Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Default lynx

how many trappers out there dont take lynx off thier line? And if so what are their reason? Or if they do do they take the full quota they are alloted.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Depends on the cycle, ours were up in numbers so we hit them hard.
We have a large quota but ended the season a bit short in numbers.
Next year will depend on the amount of sign and tracks, never the same.

Why do you ask? Are you a trapper as well?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM

no dont have a trap line my self just talk to allot of others and have seen some areas that never take lynx and was wondering if this happens all over and wondered why. Are they harder to catch or not worth enough for the time it takes!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM

on average what does a trapper get for a lynx? then how much would it cost to trap that lynx on average?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM

It would be a rare active trapper who didn't harvest lynx off their line except in times of low numbers.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Depends on the cycle, ours were up in numbers so we hit them hard.
We have a large quota but ended the season a bit short in numbers.
Next year will depend on the amount of sign and tracks, never the same.

Why do you ask? Are you a trapper as well?

Jim, I believe he is asking because he would like ESRD to allow houndsmen to chase lynx with dogs as he does with cougars. I know in BC they allow it but not here. There have been a few houndsmen lobbying ESRD to get a season so they can sell the hunts.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
It would be a rare active trapper who didn't harvest lynx off their line except in times of low numbers.
Key phrase "active trapper"
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM

50 lynx quota like lions, lottery draw, priority draw. Whatever it may be. Sure would be a good time.

More cash spent in province from draw fees to taxidermy bills.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Might be an option in area's where there are no active traplines, but I would not agree to hunting Lynx on our trapline.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Might be an option in area's where there are no active traplines, but I would not agree to hunting Lynx on our trapline.
I could only imagine the grief this would cause for the holders of the trap lines. Want too chase lynx on private property? Sure why not. But this is people livelihoods,or supplemental income that will be suffering. Not sure if I am a fan of that idea.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
What about trappers runnig lynx with dogs on their lines? As I understand it, we cannot now.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM

I don't think I would want to run my dogs on an active trapline .. I'm worried enough about wolves getting the dogs in our area , let alone hanging them up in snares ..
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I don't think I would want to run my dogs on an active trapline .. I'm worried enough about wolves getting the dogs in our area , let alone hanging them up in snares ..
If you are running cougars in the west country, you are on a trapline. That is always a concern.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Default hounds

Running hounds on my trapline would be short-lived. Also, I wonder who decides if there is an 'active trapper"? Would it be the houndsman, driving around, and if there is no tracks, turn 'em loose? That could be a surprise, as I go out of my way to leave no visible tracks leaving roads or trails. Just inside the bush could be a different story.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 AM

Not to turn this into a trapper vs houdsmen argument. I've ran hounds all winter on traplines active and non active. Without a issue.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM

There are several houndmen running cougars on our line. I don't have any problem with it. Often there's communcation back and forth to ensure they don't disturb our sets and to ensure their dogs are not hurt. Why not work together?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM

hunting Lynx with hounds by a non-trapper I believe would require a legislative change as the Canada Lynx is classed as a Fur bearing animal. May only be harvested by a lic. trapper in Alberta.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM

BC they run lynx on small game permit. Includes wolverine and bobs.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM

I have mixed feelings on the subject, I cat hunt and trap and until this season I trapped private land so unless they were trespassing other cat hunters knew there was trapping going on and I knew who was in there if something got messed with. This season I got on as a jr. partner on a line in the forestry and had quite a few problems with guys messing around bait and snare sites which cost me a wolf. Just wondering how other guys deal with the situation, is it better to try and keep things hid and hope the dogs don't find snare sites or post the sites and risk guys messing with your gear
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Well steve maybe you should move to bc then.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Well steve maybe you should move to bc then.
thanks for contributing

Would like to see more opportunity opened up for AB outdoorsman.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
thanks for contributing

Would like to see more opportunity opened up for AB outdoorsman.
More opportunity for Alberta sportsman??or more opportunity for a few guys with hounds to line there pockets steve??
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
More opportunity for Alberta sportsman??or more opportunity for a few guys with hounds to line there pockets steve??
Your comments regarding any income to be had, shows your true knowledge of the situation. Makes as much sense as anyone saying trappers are lining their pockets shipping 8 lynx a season. As a fellow trapper and member of the ATA I have to respectfully disagree
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 PM

here is something to chew on then! What if the trapper could sell a houndsmen there lynx quota! ! or the hole thing. Yes I would like to see there more opertunity for our houndsmen. We dont have bears and they took the bobcat away and our cougar season closes in a month or less. I think it could be a win win for both groups.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Your comments regarding any income to be had, shows your true knowledge of the situation. Makes as much sense as anyone saying trappers are lining their pockets shipping 8 lynx a season. As a fellow trapper and member of the ATA I have to respectfully disagree
Well steve maybe i am misunderstanding exactly what you are wanting to do,maybe clarify exactly what you are wanting.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM

As a trapper with a registered line I'm not even sure if I can chase lynx with dogs on my line to fill my own quota? I'm thinking the answer would be no.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn6 View Post
here is something to chew on then! What if the trapper could sell a houndsmen there lynx quota! ! or the hole thing. Yes I would like to see there more opertunity for our houndsmen. We dont have bears and they took the bobcat away and our cougar season closes in a month or less. I think it could be a win win for both groups.

I don't see a win win at all. I agree the cougar quota is a joke and the season outside the mountain WMU's close way too soon. But since you are commercially into cat hunting why don't you hunt the mountain WMU's? Most of them still have cats to take right up to the seasons close. Lots of opportunity there but you won't be able to use your quad or snowmobile.

Go to the Sundre Museum and get the New "People and Peaks" book on the Panther and Clearwater area. What a great book. You will see how well the old time cat hunters did hunting cats from horseback like Gordy Crouch. The only commercial cat hunter I have heard still goes on horseback hunts is Paul Pierunek.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You are wrong, they are actually classified under big game and you must buy tags for each.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
As a trapper with a registered line I'm not even sure if I can chase lynx with dogs on my line to fill my own quota? I'm thinking the answer would be no.
I think you can. I have heard it is legal, maybe someone on here can confirm that. Steve? Can you run lynx for the holder of a registered trapline?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemoosemeat View Post
I don't see a win win at all. I agree the cougar quota is a joke and the season outside the mountain WMU's close way too soon. But since you are commercially into cat hunting why don't you hunt the mountain WMU's? Most of them still have cats to take right up to the seasons close. Lots of opportunity there but you won't be able to use your quad or snowmobile.

Go to the Sundre Museum and get the New "People and Peaks" book on the Panther and Clearwater area. What a great book. You will see how well the old time cat hunters did hunting cats from horseback like Gordy Crouch. The only commercial cat hunter I have heard still goes on horseback hunts is Paul Pierunek.
Well you think you know how ad where I hunt but you are a little off! I killed to cat in the mountains! I hunt from horse back and hike into areas not hunted! The only thing open is female in mountian areas! I hunt all across Alberta! The win win would be hunters would have to opertinity to hunt a lynx and trappers would still make there living from there line!