Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 09:52 PM

Default Jasper- Overlander trail bear shot

Not sure how to post link from Jasper local news. Apparently bear shot Saturday with a 20 ga inside the park. What was he thinking, holy!

Last edited by roper1; 07-09-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:33 PM

That's ridiculous.
A 12 gauge would have been more economical.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:36 PM

It does not even sound like the bear was being aggressive. And who uses a 20 gauge as a bear gun. I know exactly where this went down and those bears are so used to humans, it was probably just doing its thing and the hiker freaked out. Also, packing heat in the park is just asking for trouble.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...sper-1.6545399
Old 08-08-2022, 11:27 PM

When you think of how seriously they take cases firearms hiking through the park that’s definitely an interesting choice
Old 08-09-2022, 12:06 AM

Bring on the charges.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Too many holes in that story to make any type of a comment....CBC story time

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 AM

20 gauge huh, I can’t imagine they intentionally carried it for bear defense. Wonder if the hiker was thinking he would bag some small game bush snacks on the trail.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:34 AM

I carry a 20g for defense in the bush. The slugs are 7/8 oz and the firearm is significantly lighter. When checking fence up north all day you notice the weight savings pretty quick.

I have also been charged by a grizzly and am very aware of how fast things can happen. It would most likely be a very close range shot in less then ideal circumstances.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:53 AM

The guys about as sharp as a marble. So is his "friend" . Shoot a bear in a National Park then call the Fish Cops on yourself. You can't fix stupid.
The charges are going to be significant.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:55 AM

if a G bear was killed from a 20 gauge, it is pretty obvious the bear was very, very close to the shooter. For those of you that are on the bears side, would you be happier reading about another bear attack that killed a human???
Old 08-09-2022, 09:09 AM
AO Sponsor

In Montana, a few years back but not too many, an Alaska resident was hunting pheasants with a .410 shotgun on the Marias River, prairie country, got charged by a grizzly and killed it. Cool story eh? Apparently the guy knew what his chances were with the .410 and obviously what he had to do to win.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
if a G bear was killed from a 20 gauge, it is pretty obvious the bear was very, very close to the shooter. For those of you that are on the bears side, would you be happier reading about another bear attack that killed a human???
It's illegal to carry a loaded weapon in National Parks...period. Of course most of us are on the bear's side, and let's hope neither of those hikers contribute to the gene pool!
Old 08-09-2022, 09:16 AM

Talk about you’re IDIOTS!! This clown is a classic!!

BW
Old 08-09-2022, 09:38 AM

Wasteful. I agree, he should used a 12 gauge. Not too smart that feller. He’d have gotten off easier if he shot a human.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Without more info its hard to say but its hard to take the side of a guy who carried a firearm in a park where you are not allowed firearms. He decided to pack a gun but not bear spray or anything else? Also, I have hiked that trail a few times. The bears are plenty and normally just watch you walk by as they seem humans ALOT. I have hiked that area from cadomin to Jasper for 15 years an have seen tons of bears, no incidents.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:19 AM

Never know.....

Carrying a gun in a "gun free zone".

Shooting something that is potentially "posing a threat"...

Kinda sounds familiar.......

But we will not know the whole story, as usual, so on it goes...
Old 08-09-2022, 10:22 AM

The story sounds fishy but maybe thats just the reporting. It is pretty dumb that he had a gun in the first place. I wonder what kind of shot he had in it, would that information get released eventually?

Last edited by ManitobaSlim; 08-09-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 08-09-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Didn't read the article huh?
Old 08-09-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Never know.....

Carrying a gun in a "gun free zone".

Shooting something that is potentially "posing a threat"...

Kinda sounds familiar.......

But we will not know the whole story, as usual, so on it goes...
Never thought of it that way great point. CBC , the organization where situations go to become “newsworthy”
Old 08-09-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting how a black bear was wounded by a guy with 20 ga has turned into a grizzly bear killed by guy with a 20 ga.

