Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 PM

Don’t get me wrong I have no desire for one and think they are impractical for most places outside of big cities. I do think that a large portion of the market is and needs to go that way but in due time. I also don’t understand why people say they’re bad for towing? An electric motor generates 100% torque on, it doesn’t need to hit an rpm range. Only thing I can think of is the range.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yah was gunna say the same. Have a buddy who has a Tesla and middle of winter can drive 90 miles to Bozeman, do all his errands and drive 90 miles back on one charge…
Again, it depends on the temperature, there is a huge difference in range between even 0 and -30. If I had to make a 180 mile trip in a Tesla in winter, I wouldn't be choosing a -30 day, to go to town to do those errands. And if it hit -40, I definitely wouldn't attempt the trip in a Tesla. And in -30 and colder, I wouldn't be pushing anywhere near what the vehicle is supposedly capable of, in case winter conditions cause a delay.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Don’t get me wrong I have no desire for one and think they are impractical for most places outside of big cities. I do think that a large portion of the market is and needs to go that way but in due time. I also don’t understand why people say they’re bad for towing? An electric motor generates 100% torque on, it doesn’t need to hit an rpm range. Only thing I can think of is the range.
The problem is the range, around 90 miles towing a trailer with an electric F150. And of course that is in summer, where the batteries provide maximum range. At -30, that extremely short range will be reduced by about half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e55Vued028
Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 PM

I was at a Ag conference a few weeks ago and there was a speaker talking about the use of EV’s. His comment was in regards to rural Canada we would be putting the cart ahead of the horse if we think we can use them in our day to day lives with out significantly handicapping ourselves, and in the process we forgot to invent the wheel. I am not up on the tech stuff but he mentioned we are 30 years out at least.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:24 PM

They can also pack there genny's just in case, my cousin took this picture in Drumheller this past in winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0763.jpg (55.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-30-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Dems like their imports
Old 07-31-2022, 08:42 AM

None of us like the winter a whole bunch. What would you choose in this situation.
You have to make a 725 km [one way] road trip to Grande Prairie from Calgary.
middle of January , -25 and snowing. Returning next day.

A - Your F series , GM or Ram 4x4 [with a good heater]
B- Your EV , lights and heater on.
Ford claims their F150 Lightning with optional larger battery can get 300 miles , 500km on a charge. How long to re-charge ? Anyone seen hi tech chargers in Fox Creek ?
Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 PM

The new 4680 battery from Tesla is solving most of the problems.
https://fcpp.org/2020/12/26/the-tesl...hings-to-know/
Old 07-31-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
The new 4680 battery from Tesla is solving most of the problems.
https://fcpp.org/2020/12/26/the-tesl...hings-to-know/
I noticed this statement.

Quote:
At 85 deg F ambient, calculated charging time from 10% to 80% with the 4680 pack was reduced from 25 minutes to 15 minutes. If you only need a 50% charge, you can be done in 7 minutes. That’s almost as fast as gas.
How many days of the year is it 85 degrees F in Alberta ? What is the charging time at -30?

A search led to this article https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/85...charging-rates

From that link

Quote:
Tesla’s currently listing the Model Y dual motor configuration to have a total of 279 miles of EPA-rated range.
That is even less than half of the 619 miles claimed in the first article.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-31-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:15 PM

this province does not have enough power for vehicles, or charging places, when they do then yes buy your ev vehicle, or plan your trip between charges, every 300 to 600 klm
Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

How many days of the year is it 85 degrees F in Alberta ? What is the charging time at -30?

A search led to this article https://www.notateslaapp.com/news/85...charging-rates

From that link

Yup. Not too many days are 29° in Alberta. But not a ton of -30 or colder days either.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:14 PM

Anyone on here bought or driven the new Lightning? I bet they'd be a blast.

Saw on one the road the other day but thats as close as I've got.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:23 PM

If we could snap our fingers, and convert all gasoline (only) powered vehicles on Alberta roads to modern EVs, average power demand just for the extra required charging would increase overall power demand by about 20%. If that charging power demand is not level throughout the day (and it won't be), call it another 10%.

So power generation capacity in Alberta would have to increase at least 20% and probably 30% just to charge the electric vehicles replacing gasoline powered vehicles. If we all choose to get fast chargers, the load calculation increases even further.

Not only does power generation have to increase, so does then entire power grid! Today, your neighbourhood block can only have some 15% of the homes on that block go to EVs before the power supply system to that block needs to be increased.

