Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 03:18 PM

Default Idle outboard waterpump

I have a couple of older 2 stroke outboards that don't see a lot of use. Last 3-4 years they will maybe go on one trip or just get fired up and ran for a bit with fresh gas.

On an outboard that gets even somewhat steady use I'll replace the water pump every couple of years but curious how long I can go without worrying about these other ones.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I have a couple of older 2 stroke outboards that don't see a lot of use. Last 3-4 years they will maybe go on one trip or just get fired up and ran for a bit with fresh gas.

On an outboard that gets even somewhat steady use I'll replace the water pump every couple of years but curious how long I can go without worrying about these other ones.
I assume you are talking about replacing the impeller? short answer is who knows. I've had some very old yamaha and honda outboards that probably went 20 years on the original impeller.

Had a Merc (a few mercs) that needed them replaced every few years.

I usually just had a kit ready to go just in case. Cheap and easy swap out. Also water pump housing.

Most manufactures say replace every 3 years at service time - but that's quite often for the average Joe who doesn't put 100+ hours a year on the boat per year.

I probably would just buy the kit, put it on the shelf and wait until the old ones dried up and started cracking (or the outboard stops peeing correctly). If you don't use them often, they won't wear down, but just like an old tire, they will start cracking over time.

I was going to say, you can always pull the lower unit and look, but at that point you might as well swap the new one in. You could use the old one as a spare.

Last edited by EZM; 08-11-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 PM

20 years is pretty impressive, the cracking or breaking down is what I'm curious about I guess. Probably best as you mentioned just to have spares handy for when they do go. Just trying to avoid pointless maintenance.

As time carries on a fellow can accumulate to much stuff and it becomes a bit of a burden to pull wrenches if not needed. Selling would probably be the most adult thing to do however the boy will be old enough to run his own boat soon enough and then I'd be kicking myself.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
20 years is pretty impressive, the cracking or breaking down is what I'm curious about I guess. Probably best as you mentioned just to have spares handy for when they do go. Just trying to avoid pointless maintenance.

As time carries on a fellow can accumulate to much stuff and it becomes a bit of a burden to pull wrenches if not needed. Selling would probably be the most adult thing to do however the boy will be old enough to run his own boat soon enough and then I'd be kicking myself.
Many Older outboard used phenolic impellers - they may chip but still maintain enough "fins" to keep pushing enough water. Honestly, for the first part of my boat owning experience - I didn't even know to change them out (or what they were "supposed" to look like).

They sure don't make parts like they used to.

It's an easy job (that looks complicated and tough) but really the only part that's tough is wrestling the lower out and in and trying to feed the stems and shafts back in.

I keep a spare prop, hub kit, impeller, and some other parts in my truck (along with some basic tools) when going on any longer trip - you never know. And if you are up in tim buck too - parts might not be anywhere near you.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Many Older outboard used phenolic impellers - they may chip but still maintain enough "fins" to keep pushing enough water. Honestly, for the first part of my boat owning experience - I didn't even know to change them out (or what they were "supposed" to look like).

They sure don't make parts like they used to.

It's an easy job (that looks complicated and tough) but really the only part that's tough is wrestling the lower out and in and trying to feed the stems and shafts back in.

I keep a spare prop, hub kit, impeller, and some other parts in my truck (along with some basic tools) when going on any longer trip - you never know. And if you are up in tim buck too - parts might not be anywhere near you.
I have definitely changed my share of impellers out and would agree it's not to bad a job at all but as mentioned just trying to avoid wasted effort.

I do plan to do some more remote trips as the kids get older though and you provide a good reminder of a few things to keep around.

I think a whole thread could be devoted to stuff to keep handy in that situation. Right from the tow vehicle back.