Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 03:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Default tirebob rant about member threats

Hi all,

So first let me say that I am not the type of person to cry "Oh woah is me!" but I have just had an experience as a moderator that leaves me incredibly disappointed in some people...

Earlier today, an unnamed "new" (or return) member with absolutely no history or even a single post, came into the general section and created a brand new thread that was a full on attack on a local Airdrie business. The business is not a sponsor here or anything like that, but I felt that it is not something appropriate as the member literally had never made a single post prior and starts out with a potentially slanderous attack on a local business and we have no way of confirming the validity. This is the type of post that can lead down a road to libel and is not something that should be condoned or it likely becomes a free-for-all for people who just want to hurt a business unreasonably. If the member had been someone we have a bit of a relationship with as a forum or a track record it would be one thing, but they do not at all.

As such, I chose to delete it and send a polite PM to said member explaining why I chose to remove the thread. I explained that as a new member and as a lead off introduction thread/post we can't in good conscience let it stay live. I continued to say that we have to be careful as these types of threads can be construed as slanderous and whether true or not the member would need to put in a bit of time becoming a member of the community as it is far too easy for businesses to become the victims of an unwarranted grudge with no way to verify if random people can just sign up to do hurt and disappear. I apologized and encourage him to continue participating in the forums and we would value his membership.

Low and behold, he replied three times consecutively telling me to "go blank myself."

Then the next one he was never going to buy from sponsors who continue to support the AO forums and "will let them all know".

The last and final reply (I had not replied to any of the previous ones) he straight up said he is in the automotive business same as me and will never send any of his clients my way and that he will go onto google and "leave a fitting review about your business and you will not be able to remove that one!"

Seriously... What the hell? This guy is willing to try and do his bit to ruin not only a business that is not mine, and when my reasoning was that it is too easy to slander a reputable business, his answer is to say he is going to do exactly that to my business?

How does this kind of crap even seem remotely reasonable? I mean I may not be everyones cup of tea, but I think it is pretty obvious I am a reasonable, approachable individual and moderator, yet this guy can't be a man and talk to me if he disagrees and try and explain, or just say he understands or even just say he disagrees. He jumps from zero to threatening my business reputation, which also threatens my employees reputations, and the families they support.

What is wrong with people? Man this being a Mod is not all champagne and benjamins! Normally I just let this stuff slide (not the first time I have had to deal with other donkey's who think we just do this stuff for fun and that we are everyones whipping boy), but this one got under my skin. I just thought this might be a good example of how NOT to work out your grievances with a Mod and expect to stay on good terms...

Rant over... And sorry for the spiel!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 08-06-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:40 PM

Man Tirebob if you just weren’t such an arsehole then this wouldn’t happen to you….

Bahahaha from what I’ve seen and your reputation your far from! My 38 years of life have let me know a lot of people are all talk no show. With social media it’s so easy to say things behind a screen that you would never say face to face as there’s no repercussions. Actually had a similar experience with someone at work a couple weeks back. Totally unreasonable just went from 0 to raging douche in 2 milliseconds! End of the day all my coworkers and I laughed at the guy and honestly felt kind of sorry for him. Your reputation and reviews on your business will survive any spam attack this guy may levy. Take the high road my friend and know the people that matter know the truth, Everyone else don’t matter! Keep up the good work!

Oh should add I’d be surprised if the guy went to the lengths required of slandering your business. Too much effort for these blow hard types that just want to yell and scream thinking whoever their target is will turtle and give them what they want. Typical school yard bully!
Old 08-06-2022, 03:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Man Tirebob if you just weren’t such an arsehole then this wouldn’t happen to you….

.... Your reputation and reviews on your business will survive any spam attack this guy may levy. Take the high road my friend and know the people that matter know the truth, Everyone else don’t matter! Keep up the good work!
Thanks man, and I do agree, but one aspect of my self promotion is the fact that after 15 years in business and hundreds of genuine online google reviews (I never solicit reviews from clients), I still hold a perfect 5.0 review status, and one bum review from a jackwad can drop that. I get tons of people because of that 5.0 and it simply irks me to no end that people who want to be jerks for no reason other than to be a jerk can affect your livelihood.

Ugh
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-06-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Thanks man, and I do agree, but one aspect of my self promotion is the fact that after 15 years in business and hundreds of genuine online google reviews (I never solicit reviews from clients), I still hold a perfect 5.0 review status, and one bum review from a jackwad can drop that. I get tons of people because of that 5.0 and it simply irks me to no end that people who want to be jerks for no reason other than to be a jerk can affect your livelihood.

Ugh
I can understand that. Just remember we can’t control others and try not to beat yourself up over things you can’t control!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:08 PM

The fact that he went after you & your business without knowing either, makes me question the validity of the business criticism he was trying to make.