We will pay for all that through electric power cost increases and taxes. Nothing is free.

I am not trying to make a pro or anti EV statement, we just need to get real about what it will take to get there.

Vic
Old 07-31-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Yup. Not too many days are 29° in Alberta. But not a ton of -30 or colder days either.
But a vehicle needs to be able to perform in the worst conditions, and that includes those -30 days.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
If we could snap our fingers, and convert all gasoline (only) powered vehicles on Alberta roads to modern EVs, average power demand just for the extra required charging would increase overall power demand by about 20%. If that charging power demand is not level throughout the day (and it won't be), call it another 10%.

So power generation capacity in Alberta would have to increase at least 20% and probably 30% just to charge the electric vehicles replacing gasoline powered vehicles. If we all choose to get fast chargers, the load calculation increases even further.

Not only does power generation have to increase, so does then entire power grid! Today, your neighbourhood block can only have some 15% of the homes on that block go to EVs before the power supply system to that block needs to be increased.

We will pay for all that through electric power cost increases and taxes. Nothing is free.

I am not trying to make a pro or anti EV statement, we just need to get real about what it will take to get there.

Vic
One of the largest concerns would be replacing emergency vehicles with electric vehicles, ambulances, fire engines, police vehicles, tow trucks, snow plows etc. Down time to charge would be a real issue, as would the limited run time, for vehicles that need to run almost non stop in emergencies.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Anyone on here bought or driven the new Lightning? I bet they'd be a blast.

Saw on one the road the other day but thats as close as I've got.
Seen a couple, they look good and are very quiet! Haven’t been in one or driven it as you, but owners have no problem letting you take a look. They’re a hit of an enigma status simple thing.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:43 AM

I said it before, but needs repeating. EV's are Not repeat Not! feasible for such a large and cold country like Canada. Also 80% of our roads are not paved. We need tough pickup trucks with large gas and diesel engines.
Lastly more than 30% of our trade exports are Oil and Gas. How the hell do you think the fools in Ottawa are going to replace the lost revenue and jobs?
Old 08-01-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako1 View Post
Thanks tips! You're definitely correct that not all ev's are Teslas lol. Dean didn't originally state the brand did he? I stated mine/my buddies experience tho. Whats your experience?
You are welcome for the tip there chuckles. I knew you were confused and needed some assistance. Dean said his neighbours EV couldn’t make it to work and back. He didn’t say his neighbours Tesla couldn’t make it. Then you attempted to cast doubt on Deans statement stating your buddies Tesla does 300+km at -30. So then I had to explain to you that not every EV is a Tesla and ranges differ.

It’s good that you learned from this. Now you and your buddy can talk about how EVs vary on your way to the hill next time.

My experience was with an EV from the 80s. Fun for about an hour then it had to be back in the garage.

My other experience is diesel electric or hybrids are much more feasible and usable for our climate and it’s a real shame more companies weren’t going that route.

Either way, my experience with my buddies’ dad’s old EV didn’t have me casting doubt on Deans claim, because I don’t think that EV would have made it around the block in -10 let alone -30.

So next time you need more tips just ask, I’m glad to educate you there chuckles.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:17 PM

As far as I am concerned, all EVs should only be allowed to plug in into windmill/solar panel energy, not the "main" overloaded electrical grid.

See how that goes...
Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 PM

As far as I am concerned, all EVs should only be allowed to plug in into windmill/solar panel energy, not the "main" overloaded electrical grid.

See how that goes...
Old 08-02-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You are welcome for the tip there chuckles. I knew you were confused and needed some assistance. Dean said his neighbours EV couldn’t make it to work and back. He didn’t say his neighbours Tesla couldn’t make it. Then you attempted to cast doubt on Deans statement stating your buddies Tesla does 300+km at -30. So then I had to explain to you that not every EV is a Tesla and ranges differ.

It’s good that you learned from this. Now you and your buddy can talk about how EVs vary on your way to the hill next time.

My experience was with an EV from the 80s. Fun for about an hour then it had to be back in the garage.

My other experience is diesel electric or hybrids are much more feasible and usable for our climate and it’s a real shame more companies weren’t going that route.

Either way, my experience with my buddies’ dad’s old EV didn’t have me casting doubt on Deans claim, because I don’t think that EV would have made it around the block in -10 let alone -30.

So next time you need more tips just ask, I’m glad to educate you there chuckles.
Lol never once did I cast doubts Tips! I simply referenced my personal EV experience. Isnt a Teslas an EV? Lol
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12 PM
Banned

They might be better than bitcoin !! I have a buddy that finally got his 2021 F150 EV. He's driven for 3 weeks and can get $30,000 more than he bought it for !!
Old 08-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Veterinarian buddy of mine has a Tesla. He drove it from Okotoks to Edmonton & back last week. Charged in Edmonton. They came home with the windows down, AC use would have made a stop/charge part way. He likes the car for a 10 minute commute still.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-02-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:

From that link

I don’t think the average person understands how complicated your treatment of an expensive car battery pack is. From under charging to over charging to lack of use to over use to various temperatures both charging or driving on these factors has on battery longevity. Since new batteries cost tens of thousands… there is a reason why only the rich or well to do drive Tesla’s.

https://getoptiwatt.com/blog/the-com...d-battery-life

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...w_temperatures
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-03-2022, 05:47 AM

Before you run out and buy a EV pickup to tow your favorite travel trailer you may want to read this, looks like if the camping spot is more than 100 miles away your in serious trouble. It would take me about 4 days to get up to our hunting camp.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/f...k-towing-test/

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cart before the horse, no infrastructure to support the electric vehicles as fast as they are pumping them out then toss in the people that jump in full bore

Not saying this isn’t the future but not mine unless they sell me one with a bike in the box to get home

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-03-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I don’t think the average person understands how complicated your treatment of an expensive car battery pack is. From under charging to over charging to lack of use to over use to various temperatures both charging or driving on these factors has on battery longevity. Since new batteries cost tens of thousands… there is a reason why only the rich or well to do drive Tesla’s.

https://getoptiwatt.com/blog/the-com...d-battery-life

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...w_temperatures
My 30 yr old daughter has a Tesla and a couple other vehicles and is not rich. A couple people i know in the Pass have EV's and i dont think they are rich either.
More and more being bought every day and thats not going to change. Many i see stating on here why they wont work but they are. Most of those are pessimists and feel smart by pointing out problems with anything.....
Old 08-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Again, it depends on the temperature, there is a huge difference in range between even 0 and -30. If I had to make a 180 mile trip in a Tesla in winter, I wouldn't be choosing a -30 day, to go to town to do those errands. And if it hit -40, I definitely wouldn't attempt the trip in a Tesla. And in -30 and colder, I wouldn't be pushing anywhere near what the vehicle is supposedly capable of, in case winter conditions cause a delay.
You are talking a a handful of days it hits -30 per year

And, what's the chances on the one maybe two days it actually hits -40 is the same day you have to go somewhere?

I realize it's fun to hate on the EV's (not directed to you specifically) but cold weather performance isn't nearly as big as an issue as many would believe for 99% of the EV city commuters. Most are probably doing less than 100km a day I bet.

And .... let's be 100% realistic .... I bet most of society would get along just fine with one EV and one conventional car with ZERO issue.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You are talking a a handful of days it hits -30 per year

And, what's the chances on the one maybe two days it actually hits -40 is the same day you have to go somewhere?

I realize it's fun to hate on the EV's (not directed to you specifically) but cold weather performance isn't nearly as big as an issue as many would believe for 99% of the EV city commuters. Most are probably doing less than 100km a day I bet.

And .... let's be 100% realistic .... I bet most of society would get along just fine with one EV and one conventional car with ZERO issue.
Let's take last Christmas for example, I left Camrose in -38 to travel to Saskatoon to spend Christmas with my mother. Three days later, I left in -40 to return home. The trip took me 5 hours each way to cover 500km and even in those temperatures, my vehicle only used 5/8 of a tank for the 500km. To make that same trip in an EV, would have required at least one stop to charge each way, and since my mother doesn't have charging facilities, I would have had to leave the vehicle at a charging station when I arrived, so I would have a charge to start the return trip. So a 5 hour trip would become hours longer, plus the hassle of having to charge the vehicle at a charging station in Saskatoon, so either sit there with it at -38, or leaving it plugged in, and find transportation back to my mother's place, then back to the charging station, to pick up the vehicle. I actually make that same trip pretty much every month, so only having one vehicle, it won't be electric, as long as I have the choice.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:16 AM

I think the question should be if you see an ev on the side of the road will you stop?
I guess I’d stop and ask them if they ran out of gas.