Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2022, 06:59 AM

Default EVs Still have a long ways to go.

The Most Popular Vehicles in America
Tesla is clearly the fastest major growing auto company in the US, with revenues increasing 42% over the last year alone.

But is it the most popular? Not yet. The Ford F-150 continues to be the best selling vehicle in America and in no state is a Telsa (or any other EV) the number one selling vehicle.

Some interesting facts:
• The top 3 selling vehicles are all trucks (F-Series, Silverado, Ram).
• Toyota has 4 out of the top 10 best sellers (RAV4, Camry, Highlander, Tacoma).
• 8 out of top 10 are trucks or SUVs (only Toyota Camry & Honda Civic are not).
• The top-selling EV nationally is the Tesla Model Y.
• The top 5 selling vehicles in Alaska are all trucks.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:09 AM

They may have a long way to go but they have come a long way in a very short time and it dosnt look like they are slowing down. The sales they get are sales the ice vehicles lose.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:51 AM

Nobody has yet come up with an adequate affordable power supply for the intended number of electrical vehicles projected plus our other needs. check the latest increase in electricity costs. It's not going to decrease significantly, one reason being the present model was built on cheap natural gas, not so any more.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-30-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Nobody has yet come up with an adequate affordable power supply for the intended number of electrical vehicles projected plus our other needs. check the latest increase in electricity costs. It's not going to decrease significantly, one reason being the present model was built on cheap natural gas, not so any more.

Grizz
Agreed! Our power grids have issues with snow storms and ice storms at the current rate. Yet they want to totally eliminate gas coal and nuclear generation. How is it going to handle the removal of 50% of the gas vehicles from the road swapped over to plugging in every night to charge? I have no doubt it’s the future but they are setting unrealistic goals with faulty planning. First step would be upgrade infrastructure to handle the increased demand, then upgrade production and then change over to EVs.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:59 AM

They got a long ways to go but can't go a long ways in a drive. There is a challenge put out there with a gas truck and an EV truck pulling the same trailer. Ya gotta watch it and think "Why wouldn't I get an EV truck and go travelling" Cost vs Time maybe??
Here is the place to check out the challenge.
"How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper on ONE Fill-up?"
Just copy, paste and search if you want. Not sure how to post links
Old 07-30-2022, 09:28 AM

I see them as a good city commuter at this time but definitely not feasible for my location or lifestyle
Old 07-30-2022, 09:50 AM

If you live in a warm climate, and don't need to tow or drive longer distances, an EV may be usable for you, but they are nowhere close to being suitable for towing or longer distances, especially in cold weather. And if everyone was to run out and purchase an EV, we would not have the grid, or the electrical supply to charge them. And if they were to become that popular, we would soon run out of the materials required to make the batteries for them. In short, for our climate and driving distances, EVs are pretty much a novelty here in Alberta.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I see them as a good city commuter at this time but definitely not feasible for my location or lifestyle
Even for City commuting the pure electric don't work. My neighbour bought one, at anything below -15C he cannot make it to work and back, he has to charge it at the office and he only works 30 klms from home. At -25 he can't reliably make it to work one way. At -45 he can't get out of the neighbourhood. Hybrid is a viable option but battery technology has a long ways to go before pure electric works up here.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Even for City commuting the pure electric don't work. My neighbour bought one, at anything below -15C he cannot make it to work and back, he has to charge it at the office and he only works 30 klms from home. At -25 he can't reliably make it to work one way. At -45 he can't get out of the neighbourhood. Hybrid is a viable option but battery technology has a long ways to go before pure electric works up here.
Ok maybe tropical city commuter then lol

Either way not up to the standards I personally need in a vehicle
Old 07-30-2022, 10:20 AM

Ev vehicles in Canada should pay a yearly road maintenance tax.

Right now they are getting a free ride. Need to level the playing field and cost accordingly.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-30-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Strange. My buddy's Tesla commutes from the ski hill and back all winter long. Zero issues. Approximately 300km round trip.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Strange. My buddy's Tesla commutes from the ski hill and back all winter long. Zero issues. Approximately 300km round trip.
There are EVs that aren’t Teslas. If one ICE can go 1000km on 40 litres of gas does that mean a gas pot f350 can too?
Old 07-30-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
With no extra charge? Really? Hard to believe
Old 07-30-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
His is was a Leaf. Don't know what to tell you, I am only passing on what he told me. I know he sold it this spring because the dealer checked it out a few times and told him it was working perfectly, nothing wrong with the car or battery.

I did find this, the Tesla S is supposed to be the range Champion. Article says my neighbour's experience may not be uncommon.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/guides/tesla-model-s

Also found this test of range versus temp. It only goes down to freezing, which is 32 F or 0 C, and some lost over 30% of their range. Based on these results I have no trouble seeing -30 doing what it did to my neighbour's.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...-testing-shows

Last edited by Dean2; 07-30-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:58 AM

My question would be?? Can they make that battery without regular mining as it is? Would they use EV vehicles to extract the resources to get the minerals they need?? Also to produce the product? Would it be done by E-Evulsion to produce the Ultimate Vehicle??? I'm no engineer by no means, please explain why I need an EV?
Old 07-30-2022, 12:07 PM

I transport Tesla’s thru out the lower mainland and the island. When that performance becomes affordable, most will own one.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
He isn't going skiing at -30, where the range is less than half of what it is at +20.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:

I did find this, the Tesla S is supposed to be the range Champion. Article says my neighbour's experience may not be uncommon.
The EV with the longest range is the Lucid Air with a EPA range of 520 miles. In all reality, it would be a great car for almost everyone on this board. There is one drawback with it though, which is why they aren't terribly common.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:05 PM

If I were in the market (and could afford) a new urban luxury vehicle it would be an EV. That being said I'll be keeping my 10yr old Honda and 15yr old Lexus until they are no longer viable. The $60-$160K for a new EV will be utilized for a multitude of other things.

As for the cold weather range, it does diminish drastically when the mercury drops. My buddies wife took their new Model Y from Edmonton to Panorama last year between Christmas and New Years when the temp was hovering near -30C, and the six hour trip took closer to 12 hours due to the necessary re-charging.

One of my co-workers just purchased a new Model Y Performance for around $82K as he had ordered it before inflation went crazy. He's keeping pretty close tabs on the expense and will let me know what he thinks once the love affair is over.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I tend to agree, but there are a few more caveats at the present. With the lack of infrastructure, you essentially have to be a homeowner to make owning and operating an EV feasible and we can see how difficult the former is becoming nowadays. Never mind how much EVs themselves cost and with seemingly planned obsolescence built into modern electronic devices....[/rant]
Old 07-30-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
City folks can take the lrt According city of Edmonton

As for EV. They are getting a subsidized advantage from the government, where do they think the electricity that charge the ev comes the sun ? It’s from coal and gas burning generators. The power grid will not be able to handle the transition of even 10 %of vehicles to EV .
Old 07-30-2022, 02:58 PM

City folks can take the lrt According city of Edmonton

And by the sounds of it, take your life in your hands doing it. Calgary ain't better.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-30-2022, 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4544902]He isn't going skiing at -30, where the range is less than half of what it is
Lol. He works at the hill. So yes he is going at -30.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:26 PM

I would be curious to if the batteries last past 5 years and how much it will be to replace them. A guy in the states wrapped his tesla in dinimite and blew it up because the batteries were pooched and cost $22,000 to replace.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
There are EVs that aren’t Teslas. If one ICE can go 1000km on 40 litres of gas does that mean a gas pot f350 can too?
Thanks tips! You're definitely correct that not all ev's are Teslas lol. Dean didn't originally state the brand did he? I stated mine/my buddies experience tho. Whats your experience?
Old 07-30-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Lol. He works at the hill. So yes he is going at -30.
-30 reduces the range by more than 50%, so he isn't likely going to make 300km at -30, and the range at -40, will be even less. It makes me wonder how far your APPROX 300km really is.

https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-range/

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-30-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
-30 reduces the range by more than 50%, so he isn't likely going to make 300km at -30, and the range at -40, will be even less. It makes me wonder how far your APPROX 300km really is.

Please don't talk outta your azz. Its embarrassing for you. I ride with him 50% of the time. Its also not -30 everyday. The car works great. He's extremely happy with it. And I quite enjoy traveling in it. Im not an EV nut job. I'll probably never own one. But im also man enough to admit my experience with how good they work.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yah was gunna say the same. Have a buddy who has a Tesla and middle of winter can drive 90 miles to Bozeman, do all his errands and drive 90 miles back on one charge…
Old 07-30-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Oh and its exactly 153.7 kms one way. What does that work out to round trip? Thanks tho.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yah was gunna say the same. Have a buddy who has a Tesla and middle of winter can drive 90 miles to Bozeman, do all his errands and drive 90 miles back on one charge…
I agree completely. For some unknown reason guys love to hate on things that they have zero experience and knowledge with