Happy 3 time Urban Expressions customer.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:13 PM

Some people are just useless.
There is no answer.
They live on hate and thrive on being bridge dwelling trolls.
You do a great job, people that have followed your posts enjoy your information and enthusiasm, they know you are a good guy.
Short version tell them to pizz up a rope.
They will affect your business as much as a fly on your windshield.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-06-2022, 04:14 PM

I have made far more mistakes in posting and in life than one would like to admit
a wise man once said

ALL U HAVE IS YOUR REPUTATION he was quite smart

tirebob I must say you are one of the most well spoken and respectful guys I have known in line
not saying that to suck up for my goof ups later it is the truth

mods have a tough task at the best of times, and a rough job at its worst

one gets quite hurt a when one prides himself or herself on honesty, and trying to treat people respectfully

guy is way off base and a loonie, maybe we will read about him in the papers soon for his unbecoming actions

truthfully you are very well spoken on tires and mod activity

I WISH I HAD YOUR ABILITY IN THOSE REGUARDS,
sadly I do not
take care and enjoy the weekend

Jeff
Old 08-06-2022, 04:32 PM

Old 08-06-2022, 04:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Brush it off, your not that bad of a fella.

These people need help and should seek help as their mental health is questionable.

Periodically they will pop up but that’s the low percent of people on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-06-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

So first let me say that I am not the type of person to cry "Oh woah is me!" but I have just had an experience as a moderator that leaves me incredibly disappointed in some people...

Earlier today, an unnamed "new" (or return) member with absolutely no history or even a single post, came into the general section and created a brand new thread that was a full on attack on a local Airdrie business. The business is not a sponsor here or anything like that, but I felt that it is not something appropriate as the member literally had never made a single post prior and starts out with a potentially slanderous attack on a local business and we have no way of confirming the validity. This is the type of post that can lead down a road to libel and is not something that should be condoned or it likely becomes a free-for-all for people who just want to hurt a business unreasonably. If the member had been someone we have a bit of a relationship with as a forum or a track record it would be one thing, but they do not at all.

As such, I chose to delete it and send a polite PM to said member explaining why I chose to remove the thread. I explained that as a new member and as a lead off introduction thread/post we can't in good conscience let it stay live. I continued to say that we have to be careful as these types of threads can be construed as slanderous and whether true or not the member would need to put in a bit of time becoming a member of the community as it is far too easy for businesses to become the victims of an unwarranted grudge with no way to verify if random people can just sign up to do hurt and disappear. I apologized and encourage him to continue participating in the forums and we would value his membership.

Low and behold, he replied three times consecutively telling me to "go blank myself."

Then the next one he was never going to buy from sponsors who continue to support the AO forums and "will let them all know".

The last and final reply (I had not replied to any of the previous ones) he straight up said he is in the automotive business same as me and will never send any of his clients my way and that he will go onto google and "leave a fitting review about your business and you will not be able to remove that one!"

Seriously... What the hell? This guy is willing to try and do his bit to ruin not only a business that is not mine, and when my reasoning was that it is too easy to slander a reputable business, his answer is to say he is going to do exactly that to my business?

How does this kind of crap even seem remotely reasonable? I mean I may not be everyones cup of tea, but I think it is pretty obvious I am a reasonable, approachable individual and moderator, yet this guy can't be a man and talk to me if he disagrees and try and explain, or just say he understands or even just say he disagrees. He jumps from zero to threatening my business reputation, which also threatens my employees reputations, and the families they support.

What is wrong with people? Man this being a Mod is not all champagne and benjamins! Normally I just let this stuff slide (not the first time I have had to deal with other donkey's who think we just do this stuff for fun and that we are everyones whipping boy), but this one got under my skin. I just thought this might be a good example of how NOT to work out your grievances with a Mod and expect to stay on good terms...

Rant over... And sorry for the spiel!

You worked hard for your reputation so its understandable to have a jerk like your describing bother you-easy for us to say don't let it, but honestly don't let it.

Keep on keepin on tirebob.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-06-2022, 05:08 PM

Dont sweat it bud.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:09 PM

Good work Bob
Your reputation is solid. I appreciate your efforts and the efforts of all the mods present and past.

I’m be got a few bad reviews as well. You can’t please everyone.

BW
Old 08-06-2022, 05:12 PM

First off let me say thank you TireBob for removing that post. I read it this morning and thought the same - why is this slanderous post even being allowed on here. One sided name calling and just a very poor rant. I’d like to hear from the company on their side of the story as I’m sure this person was no peach to deal with (probably unable to please no matter what was done).

Secondly, it’s apparent that the individual that made the post is incapable of being a human being and is angry at the world and lashes out at anyone he perceives as not coddling to his pathetic attitude.

It’s sad to say but this seems to be the mentality of some people today - that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Quick to threaten your livelihood because you won’t take his side.

Thank you Tire Bob for your hard work as a Moderator on AOF, it is highly appreciated by those who’ve been on this forum for more than 1 slanderous post.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:15 PM

Thanks for all you do, Bob.

