Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I think you can. I have heard it is legal, maybe someone on here can confirm that. Steve? Can you run lynx for the holder of a registered trapline?
As a trapper you cam shoot any fur bearer on your line but running them with hounds I am not sure about
Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn6 View Post
Well you think you know how ad where I hunt but you are a little off! I killed to cat in the mountains! I hunt from horse back and hike into areas not hunted! The only thing open is female in mountian areas! I hunt all across Alberta! The win win would be hunters would have to opertinity to hunt a lynx and trappers would still make there living from there line!

Yes I do know where you hunt. You DO NOT hunt off horseback, you DO NOT hunt in FLUZ Zones, and yes Limestone Mountain is in the mountains, so you are right you have killed cats in the mountains LOL. You are totally wrong to say just females are open in mountain zones. The only win would be for the houndsmen.

The first step would have to be to get ESRD to re-classify lynx from a furbearer to a big game animal such is the case with cougar. I don't believe that is going to happen any time soon. You never know though, if you write a few letters and get spell check on your computer you might get ESRD's ear.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 PM

Well I was keeping this one quite boys but you can certainly run lynx with hounds on your registered trapline. A very effective way of only harvesting males.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn6 View Post
here is something to chew on then! What if the trapper could sell a houndsmen there lynx quota! ! or the hole thing. Yes I would like to see there more opertunity for our houndsmen. We dont have bears and they took the bobcat away and our cougar season closes in a month or less. I think it could be a win win for both groups.
What if I could sell an outfitter my whitetail tag? Not the same as a traper selling animals from his quota, not that different.

Trapper doesn't own the lynx, I don't own the deer.

Trapper is entitled to take (10?) lynx off his line, I am entitled to take one antlered whitetail in Alberta.

It just seems one step closer to allowing paid access, or paid hunting.

I'm not against opening lynx for hunting, but I am against putting the resource in the hands of private individuals.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Well I was keeping this one quite boys but you can certainly run lynx with hounds on your registered trapline. A very effective way of only harvesting males.

I think this would be a good one for the sticky in the hunting section "Ask Fish and Wildlife What's The Law".
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemoosemeat View Post
I think this would be a good one for the sticky in the hunting section "Ask Fish and Wildlife What's The Law".
Call fish and wildlife yourself, I got the OK from them this year. Register them just like any other Lynx you take.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
If you are running cougars in the west country, you are on a trapline. That is always a concern.
Thanx , that's what I'm saying . I hunt in 400 . .. then again it's no different than the guys that get their bird dogs hung up in pheasant season by a couple local trappers that don't mind setting snares where they don't have permission .
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 AM

Default moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
More opportunity for Alberta sportsman??or more opportunity for a few guys with hounds to line there pockets steve??
Ya moose thats what us Houndsmen are doing, just lining our pockets

Any one who questions Jason's passion for the outdoors certainly does not know the man. Although i have not spoke to him on this subject his motives im sure are inspired by more time in the field running his dogs,not trying to sell more hunts. We have tried to get a hound season for bears , we have tried to get a pursuit season for lions, and this is just another attempt to get more "field days". Any restriction for any OUTDOORSMEN affects us all and we should be working togeather as Alberta Sportsmen.

Moose if your concerned about the cost of a lion hunt so much pm me your number and i will glady take you out next year free of charge, then you will see the addiction and costs that this great sport burdens us with.

regards bob
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM

I would live to go on a lion hunt someday but can't justify the cost... Yet! But I don't feel we should open up fur bearers for hunting. Just like they don't allow trappers to take cougar.