Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM

The accused looter has been identified.

Quote:
Days after RCMP said one individual had been arrested for breaking and entering homes in Fort McMurray after residents fled – he appeared in court for a bail hearing.

Jeffery Stodola, 19, is facing break and enter charges – it’s alleged he broke into two homes on Wayiandy Way in Fort McMurray before he was arrested on Friday, May 6.

RCMP said on Saturday, May 7 that one individual had been arrested.

“We are dealing with some of the incidents that we are seeing, investigating those,” RCMP Insp. Kevin Kunetzki said Saturday. “As you know, one individual was arrested for a property crime by our police dog service yesterday.”
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Probably not too many by that name in Ft Mac:

https://www.facebook.com/jeffstodola?fref=ts
Old 05-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x47 View Post
I have been following the story in the media since Sunday May 1st. When things took a turn for the worse on Tuesday, I listened intently to the radioathon coverage on Chorus. It was repeated ad noseum that the fire initially started on the previous Friday and was obviously not fully extinguished, and wildfire management never anticipated the wind changing direction . There were Numerous callers questioning the delayed response from gov't, and were quickly dropped. In my day, albertan's wouldn't have tolerated this bs, let alone be afraid to question the narrative. This province has been destroyed by the immigration of Eastern sycophants, no wonder we have an ndp govt.
Interesting.

I listened from Monday morning through to Friday, from 8:00am through 8:00pm. But I was listening to CBC. It's all we get up here.

The initial talk was of the fire starting on Friday but firefighting efforts starting on Sunday which makes sense. With two other larger active blazes crews would concentrate on the larger fires. Which were extinguished BTW.

I will agree things could have been handled better, but not by the crews or by their bosses. What were they supposed to do, with budgets slashed in half and an incredibly early start to the fire season, who would pour money into what amounted to a minor fire, on Sunday.

Seems to me they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.
Had they called in the troups and put it out on Sunday they would have been accused of wasting money and sanctioned by their politician bosses. If they put forth a minimal effort and put it out, no one would complain. And they would have a lot more money to fight other fires with later on.

I wonder which choice we would have made if we had been tasked with making that decision under those circumstances.

The only ones who failed in this disaster was the Notley government and clearly she knows it.
Make no mistake, she could care less about the people of Alberta, she proved that in how she dealt with our farmers last fall.

The only reason she is making such an effort to look as though she cares is because she doesn't want anyone to start thinking about why there weren't enough fire fighters and equipment to stop this fire before it got too big to stop.

Want to know how much she cares? Ask yourself, how far would $1,200 go if you had replace every piece of clothing, your medicines, your personal hygiene products and other essentials. Plus pay for fuels to travel ten times as much as you normally would. Not to mention food while on the road and other costs associated with living away from home.

I guarantee you this, no one will be renting a place to live on that money, or buying a Gucci bag with it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Interesting.

I listened from Monday morning through to Friday, from 8:00am through 8:00pm. But I was listening to CBC. It's all we get up here.

The initial talk was of the fire starting on Friday but firefighting efforts starting on Sunday which makes sense. With two other larger active blazes crews would concentrate on the larger fires. Which were extinguished BTW.

I will agree things could have been handled better, but not by the crews or by their bosses. What were they supposed to do, with budgets slashed in half and an incredibly early start to the fire season, who would pour money into what amounted to a minor fire, on Sunday.

Seems to me they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.
Had they called in the troups and put it out on Sunday they would have been accused of wasting money and sanctioned by their politician bosses. If they put forth a minimal effort and put it out, no one would complain. And they would have a lot more money to fight other fires with later on.

I wonder which choice we would have made if we had been tasked with making that decision under those circumstances.

The only ones who failed in this disaster was the Notley government and clearly she knows it.
Make no mistake, she could care less about the people of Alberta, she proved that in how she dealt with our farmers last fall.

The only reason she is making such an effort to look as though she cares is because she doesn't want anyone to start thinking about why there weren't enough fire fighters and equipment to stop this fire before it got too big to stop.

Want to know how much she cares? Ask yourself, how far would $1,200 go if you had replace every piece of clothing, your medicines, your personal hygiene products and other essentials. Plus pay for fuels to travel ten times as much as you normally would. Not to mention food while on the road and other costs associated with living away from home.

I guarantee you this, no one will be renting a place to live on that money, or buying a Gucci bag with it.
Thank you sir for your input. Let's start using our heads and accept reality.