After reading the article it could be that he peppered a bear in the ass with some #7 bird shot. I saw nothing indicating it was a slug or buck shot or salt for that matter

Not a smart man by any stretch carrying a gun in the park but reading the whole article is more informative than reading this thread ,even though it is light on detail.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:36 PM

Word on the street in Jasper is that he encountered a black bear across a creek from him (Approx. 30yd away) and first fired a warning shot, which did not cause the bear to react. He then fired at the bear and wounded it with a SLUG from his 20 gauge.

The man is an Albertan and is reported to have been pretty cooperative (other than breaking pretty much every National Park firearm and wildlife regulation!).

Parks staff have been attempting to locate the bear, dead or alive, ever since.

Living and recreating in Jasper, I have had about 15 black bear and 9 grizzly encounters this year alone while hiking, running and biking. Most were within 30yds and some as close as 10yds. More than half were sows with cubs.

Not a single one resulted in problems for me or the bear.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:58 PM

A better account than CBC, looking at up to a $25k fine

The bear was approximately 30-40 metres away from the individual. The man fired a “warning shot,” according to Argument, at which point the bear began moving down the creek.

Unfortunately, the drainage intersected the footpath further down.

“The way the topography is there, it brought the bear closer to the man,” Argument said.

Upon his second encounter the man discharged his firearm directly at the bear. The rifle slug from his 20-gauge shot gun hit the bear, Argument said, at which point the bear “rolled down the embankment of this creek and out of the man’s site.”

“He didn’t stay to confirm if he killed the bear or not,” Argument said.

The individual attempted to report the human-wildlife conflict with Jasper National Park authorities, but because cell phone coverage was spotty in the area, he could not get through. Soon after, however, he managed to contact the two members of his party who had continued their hike to the Colin Hut. Those hikers made contact with Parks Canada and filed the incident report, Argument said.

https://jasperlocal.com/local-news/b...-park-visitor/
Old 08-09-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A better account than CBC, looking at up to a $25k fine

The bear was approximately 30-40 metres away from the individual. The man fired a “warning shot,” according to Argument, at which point the bear began moving down the creek.

Unfortunately, the drainage intersected the footpath further down.

“The way the topography is there, it brought the bear closer to the man,” Argument said.

Upon his second encounter the man discharged his firearm directly at the bear. The rifle slug from his 20-gauge shot gun hit the bear, Argument said, at which point the bear “rolled down the embankment of this creek and out of the man’s site.”

“He didn’t stay to confirm if he killed the bear or not,” Argument said.

The individual attempted to report the human-wildlife conflict with Jasper National Park authorities, but because cell phone coverage was spotty in the area, he could not get through. Soon after, however, he managed to contact the two members of his party who had continued their hike to the Colin Hut. Those hikers made contact with Parks Canada and filed the incident report, Argument said.

https://jasperlocal.com/local-news/b...-park-visitor/
Under some circumstances I would be on the guy's side but it doesn't sound like he was dealing with an aggressive bear or a bear that was stalking him.

There are times and places to use a gun to kill a bear, but this doesn't sound like one.

Clearly the individual lacks a lot of judgement and experience.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Under some circumstances I would be on the guy's side but it doesn't sound like he was dealing with an aggressive bear or a bear that was stalking him.

There are times and places to use a gun to kill a bear, but this doesn't sound like one.

Clearly the individual lacks a lot of judgement and experience.
You do realize this guy was in Jasper National Park, when he decided to use a shotgun for a bear deterrent.

Carrying and using firearms in a National Park in Canada is verboten.

BW
Old 08-09-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
You do realize this guy was in Jasper National Park, when he decided to use a shotgun for a bear deterrent.

Carrying and using firearms in a National Park in Canada is verboten.

BW
Yes I do, that is part of the judgement comment. He was foolish to carry the gun in a national park given the rules and also to use it the way that he did.

However, it's also not legal to shoot a bear outside of a National Park outside of a hunting season - you might be more likely to get away with it if you can prove your life was threatened.

