for them, that if anyone has them it’s from old stock left over. Making me second guess my choice of dealers….
Old 08-02-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
You don't need to pull the motor off to fish electric only lakes. Just don't use it...tip it up if you want to get extra points from the guys in tubes/pontoons/kayaks/canoes. I wouldn't take the boat out too far on Williston, but smaller laker waters like Carbon Lake and Gwillim with some common sense would be fine. Not hard to hit $20k even in a tinner nowadays sadly.
Oh nice. I was under the impression a gas motor had to be removed entirely. Good to hear it doesn't.

$30K seems to be the entry point these days for a good used 16 - 17ft boat suitable for larger lakes. $40K for a 15+ year old jet boat or a new lake boat. Boats are getting ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Oh nice. I was under the impression a gas motor had to be removed entirely. Good to hear it doesn't.

$30K seems to be the entry point these days for a good used 16 - 17ft boat suitable for larger lakes. $40K for a 15+ year old jet boat or a new lake boat. Boats are getting ridiculously expensive.
YUP - boat prices are CRAZY

I bought my 1800 Tyee with a 150 Honda for $42K brand new and well equipped in 2013

I could sell my boat today, in minutes, for far more than I paid ..... the same boat, equally equipped, is $130K right now. Triple the price.

CRAZY

Old 08-02-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
YUP - boat prices are CRAZY

I bought my 1800 Tyee with a 150 Honda for $42K brand new and well equipped in 2013

I could sell my boat today, in minutes, for far more than I paid ..... the same boat, equally equipped, is $130K right now. Triple the price.

CRAZY

That's a beautiful boat! I know The Great Panic jacked prices up a bunch, but they seem to have really gone beyond reasonable now. I'm hoping this recession drops the prices in a year or so.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
That's a beautiful boat! I know The Great Panic jacked prices up a bunch, but they seem to have really gone beyond reasonable now. I'm hoping this recession drops the prices in a year or so.
Thanks.

I see Aluminum prices are softening globally, which should help, but I doubt we will see much of a price drop. Much tougher to find a deal as more and more boat manufacturers are being gobbled up and acquired by consortium investors (like Brunswick Marine for production boats). Even some of the well known fully welded boat manufacturers in BC and the NW US are being consolidated (yet still have their own brand names on the boat) to fool consumers into thinking they have more buying options.

Prices are stupidly high. Who can afford a good boat now days !!! Just Crazy
Old 08-02-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Prices are stupidly high. Who can afford a good boat now days !!! Just Crazy
So true! I've been keeping an eye out for one for many years. At this point, between work and other obligations, I've come to the point that I wouldn't have the time to get the use out of it.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey Cat - really nice set up you have there - just noticed one thing there - looks like you have a radius edge deck board there to act as a spacer for the motor bracket. I assume the decking material is pressure treated. I would replace that with untreated lumber (or puck board) as pressure treated supposedly will react with Aluminum and can cause some issues for you.

Just a friendly heads up.
Thx for the heads up, there was a thread a few years back on pressure treated lumbar and how it can destroy your aluminum so when I put the spacer in it was untreated thanks to you folks on the forum for the information.

A great bunch here!

Old 08-03-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I have a Princecraft Resorter 160, basically it is Princecraft's version of the Lund Fury.

I point this out as Princecraft is Canadian made and that is what made the decision for me.

Cue the Quebec jokes................
Nope no joke they make the best aluminum boat you can get. Helps that I have one of course..
Old 08-03-2022, 05:37 PM

I’ve always been preferential to the Lund deep V boats. I recently spent a couple of weeks driving and fishing out of an Alumarine. Made in Prince Albert. Great boats. Will be my next boat. Just need to save though.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippyCanoe View Post
I’ve always been preferential to the Lund deep V boats. I recently spent a couple of weeks driving and fishing out of an Alumarine. Made in Prince Albert. Great boats. Will be my next boat. Just need to save though.
If I was to choose a riveted tinner for big water it would be pretty tough to beat an 18' alumarine (not all that east to find). Not fancy but they ride unusually well, pretty much every decent lodge in Sask has run Alumarines at some point.