With the prime fire conditions and existing fires in the area, everything humanly possible should have been done to prevent this. Fort Mac is the economic engine of Canada people, wake the **** up. This was deliberate and criminal negligence on the part of the ndp and the fire could have been an act of arson or eco-terrorism. Anybody who believes that everything possible was done is suffering from stockholm syndrome and has no self-worth.

http://www.1005cruzfm.com/syn/348/48...-parsons-creek

http://www.therebel.media/watch_notl...sy_fire_season

Last edited by 6.5x47; 05-10-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Those two young adults died in 881 far way ftom that fire .
Cat
They were requested to leave.
Had to pack in a hurry.
Stressed out and a lack of sleep.

A friend or family member was driving behind them on the Highway.
Said the mini van just started to slowly drift over into oncoming traffic.
Hit a semi head on and burst into flames.

Accident was attributed to Falling asleep at the wheel.
Yes they died far from the fire, but it was the fire that directly caused this accident.
They were told to leave.
They listened.
RIP.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1 View Post
They were requested to leave.
Had to pack in a hurry.
Stressed out and a lack of sleep.

A friend or family member was driving behind them on the Highway.
Said the mini van just started to slowly drift over into oncoming traffic.
Hit a semi head on and burst into flames.

Accident was attributed to Falling asleep at the wheel.
Yes they died far from the fire, but it was the fire that directly caused this accident.
They were told to leave.
They listened.
RIP.
It is a very sad situation that two lives were lost but
The fact remains that they were far removed from the fire and could have pulled over. Lots of people were sleeping on the sleeping of the road .

No different than any other day .
Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

It seems that some information was withheld.

Yes two young people died in connection with this fire and after looking at the water bomber that crashed I wonder what the truth is there.

Something else interesting. Yesterday it was sitting on stands half way down the runway. The engines were removed and the cockpit was not connected to the fuselage.

This morning it was gone. No longer on airport property. There are no hangers large enough to house it so what happened. How did they remove a mostly intact aircraft from the property so fast and why?

One thing is sure, they didn't fly it out of there.

And what really happened to the pilots? With the cockpit torn from the fuselage it would be amazing if their injuries were minor as claimed in one report.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have been following the story in the media since Sunday May 1st. When things took a turn for the worse on Tuesday, I listened intently to the radioathon coverage on Chorus. It was repeated ad noseum that the fire initially started on the previous Friday and was obviously not fully extinguished, and wildfire management never anticipated the wind changing direction . There were Numerous callers questioning the delayed response from gov't, and were quickly dropped. In my day, albertan's wouldn't have tolerated this bs, let alone be afraid to question the narrative. This province has been destroyed by the immigration of Eastern sycophants, no wonder we have an ndp govt.
I have to ask, What do you mean when you say "in my day" these things would not have been tolerated? Are you posting from "beyond"?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have to ask, What do you mean when you say "in my day" these things would not have been tolerated? Are you posting from "beyond"?
When women were straight and chrome was thick.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
When women were straight and chrome was thick.
LOL I like that response and remember it!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
The fact remains that they were far removed from the fire and could have pulled over. Lots of people were sleeping on the sleeping of the road .

Cat
Sad to have any loss of lives, directly, indirectly or not related to the fires at all.

Continue to be safe out there, make good decisions. The sun will rise and set today.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Different fire. On north side of town, many, many km from where 'the Beast' started on Sunday. Was quickly contained and controlled by firefighters and assets on the ground and in the air. That fire was not a threat by Sunday.

Wildfire management was well aware of the changing winds. When 'the Beast' got going it was creating it's own winds.

Great to be an 'armchair quarterback' isn't it? But some of us were there - eyewitnesses to the whole thing! And we'll be going back into the disaster area to rebuild. Where will YOU be?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Cat
Sorry Cat but the root cause is the root cause, and that's the fire.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Sorry Cat but the root cause is the root cause, and that's the fire.
No it wasn't .if that is yourself of thinking j guess the truck they were driven in was the root cause .
Cat
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Different fire. On north side of town, many, many km from where 'the Beast' started on Sunday. Was quickly contained and controlled by firefighters and assets on the ground and in the air. That fire was not a threat by Sunday.

Wildfire management was well aware of the changing winds. When 'the Beast' got going it was creating it's own winds.