Illegal/legal doesn't always mean right or wrong. If he had shot the bear outside the park, based on what I read, I would say he was probably wrong as well.

If he shot the bear as it was mauling someone we would probably be having a different discussion - even if it was in the National Park.

Clearly he lacked judgement.

Last edited by trailraat; 08-09-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:48 PM

Hi on Ursaphobia and low on smarts.

This guy is going to get an education and a lighter wallet, all at the same time.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-09-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Hi on Ursaphobia and low on smarts.

This guy is going to get an education and a lighter wallet, all at the same time.
Parks Canada loves people like this for making an example of, betting he's looking at the maximum .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 08-10-2022, 08:46 AM

Be interesting to see what happens. However, I can see a hefty fine, to start with.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
Be interesting to see what happens. However, I can see a hefty fine, to start with.
Maybe a firearms prohibition to boot.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-07-2023, 09:38 AM

Default The rest of the story

He received a $7,500 fine.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...fine-1.6897845

Quote:
Alberta hiker fined $7,500 for shooting black bear in Jasper National Park

Stephen Cook · CBC News · Posted: Jul 05, 2023 3:31 PM MDT | Last Updated: July 5

An Edmonton man pleaded guilty Wednesday to shooting and injuring a black bear in Jasper National Park last summer.

Serge Painchaud, 42, was fined $7,500 for violating a hunting restriction under the Canada National Parks Act.

According to an agreed statement of facts read into the Court of Justice in St. Albert, Painchaud and two friends started a hike on the Overlander Trail to Mount Colin Centennial Hut on Aug. 6, 2022, a Saturday.

Painchaud had brought along a Mossberg Model 510 20-gauge shotgun and ammunition. He carried the firearm openly.

The trail is popular and the hikers met other people along the way. At some point, Painchaud got tired and turned back alone.

Around 12:15 p.m., while on his way to the Sixth Bridge parking lot, he encountered a black bear and "became scared," according to the agreed statement of facts.

The animal was about 30 metres from him, across a small creek.

Painchaud fired a warning shot into the air. The bear shuddered and then took a few steps toward him.

About five seconds after the warning shot, Painchaud shot the bear.

One of his friends called him after hearing the shots and then contacted Parks Canada as Painchaud said cell service was poor in his area.

Jasper Park wardens found two shotgun shells at the scene, and blood from the bear.

"The black bear was injured from being shot by the defendant," the agreed statement of facts says. "The Jasper Park wardens were unable to locate the black bear after being shot."
Sentencing arguments

The agreed statement of facts notes Painchaud was co-operative at all times.

Crown prosecutor Adam Karbani argued for a fine between $8,500 and $10,000, a two-year firearm prohibition, and 12 months of probation that included barring Painchaud from using a Parks Canada pass.

Karbani said there was a need for deterrence and denunciation and that Painchaud had knowingly brought a firearm into the park on a busy weekend.

"Firearms are not permitted in national parks unless they're being securely transported through the park," he said.

Karbani also noted there was not a lot of case authority in this area.

Defence lawyer Edmond O'Neill took the position that Painchaud should only be fined $4,500 — the minimum required under the legislation. He noted Painchaud had no criminal record or wildlife offences.

He also said Painchaud had saved the court's time through a guilty plea. A trial would have likely centred on whether he was in urgent peril and whether shooting the bear constituted a defence of necessity.

"This was a very triable case," O'Neill said.

Justice Rosanna Saccomani rejected the notion, raised by the defence, that Painchaud's stated fear of bears bore any weight.

"[That] would apply to pretty much every single person in your situation," she said. "We're all afraid of bears."

Saccomani questioned Painchaud on why he had not checked the national parks website for information about carrying a firearm.

"I honestly had no idea that a national park carried different laws than any other Crown land," Painchaud told court.

"I'd done this many times before, just going for a hike on Crown land."

Painchaud was ordered to pay the $7,500 within a year. Items seized during the investigation were forfeited.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell