Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Puerto Vallarta fishing

Going to a PV for a week in December, would like to do a small fishing excursion.

Can anyone recommend a particular outfit and what should I expect to pay?

I’ve done the touristy little “deep sea fishing adventures” in PEI and Nova Scotia for Cod and Mackerel. Caught lots of fish, had some fun, only took a few hours and was quite economical.

Are there similar things in Mexico?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:43 PM

Just go down there and negotiate. Be about 150 to 200 US for a decent boat get 6 people together best way to do it. I wouldnt book lots down there to take you out
Old 07-30-2022, 06:01 PM

Default cheap

Boy thats cheap. Never fished that area only San Jose Del Cabo across the channel. We paid $650 for a 28 ft boat with 3 sailors, 5 hrs fishing. BEL
Old 07-30-2022, 06:09 PM

If you can travel north for about 45 min (super easy and cheap on local buses) get to Punta de Mita, I can personally recommend Erasmo Valencia. My wife and I have fly fished with Erasmo for many years (he also does spin casting, etc.). Great guy offers a great service!

https://www.erasmotours.com

-Confucius
Old 07-30-2022, 07:02 PM

Going o Punta Mita in December.Will be booking a boat.How is the beach fishing there?
Old 07-30-2022, 07:43 PM

Depends where you are staying? "in the gate" or "out of the gate"? I've fished off the breakwater with some success (fly fishing)

DM me for specifics for out of the gate (can't speak for anything "in the gate" and Erasmo or anything else in and around the area!

Cheers

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Going o Punta Mita in December.Will be booking a boat.How is the beach fishing there?

-Confucius
Old 07-31-2022, 01:16 PM

The going rate seems to have been $400 US for a half day on a panga boat. Last time I went out was this past January in Huatulco, and that’s what we paid. CoVid inflation might have changed things though.

We have fished with Captain Pablo’s out of Sayulita 3 times now and always had a great time. We were doing the half day for $400 US and easily catching 40-50 fish between myself and the wife. They have some great spots that only they seem to fish. Sayulita is a nice little “hip” town and an easy day trip from PV.

We like to focus on filling the cooler with good eating fish like mackerel and snapper first and then troll for Mahi Mahi with whatever time we have left. If you just want to catch something for dinner, you can catch dozens, if you focus on big game fish you are taking your chances. December isn’t a great time for sport fishing but it’s when we vacation in Mexico so we deal with it.

We generally get a condo in Mexico so we go fishing early in the trip and freeze the fish so we can eat it over the course of our trip. We always give the housekeepers or landscapers a couple fish to take home for dinner as well, they always seem really appreciative.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:27 PM

Not sure when the last time you were in Sayulita, but BOY has it changed (and not for the better). It's gotten SUPER busy and developed over the last couple of years! The unfortunate thing is, is they still release raw sewage into the bay

We once went with Captain Pablo's (and once was enough - but my wife and I were fly fishing, so it might have been a very different experience)... Worse than them was Jose (I think it's "Sayulita Jose", again this was fly fishing... and it was at least 10 years ago, he was brutal, like really bad - guarantees you will catch fish and so he would cast out a spinning line hook a fish and then give it to you to reel in and there was your "guaranteed" fish!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
The going rate seems to have been $400 US for a half day on a panga boat. Last time I went out was this past January in Huatulco, and that’s what we paid. CoVid inflation might have changed things though.

We have fished with Captain Pablo’s out of Sayulita 3 times now and always had a great time. We were doing the half day for $400 US and easily catching 40-50 fish between myself and the wife. They have some great spots that only they seem to fish. Sayulita is a nice little “hip” town and an easy day trip from PV.

We like to focus on filling the cooler with good eating fish like mackerel and snapper first and then troll for Mahi Mahi with whatever time we have left. If you just want to catch something for dinner, you can catch dozens, if you focus on big game fish you are taking your chances. December isn’t a great time for sport fishing but it’s when we vacation in Mexico so we deal with it.

We generally get a condo in Mexico so we go fishing early in the trip and freeze the fish so we can eat it over the course of our trip. We always give the housekeepers or landscapers a couple fish to take home for dinner as well, they always seem really appreciative.

-Confucius
Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 AM

I think the wife booked us there in December also. Finally getting to use our free trip that we got in 2019 lol
Old 08-01-2022, 02:30 PM

It’s been 4 years since we’ve been to Sayulita and I’ve heard much the same as what you’ve said. Changed for the worse, prices have gone up on everything, not worth staying there anymore. Still a nice day trip from PV but no longer a destination to spend a couple weeks at. The raw sewage in the bay always grossed us out, every year it was “ just about fixed” lol. Captain Pablo’s has been good to us, we always got the same captain Hector and he is fantastic. He’s got a little Mahi Mahi honey hole where he sunk a bunch of old palapas off the beach to the bottom of the ocean and made a little sardine sanctuary. The Mahi come by and feast on the sardines regularly and we’ve gotten hooked up there a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not sure when the last time you were in Sayulita, but BOY has it changed (and not for the better). It's gotten SUPER busy and developed over the last couple of years! The unfortunate thing is, is they still release raw sewage into the bay

We once went with Captain Pablo's (and once was enough - but my wife and I were fly fishing, so it might have been a very different experience)... Worse than them was Jose (I think it's "Sayulita Jose", again this was fly fishing... and it was at least 10 years ago, he was brutal, like really bad - guarantees you will catch fish and so he would cast out a spinning line hook a fish and then give it to you to reel in and there was your "guaranteed" fish!!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:31 AM

I have marlin fished on a boat called La Cindy in PV, great crew and big comfortable boat. The owner is from Lloydminster (Marty at Raider well servicing). He charters it out when he is not using it.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM

Last time I was there me and the wife booked with a guy and actually went to a lake about an hour west of PV for large mouth. Pretty neat experience, for the life of me I can't remember the outfit name? I'll look through some old emails and see what I can find.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:38 PM

Default Huatulco

We fish in Huatulco every year and the rate is usually closer to $350 for 6 hours or so in a nicely outfitted panga with good equipment. You can go higher or lower if you wish depending on the time and type of boat but we always fish with the same guy and usually do well.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman View Post
We fish in Huatulco every year and the rate is usually closer to $350 for 6 hours or so in a nicely outfitted panga with good equipment. You can go higher or lower if you wish depending on the time and type of boat but we always fish with the same guy and usually do well.
Pardon my ignorance, do you mean $350 per person?

