Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Lightning lock issues?

Anyone out there using the new lightning locks on their snares? I've been using them with the Senneker kill spring/trigger, 265lb breakaway devices and 1/16th cable and have had 7 break so far. All have broken at the rivet and thus released my catches. 1 I'm pretty sure caught the coyote through the jaw and he bit it. 2 were on deer as the tracks/hair revealed. The other 4 were just pulled straight and broke with no sign of a struggle or any kink or bend in the cable whatsoever. Just curious at others experience with them. Think I'll be switching back to the modified camlock. The breakaway devices have been working well as the have opened the snare on 3 deer.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Default lightning locks

stick with the modified cam locks
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 PM

Default lightning lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc9239 View Post
stick with the modified cam locks
X2.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Had one break at the eyelet that the breakaway hooks into, the breakaway wasn't bent at all, and the kill spring didn't fire, might have been frozen. The wire was pretty messed up and wrapped around a bunch of stuff so I am not sure what happened there.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 AM

I've caught 44 coyotes and a fox so far this year. I've also had 11 lightning locks break. I've had them break where the breakaway loops through and where the rivet is. In most cases it seems it took very little force to break them. Kill springs were not tripped and the cable was not kinked. In a word I would call these locks inconsistent. Regardless a 25% loss is HUGE. I know some have broken on deer, but on some the breakaway opened as intended. Obviously the breakaway should open long before the lock fails. I've spoken with others who have had some break, but very few compared to myself. I'm still interested in feedback from others using these locks.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Just came back from halfords today, I returned the lightning locks I bought and got some ram's instead. The guy at the store said I wasn't the first one to return them, he was good about me returning them and said he wasn't sure if he would stock them against unless they fixed the issues, apparently he has been talking with Marty senneker about them, seems like most of the blame is on manufacturing errors... To me they seem very brittle, I put one in a vice and very slightly put some pressure on it and it snapped like a drill bit.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM

I am using them as well. I use everything you use, but the triggers.(Not that that is your issue) I havn't had any break there. I have snared deer and moose this year, and they all broke the break away.(which is what I want). I believe Marty is an AO member. Maybe you want to message him.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM

I can only talk about the 1/16 locks. Caught 5 lynx this season with them no issues. Of course these were cats not yotes or wolves. I was in Gordy's wolf course building a snare with a 1/32 lock and the eyelet broke on me when I crimped the breakaway. I have to worries using them on cats but after what I'm hearing will stay away from using them on canines.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM

I've had 5 cam locks break ,most at the pin and a couple at the eye where the breakaway hooks in, none of the breakaways let anything go. So I have 5 educated coyotes that will be very hard to fool next time. I have to talk to Marty. Frustrating!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 PM

No lock issues yet but I just came back from today's run and I had a wolf snap a 750lbs BAD !!!! not a happy day
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Sorry to hear about the misfortunes of the lock breaking . I was going to buy some of them for this past years season and never got around to it . Are the old style locks holding up ? Maybe I'll go with them instead .
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM

Has anyone heard from Marty? Is this problem being addressed?

Looking to order some senneker set ups, but not sure on the status of the lightning lock, should I just go with the cam lock?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Pulled my snares yesterday. 3 more coyotes, but 2 more broken locks. That's 13 broken for the season. I have been in touch with Marty and he did say they have had some reports of broken locks, but very few compared to what I've experienced. They seem inconsistant. They are small and lock up extremely well. I am going to wait to see if there are any manufacturing changes before I purchase any more.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Iv had 10 of his locks break as well this year, nice little lock but not impressed.