Guys, this is par for the course of what moderators put up with.

They deserve our respect if for nothing other than putting up with this crap so we can have an orderly forum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2022, 05:16 PM

Great work Bob

Place has its share of spineless, inadequate, unattractive thumb suckers who arent sure whether to sit or stand....

We can do without them. Just nuke them and continue on.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:24 PM

Frankly, threatening a moderator IMHO is (or should be) grounds for immediate banishment. I am a happy customer of your shop and am glad that you are a moderator here.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:27 PM

As frustrating as it is, you’ve volunteered to keep this community free of slander. Keep up the good work
Old 08-06-2022, 05:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words everyone, but in all honesty this really isn’t about me as much as my experience as an example… This is about the kind of people that will threaten a persons ability to earn a living and how that is a response and action that should almost never be invoked!

We all disagree with each other at points in time, and there certainly are people who I really do not appreciate their way of things, but I would never consider doing something like this to any of them. You would really need to take things to a criminal level for me to even consider it, and at that point playing internet games would not be the way to handle it.

I do sincerely appreciate everyone here who gets it, and hopefully those that didn’t get it before may think about it a little more before going off the rails for such petty reasons.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 08-06-2022, 06:06 PM

From everything I've seen on here, you are a great guy and great mod! I highly doubt anything will come from this. However,I'd be keeping every message / post from him. If he did try anything with you, I'd think you'd have cause to go after him for slander.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:27 PM

Well you certainly handled that uncalled for situation very well and kept professional. You are an excellent mod on this forum.
The only customers at your business that you need to worry about are your REAL customers, and it sounds like you already have that pinned down to an art form!
If I lived a bit closer that way I would have been a customer there already.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:39 PM

Sounds like a real troll. I doubt he was even in an automotive business but was trying to grant himself some kind of 'authority' by pretending to be similar to you. I'd wager a few questions that only an expert would know would have exposed his fraud.

Some folks just need to get out more, getting cooped up and focused too much on every last woe in the world is unhealthy. The really obsessive ones will spend inordinate amounts of time being jerks to anyone who won't yield to their 'authoritai' (please read in Eric Cartman's voice)

I've noticed one Airdrie business that doesn't shy away from controversy on social media since pandemic, would it have been that one Trolly McTrollerson was referencing?
Old 08-06-2022, 07:44 PM
AO Sponsor

It was not that one no… lol! I can see how you might have gotten there though!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 08-06-2022, 07:55 PM

You did the right thing we all know that. Most people are pretty tough until you have a whites of the eyes discussion with them... do not even waste another moment trying to figure this deadbeat and wondering what made him this way...he has always been this way...once his Mother finds out about his nonsense he may get kicked outa the basement!!
Old 08-06-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Seeing that he's threatening to slander your business for something completely unrelated, I think deleting that post was an excellent decision and a good example why some such posts are removed.

Well done.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:21 PM

Default A trip out back

I love how you tactfully dealt with it Bob. You’re a genuinely nice guy. Anyone that has a few brain cells above an amoeba can see that. As a Mod you are fair and honest, no doubt you run your business the same. We got your back buddy.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:53 PM

The last 2 years have turned some people into complete Butt holes, unreal how they act and speak absolutely zero respect for anyone, you handled it great Bob much better than I would have

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:54 PM

You do an excellent job in a pleasant way Bob. Ban him for life. His post didn't sound that bright but threatening a member is good enough grounds. Punt.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:14 PM

It must be very difficult to go through life angry at the world and everybody who might see things differently. I feel bad for the guy, going through life full of righteous indignation is just really hard and that anger thing would mean he probably has a very small circle of friends, if any. It must really suck to be that guy and be just looking around for things to be mad about.
Its so not about you Bob..
Old 08-06-2022, 10:20 PM

This is the same guy that has his bad boy music cranked up in his car, but then turns it down when someone pulls up next to him lol.

You can't let the clowns get to you.

Yours, and your business's reputation speak for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2022, 10:39 PM

Sadly, this is the chicken **** world we live in now.

Say something I don't like? I'm not going to confront you on it, you could hurt me.
I'm going to find out where you work and tell lies about you to make sure you lose your job.
And then maybe I'll find out where your wife works and make sure she loses her's.
This is how these stupid kids think nowadays. All from the safety of their anonymity.

Just like the people on the road who wait for a turn off or an exit before they give you the finger.
Lots of courage when they think they're out of harm's way.

You handled yourself very well. And as far as the Google review goes, you can get them reversed. It takes time, but it's possible.
If they won't for one reason or another, you can leave a rebuttal to which they cannot comment on again.

Judging by what I read here, I would guess most of your business is likely word of mouth? You should randomly ask your well-known customers how many actually check your Google rating. I'll bet not very many.
I wouldn't let the threat of a stupid Google review cause you to lose any sleep.

Thanks for keeping this place clean. You're doing great job.
In fact, where can I leave a rating for your moderating? Lol