Largemouth fishing is cool but I’ve done lots of that before. Marlin or something like that would be amazing but I’m happy with a change of pace, get on the water and catch a new species hopefully.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Pardon my ignorance, do you mean $350 per person?

Largemouth fishing is cool but I’ve done lots of that before. Marlin or something like that would be amazing but I’m happy with a change of pace, get on the water and catch a new species hopefully.
Some lakes in Mexico were stocked with Florida strain large mouth bass. They can grow to 10 lbs.

Inland lakes can be dangerous depending upon the current inter cartel conflicts.

Research it well.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-07-2022, 08:56 AM

Like I said, I’ve done lots of largemouth fishing before, I’m more interested in an ocean experience.

Just trying to figure out what a fair cost per person would be for one of those adventures.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:19 AM

Normally it's for the boat, not a per person charge..

P

Quote:
Like I said, I’ve done lots of largemouth fishing before, I’m more interested in an ocean experience.

Just trying to figure out what a fair cost per person would be for one of those adventures.

-Confucius
Old 08-07-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Normally it's for the boat, not a per person charge..

P
Thanks Uberfly, there is going to be a large group of us. Not sure how many will want to fish. I did t wa t to offer to take 10 of us out for the morning if it was going to be $650 USD each. Lol

$650 for a morning excursion for a small group I can talk about.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 PM

I actually go to PV 1 to 2 times a year. I stay with local fisherman...I can actually help with what u need.....I know a guy who can take a small crew to a pretty decent sized boat....price range from 100 usd to 500 usd....I know them and trust them...

Pm me if u need more info...

Happy
Old 08-14-2022, 02:41 PM

Default Huatulco

$350 (USD) for the boat, not per person. We use the same guy every time and sometimes go twice if we are there for two weeks. A tip is usually given as well.

You can go cheaper, but we are sometimes fishing really far out with very few other boats around so you want to be careful. A walk around the marina will result in lots of guys offering to take you fishing for a "special price just for you".
Old 02-18-2024, 07:57 PM

Long story but my trip last year got cancelled, we are going next week now to the same place.

Riu Jalisco near Puerto Vallarta.

Want to get that fishing experience in.

Any insight is appreciated!
Old 02-27-2024, 02:16 PM

Headed that way shortly as well, but reading conflicting information about requirements for a license if just fishing from shore. Some say sites say you need one, while others say you don't need one.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2024, 04:03 PM

This info was from 3 sites:

It depends. If you are fishing from a boat, or spearfishing, you need a Mexican fishing license. You do not need a license when fishing from a riverbank or beach. If your feet are on land (even if you’re wading), you do not need a license.

Every person on the boat, regardless of age, needs a license. Furthermore, even if you’re not planning on fishing but there is fishing gear onboard, everyone needs a license.

We went with a fairly sketchy charter a westjet guy upsold us on. Caught fish but it was a gong show. Poor experience.

There is the Viking fishing charters out of PV that seem pretty reputable. They have an instagram (if you have that) you can follow them and see what their catching.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Long story but my trip last year got cancelled, we are going next week now to the same place.

Riu Jalisco near Puerto Vallarta.

Want to get that fishing experience in.

Any insight is appreciated!
stayed at that exact resort 4 years ago and was happy with it. We went for a half day on a panga from Viking Charters and was happy. Also I would strongly recomend High Tides Fishing Charters down there, they are fantastic.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the info! Similar to what I was able to dig up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
This info was from 3 sites:

It depends. If you are fishing from a boat, or spearfishing, you need a Mexican fishing license. You do not need a license when fishing from a riverbank or beach. If your feet are on land (even if you’re wading), you do not need a license.

Every person on the boat, regardless of age, needs a license. Furthermore, even if you’re not planning on fishing but there is fishing gear onboard, everyone needs a license.

We went with a fairly sketchy charter a westjet guy upsold us on. Caught fish but it was a gong show. Poor experience.

There is the Viking fishing charters out of PV that seem pretty reputable. They have an instagram (if you have that) you can follow them and see what their catching.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:23 AM

We went out for 1/2 a day on wednesday with Ramone and Miguel from Gilligan's fishing adventiures or something like that.

Paid $381 for 1/2 a day, only went with the two of us and was glad that we did. Had lots of fun, caught a decent amount of fish, Skip Jack Tuna and what I believe are long fin tuna.

Their boat and tackle was older and basic but it just seemed more authentic that way. haha

There were older twin 60 Yamaha's on the boat, one of which Miguel had to pull over by hand every time it idled and stalled. lol

Saw lots of Humpback whales, some Mantarays and a sea turtle.

Would definitely do it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fish.jpg (27.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:35 PM

I could be mistaken, but that looks like a Jack Crevalle. Nice catch!
Old 03-05-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I could be mistaken, but that looks like a Jack Crevalle. Nice catch!
X2 That is what it is . Was just there a few weeks ago
didnt see this thread before i left or would have chimed in on who to go with.

A Lot of locals call them Yellowtails. But not tuna.