Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Default Buck Lake / Pigeon Lake / Gull Lake Report from last week

Well the vacation is over and its back to work... so decided to post some of the reports now.

My Father in law usually puts a couple nets is South Buck lake and I went this year to pull the nets for the first time. Last year they only got one whitefish in each net. This year we got 5 whites, 2 pike and 4 burbot. Really slow. I think the lake is fished out. Hopefully they shut it down for a few years and maybe things will improve.

Here is a video from the net fishing.
http://youtu.be/4a5e6ab4Y6o

We stopped at pigeon on the way home but the whites didn't start moving around till dark. Hooked one that broke my fishing partners line. Sure different from that first day I was out. We've been back three times and barely see a white swim by now. They must have moved out.

The next day we tried Gull lake. Lots of guys on the ice out at Birch Bay, but didn't see any fish. Tried a bit further north and just saw alot of weeds. Decided if we can't see any fish we won't be catching any so we headed back to Pigeon lake. Tried for whites but didn't see anything. Headed to a walleye spot right before sunset and landed a couple walleye and two pike in about 30 min.

Brandon
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Cool pics. I was curious as to what fish you were targeting with the nets? Isn't it odd to get both whites and burbot in a net? From what I understand they are in opposite ends of the water column.

LC
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM

I don't know what you mean by opposite ends of the water column... all fish are between the bottom and the ice and that is where a net goes. Burbot and whitefish both stay close to the bottom. It is actually very common to get whites and burbot in the same net. All nets are set with the purpose of catching whitefish, nobody wants burbot in a net. It has weights on the bottom and the floats pull the net errect to whatever the height of the net off the bottom. So you pretty much catch everything from the bottom to the top of the net. You have to set the nets deep enough so the floats are not up against the ice or it could freeze in if it is cold enough. Commercial fishing in Alberta is for whitefish as far as I know and thats what everyone wants in their nets.

Brandon
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM

So, you or your Father In Law can justify a 45% hit ratio on the target species as good?? Buck Lake then is just fished out and this is helping how?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Ok...I just thought the whitefish were up higher in the water column. That would explain why you were getting burbot and whites in the same net.

I never understood how you can "target" whites when if they hang near the bottom much like the other "non-target" fish do? (pike, burbot, walleye, perch, etc.)

I guess I assumed people could target whites because they were up higher in the water column....but this is clearly not the case.

I would imagine thats a pretty poor turn out for a net....as someone else suggested it is also a poor ratio of target to non-target species.

Just curious did you keep the burbot or leave them behind? Burbot are one of the fish the net guys like to leave behind.....and it is perfectly legal to leave them.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-11-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Nice pics Brandon.. thx for posting
Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 PM

nice eelpout. gonna get some guys juices flowing on here. maybe expect some pm's asking for livers.

Dace
Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
So, you or your Father In Law can justify a 45% hit ratio on the target species as good?? Buck Lake then is just fished out and this is helping how?
Why would we have to justify what got stuck in the net??? We followed the rules and this was the outcome. I didn't say it was helping the lake. Its not the commercial fishermans fault... its poor management by the government. Net fishing has certainly helped in the decline of the lake, can't deny that. The size of the mesh is what changes to avoid catching smaller fish and other species like the walleye. The big hump on the white gets stuck in the larger mesh as I understand along with some larger fish. Personally I'm not a big net fishing fan. I wish they'd stop it all together. I was just along for the ride to enjoy something my Wife's family has been doing for many years.

All the fish were eaten and no the burbot did not go to waste. My father in law knew a guy who wanted them and dropped them off the next moring.

Brandon
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM

Wouldn't a lot off people catch that many fish with a hook and line in a days fishing?????
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Brandon is a great guy. As he stated he just went along for the ride. He feels South Buck is just about collapsed by the results of the net pull.

Your lucky to get 2 fish a day out of South Buck now on a lure. Another lake that is hurting for fish.

Brandon how is Grandpa Les doing? I had the pleasure to fish with him the last 6 years. I know he had some health issues last year.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 AM

SRD needs to decide whether its going to be Recreational Angling or Commercial Fishing. Its clear our very few fish bearing lakes cannot support harvest from both entities. From my perspective Recreational Angling overshadows Commercial Fishing interims of revenue generation and servicing Albertans by 100 fold. Commercial Fishing in Alberta can no longer be considered to be a legitimate means of supplemental employment its recreational these days from what I see. Its an easy choice in my opinion.

