Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Default I know it's only August, but...

That's when I start to plan for the upcoming hardwater season.

Some might remember last season I predicted Otter was going to come out with my dream hub shelter this season...the Otter Vortex Pro Resort (last season they only offered the Lodge as a Vortex Pro with a walkout door). After checking out their site today, I see they have released all four of their hubs as Vortex Pros with the walkout door. In fact, you can't get the old style Vortexes (Vortices?) any more.

Like a few others on here, I enjoy ice camping in my shelters during the winter. I figured the walkout door on the Vortex Pro would be the icing on an already near-perfect Vortex Resort. But looking at the dimensions on the new hub, I'm not so sure. Instead of just spreading the existing walls a bit and popping a door in, the new panels (walls) are smaller.

Unlike the old Vortex Resort that is 75" corner to corner, the new Vortex Pro is 69.5"...almost 6" less. I already had to stand my Disc-O-Bed cots a foot off the wall to fit them (which worked fine for storage). Now with 5'9" corner to corner dimensions and tighter angles to fit the door in, the bunks would have to be in the middle of the hub. I think they ruined the Resort hub for camping! Gah!!!

I guess it's back to double hubs for camping. At least the Vortex Pro Monster Lodge looks promising.

That is all for now. We now return you to your regularly scheduled open water fishing.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:45 PM

Yep, I’m mentally ready for winter. Physically I just need to finish firewood and chimney install and I’m ready!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:28 PM

Hardwater?? My open water season is just about to get started!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I have a problem, err I mean many problems, still fishing, getting game cams ready, shoot bow cuz got my draw for moose, ride motorbikes, cut grass, go fishing, plan for fishing, bird season around the corner, more fishing and now you got the nerve to toss in ice fishing!
Nice, just another problem!!!!

I am retired and need to schedule,plan,evaluate, execute etc
Might as well still be working ohhh wait,nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-07-2022, 10:26 PM

Have you taken a look a the Eskimo 650XD?

I installed a wood stove in mine and it sleeps 2 very comfortably.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM

Yeah the 650XD is a nice hub. All of Eskimo's hubs are nice products. I feel like its just a bit small though. Maybe I'll bring a tape measure to Cabela's this Fall and hope they have one set up again, to look a bit more closely.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Yeah the 650XD is a nice hub. All of Eskimo's hubs are nice products. I feel like its just a bit small though. Maybe I'll bring a tape measure to Cabela's this Fall and hope they have one set up again, to look a bit more closely.
If I get some spare time and I remember lol....I can set my 650xd up and take footprint measurements. I see that info isn't on Eskimos site.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:13 PM

Was thinking of early shopping as well to beat the rush. Thanks for sharing the info, disappointing about the new Otter Resort shelter. This is going to be my first year overnighting on the ice and wanted the Otter Resort as a two person sleeping shelter as I have the Otter Cabin for single day use and like the quality of the Otter shelter.

Looks like I may need to look at the 650xd now.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If I get some spare time and I remember lol....I can set my 650xd up and take footprint measurements. I see that info isn't on Eskimos site.
Their whole site is down at the moment, with just a splash page announcing new products on August 25th. I was surfing the site when they closed it...

I wouldn't mind knowing the dimensions on the 650XD if you think of it. TBH, I'm planning on insulating the new sled trailer and putting one of those Amazon diesel heaters in it and using that. So I may not use my hubs as much this season. I still want to have at least one though.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_bum View Post
Was thinking of early shopping as well to beat the rush. Thanks for sharing the info, disappointing about the new Otter Resort shelter. This is going to be my first year overnighting on the ice and wanted the Otter Resort as a two person sleeping shelter as I have the Otter Cabin for single day use and like the quality of the Otter shelter.

Looks like I may need to look at the 650xd now.
If it's like last season, you'll want to have your shopping done by October at the latest or risk not being able to get what you want.

I may just keep my Vortex Resort I picked up last year. It may become a collector's item out on the ice. Lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 PM

i tried all last year to get the otter pro lodge with no luck!I looked at the Eskimo 650 xd and it was lacking some features of the otter and more expensive.I myself cant wait for ice fishing.Open water is fantastic but with boat prices the way they are makes it hard to afford one.There is never a line up at the boat launch in winter.LOL
Old 08-10-2022, 08:04 AM

Otter stuff is hard to get in western Canada, unless you happen to want something Cabela's carries. Things got a lot better last year though when CMX Outdoors in Swift Current started carrying the Otter product line. They may sell out of shelters fairly early again this season though.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:26 PM

Way outta bounds even mentioning hard water this time of year LOL
The only thing that should be mentioned about hard water now should be where's the ice for my drink. Just kidding. At least your getting prepared. I have no more friends that ice fish anymore, so neither do I. My boat don't do so good on the hard stuff. Let me fish till November. Then you can till end of April.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:09 PM

Time for the hardwater threads to begin...

I've decided to go with what I call a double hub again this winter. The hex hub Otter Resort worked well last year, but Otter pooched it as mentioned above when they added the full door.

It's almost impossible to evaluate hubs in Western Canada. Maybe one shop has the hub you're interested in set up....if you're lucky. Different hubs together...from different manufacturers (gasp!)? I've never seen it. So what to do?

I had the new Otter Vortex Pro Monster Lodge on order already, but came across one at Cabela's today. I made a call to TFH and they had an Eskimo 850XD from last year they had just received back into stock, so I had them put my name on it. Then after returning from the day trip to Edmonton, I dug out my Eskimo 9416i. I'm going to set all of them up tomorrow and compare them before choosing which one I want to keep. No more word of mouth. No more endlessly watching videos on YouTube trying to figure out which one is best. I'm also going to put to bed whether Otter has better build quality than Eskimo. I think Eskimo has caught up but we'll see.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:33 AM

So which one do you prefer?

Ohhh did you get your skidoos yet?

Hopefully mine will arrive soon

Old 10-01-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So which one do you prefer?

Ohhh did you get your skidoos yet?

Hopefully mine will arrive soon

new skidoo should be here in November they said ,
retired aswell, with no time to work,
Old 10-01-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
new skidoo should be here in November they said ,
retired aswell, with no time to work,
I am not digging my truck out this season....I want to ice fish, not work out
Ski-Doo SkandicŪ SWT 900 ACE should do the trick
Dean you got the ice tents figured out yet?

Old 10-01-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I am not digging my truck out this season....I want to ice fish, not work out
Ski-Doo SkandicŪ SWT 900 ACE should do the trick

Dean you got the ice tents figured out yet?
I have a feeling my sleds may not show up until January. Then again, at the rate we're going, I might not need them until then.

Looks like the Otter is going to win out. I don't think it's any secret I'm an Otter fanboi, but I really was cheering for the Eskimo to prevail. I'll make a post here to help others out. My face is too ugly for YouTube. lol.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:32 PM

I bought some Frostbite lures this morning and watched in early ice fishing video. Thoughts are changing....

That said, chasing trout tomorrow