Great to be an 'armchair quarterback' isn't it? But some of us were there - eyewitnesses to the whole thing! And we'll be going back into the disaster area to rebuild. Where will YOU be?
how are you getting in to rebuild? The area is in a state of emergency and under the control of the ndp. It's their call if and when they lift the state of emergency and whether or not they allow rebuilding. Rebuilding in the area would be a violation of the ndp's current platform and manifesto.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Uh oh... those darn eastern sycophants are up to no good again?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:53 PM

We gave scaffold support mobilizing tomorrow on three different sites to get them back up and running.
I'm just guessing but I doubt if we will be going back to the town proper fir about 3 weeks to a month .
Just a guess however .
Cat
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
how are you getting in to rebuild? The area is in a state of emergency and under the control of the ndp. It's their call if and when they lift the state of emergency and whether or not they allow rebuilding. Rebuilding in the area would be a violation of the ndp's current platform and manifesto.
We go back when the authorities say we go back. I'll be flying in or driving in. One of our vehicles is still there somewhere!

What are you going to do to help?

I'd like to see that "current platform and manifesto" you are speaking of, so please provide a link.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
We go back when the authorities say we go back. I'll be flying in or driving in. One of our vehicles is still there somewhere!

What are you going to do to help?

I'd like to see that "current platform and manifesto" you are speaking of, so please provide a link.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29583796/
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
We gave scaffold support mobilizing tomorrow on three different sites to get them back up and running.
I'm just guessing but I doubt if we will be going back to the town proper fir about 3 weeks to a month .
Just a guess however .
Cat
My son just informed me is being sent back up for Fri-Tuesday, but I guess at least one of the hotels are open as he has a room. Sounds like job One now is infrastructure.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
My son just informed me is being sent back up for Fri-Tuesday, but I guess at least one of the hotels are open as he has a room. Sounds like job One now is infrastructure.
Good to hear, that is a start.
One small step for Fort Mac

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:37 AM

We have scaffolders going up today and by the end of next week I expect to see about 250 up there or more.
They will be getting the plants back up ad the turnarounds finished.
They will be flown up mostly, and will be housed in the camps.
Cat
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50 AM

I have talked to several people that have already flown in, or are going to fly in over the next few days to start up Syncrude and Suncor. They are staying in the camps, but I am told that the Clearwater hotel is operating, and the RMWB staff are staying there.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
So you actually have no proof.

Again.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Holy, this is getting a little off topic, don't you think?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Good to hear, that is a start.
One small step for Fort Mac
You bet, let's remain optimistic. Following the High River flood, reconstructing came on full swing. Mind you, I don't think that the damage was on such a comparative scale. But still, in a short time the town has rebounded and now looks even better than before. I hope and pray to see Ft. Mac rebound as well and in short time. Too much of this negativity going on as I see it.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You bet, let's remain optimistic. Following the High River flood, reconstructing came on full swing. Mind you, I don't think that the damage was on such a comparative scale. But still, in a short time the town has rebounded and now looks even better than before. I hope and pray to see Ft. Mac rebound as well and in short time. Too much of this negativity going on as I see it.
The big difference between High river and Ft. McMurray the way I see it, is that there are already scads of reputable contractors and building supply outfits set up in town that are established.
this should help expedite the re-build.
Cat
Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 PM

Watching the Gov't briefing this AM. They have a pile of work ahead of them, to get things sorted out, as to getting infrastructure up and running so that people have a safe and operational town to go back to. One simple thing struck me, was that they need to assign a place to put the debris they are cleaning up. And that they have 15 "building and safety code officers" from Calgary and Edm working on building inspections. A lot of things going on up there, that the average person would not think of them having to look at, and probably stuff they are discovering, that they need to look at. Quite the process to be observing, there are a lot of pieces of the puzzle to put together.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
The big difference between High river and Ft. McMurray the way I see it, is that there are already scads of reputable contractors and building supply outfits set up in town that are established.
this should help expedite the re-build.
Cat
Perhaps, but you have to remember that I doubt there are enough materials to fully rebuild 2400 buildings from the ground up. A lot of the work in HR was basically renovations and clean up. Plus HR is close to Calgary. A lot of materials to rebuild Ft. Mac will come from Edmonton. Still though, I wish for the best for everyone.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Perhaps, but you have to remember that I doubt there are enough materials to fully rebuild 2400 buildings from the ground up. A lot of the work in HR was basically renovations and clean up. Plus HR is close to Calgary. A lot of materials to rebuild Ft. Mac will come from Edmonton. Still though, I wish for the best for everyone.
Seems to me that if they can move 88,000 people down that highway in a few hours a few thousand truck loads of building materials over the next several weeks shouldn't be a problem.

What am I missing here.

George Bernard Shaw