I understand and respect that there is a traditional heritage to Commercial Fishing and I can respect that SRD can’t simply discontinue Commercial Fishing cold turkey. I think they are trying to phase it out but it’s a long drawn out process perhaps too long. There is a saying that goes along the lines of “what got us here likely won’t get us where we want to go”. Essentially Change will occur and we need to adapt to anticipate or accommodate that change or eventually Change will overcome you.

From an Anglers perspective, Commercial Fishing should only be allowed to be continued on water bodies that are prone to summer/winterkills, where Recreational Angling is minimal/non-existent, or where over population is occurring that has been proven scientifically not by public opinion/outcry.

That’s my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Buck Lake NETS

This has always been an Issue. Fished Buck lake for many many years ( by line & hook ) I have seen the decline of Whites. It alway stumped me why Nets were allowed. I would love to fish Buck, but its a long day of seeing nothing. Gull is not quite as slow - so I put me efforts there.

I really miss the fight of a jumbo white - but until netting is stopped. There is no point anymore.

Well I will probably try it in March - But I can predict the day.....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Where were you guys putting the nets in on Buck?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
Brandon is a great guy. As he stated he just went along for the ride. He feels South Buck is just about collapsed by the results of the net pull.

Your lucky to get 2 fish a day out of South Buck now on a lure. Another lake that is hurting for fish.

Brandon how is Grandpa Les doing? I had the pleasure to fish with him the last 6 years. I know he had some health issues last year.
Sadly my Grandpa Les passed away March 2011. Lost the best fishing buddy I ever had. He took us to so many different lakes and the ocean. He fueled my addiction. It was tough to see him the last time, didn't even have enough strength to sit in the shack and fish for five minutes. So sad to not have him around anymore. He had recurrent Lung cancer after surviving 12 years after his firt diagnosis. As physician and friend, to all the readers I highly recommend not smoking. Quiting is tough, but dieing of cancer is tougher!

To answer where the nets were, they were kinda in the middle of the lake. The nets are spread all over the lake from what I could see, no reason to if from what I saw.

Brandon
Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Sadly my Grandpa Les passed away March 2011. Lost the best fishing buddy I ever had. He took us to so many different lakes and the ocean. He fueled my addiction. It was tough to see him the last time, didn't even have enough strength to sit in the shack and fish for five minutes. So sad to not have him around anymore. He had recurrent Lung cancer after surviving 12 years after his firt diagnosis. As physician and friend, to all the readers I highly recommend not smoking. Quiting is tough, but dieing of cancer is tougher!

Brandon
I feel for you....I lost my Mom from cancer at the age of 60 this past October....she died the day before my birthday. She too was a smoker....my Mom went faster though January 5th last year diagnosed and by October she was gone.....

LC
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post

To answer where the nets were, they were kinda in the middle of the lake. The nets are spread all over the lake from what I could see, no reason to if from what I saw.

Brandon
Sorry to here that Brandon. We were always welcome to his wonderful place for a quick drink at lunch time. He loved fishing and was happy to share his hooks. Got to fish in his shack a few times. Even if he caught a 3 incher he had a smile from ear to ear.

Take care!!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I feel for you....I lost my Mom from cancer at the age of 60 this past October....she died the day before my birthday. She too was a smoker....my Mom went faster though January 5th last year diagnosed and by October she was gone.....

LC
Very Sorry to hear about you Mom, its never easy losing family.

Well My grandpa was actually re-diagnosed. He was cured the first time with partial lung resection, chemo and radiation. The second time we found out Jan 2011 and by March 2011 he was completely wasted away and passed. It does go very fast, we were lucky he had the extra 12 years. At least we had one good last Christmas with him out on the ice.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Just a footnote...

A friend I know was netting South buck 30 years ago and only getting 5 to 10 fish per pull....so this lake seems to be about the same as for netting results. The bigger pulls used to be pre-1970s.

I have lure fished this lake in summer and winter thru the years and I have always caught lots of pikeral and pike. Whites and perch are more incidental, but I have caught them too. Some burbot after dark too.