Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2022, 07:27 AM

Prussian carp were first introduced to an irrigation canal northeast of Chestermere by an illegal dumping from a private fish farm adjacent to a canal.
Now that facility grows Talapia. That water eventually gets to the Red Deer River. So this was an intentional dumping rather than euthanizing and properly disposing of the carp.

After that there were lots of fish moved around no doubt by people.
The carp's incredible ability to reproduce has allowed the population to explode across southern Alberta
Old 05-11-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwalker View Post
Some of the posts are getting racial, disgusting.
And out of date, like 5 years ago. I always get a kick out of posters that ignore the date of the post. It is kind of like fail Army:

Fail

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 05-11-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:34 AM

We as fishermen should look at this as a challenge. There is no limit on these evasive species. Get em. I have had good success with a bloodworm fly under an indicator.

A good watch here

And here

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-12-2022, 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Lornce;4519679]We as fishermen should look at this as a challenge. There is no limit on these evasive species. Get em./QUOTE]

Washington state has a bounty on pikeminnow. Fisherman have made over $100,000USD just fishing Pikeminnow. If Alberta environment put a bounty on Prussian carp, that would be a game changer! I would definitely change my mindset on targeting them!
Old 05-12-2022, 09:15 AM

Washington bounty
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/creel/pikeminnow
Old 05-12-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Prussian carp were first introduced to an irrigation canal northeast of Chestermere by an illegal dumping from a private fish farm adjacent to a canal.
Now that facility grows Talapia. That water eventually gets to the Red Deer River. So this was an intentional dumping rather than euthanizing and properly disposing of the carp.

After that there were lots of fish moved around no doubt by people.
The carp's incredible ability to reproduce has allowed the population to explode across southern Alberta
Kind of doubted, heard that farm used to grow whitefish. Prussian carp growth rate is not fast enough to make profit, haven't heard anyone farming on it.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
We as fishermen should look at this as a challenge. There is no limit on these evasive species. Get em. I have had good success with a bloodworm fly under an indicator.

A good watch here

And here
That sounds interesting, like to give it a try. Is there a picture or video of?
Old 05-12-2022, 10:18 AM

Landwalker, I was told by a friend of the owner.

If you analyze where the water flows from that irrigation ditch and where the carp first showed up as they made there way to the Red Deer river it makes for a very good case.
Prussian carp were discarded because they were not a good choice for business
Old 05-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Are there any practical uses for Carp? I have seen drainage canals so packed with them I could nearly walk across, but wasn't sure what to do with them. Has anyone tried eating them?
Old 05-12-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that dude View Post
Are there any practical uses for Carp? I have seen drainage canals so packed with them I could nearly walk across, but wasn't sure what to do with them. Has anyone tried eating them?
You have a fish species that has no limit and a catch an kill order. Talk about opportunity if you love eating fish!.

I would give them a try. A quick google search will get you a multitude of recipes.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
You have a fish species that has no limit and a catch an kill order. Talk about opportunity if you love eating fish!.

I would give them a try. A quick google search will get you a multitude of recipes.
Thanks! I am thinking of trying to bowfish for them, might be good practice for hunting season
Old 05-12-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that dude View Post
Probably the main things that come to mind is bait, either for trapping or bear hunting from there feeding your dog/cat or fertilizer
Old 05-12-2022, 06:26 PM

Severn Rez has been destroyed and I say it was purposeful. How did people all of a sudden know to have a special rod . One car that frequents the Rockford pond now frequents Severn.

It's really brutal,,, carp are a large reason for blue green algae too. Used to like Severn for lazy day fishing and a BBQ
Old 05-13-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Severn Rez has been destroyed and I say it was purposeful. How did people all of a sudden know to have a special rod . One car that frequents the Rockford pond now frequents Severn.

It's really brutal,,, carp are a large reason for blue green algae too. Used to like Severn for lazy day fishing and a BBQ
Are they thick out there and of any size? I haven’t been there in a few years and it would be too bad, it was a spot where there was always a chance of a trout bigger than 8 inches.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:34 AM

If they are not considered a game fish and are not protected maybe there is a way to net them using dip nets or seine nets and remove and kill them in large numbers?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
If they are not considered a game fish and are not protected maybe there is a way to net them using dip nets or seine nets and remove and kill them in large numbers?
Meaning putting nets to a good use...
I'm all for that.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:56 PM

As quoted above:

"Prussian carp was not native to Eastern Europe once as well. None of Eastern European fisheries collapsed because of Prussian Carp. I think you guys are vastly overrating danger of Prussian carp"

I suggest you take a run down to the Blood Indian Dam SE of Hanna and see what the carp that were INTRODUCED there have done to that one time prairie jewel. If you like fishing in chocolate milk (we fly fish) then this is the place for you. The carp stirred up the sediment so badly you can hardly see anything past a couple of feet-if that. An yet this reservoir keeps on getting large amount of fish resources plowed into it. The tigers and browns did not eat up all the carp as was hoped. What a mess.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:19 PM

There's a reason it tells you right in the regs " If you catch one, Kill it"
Old 05-19-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:

40 years ago this was a special little reservoir in my youth. Every weekend camping, fishing, bird hunting the fields in the fall. So sad !!!

Dodger.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwalker View Post
That sounds interesting, like to give it a try. Is there a picture or video of?
I have run into Prussians in a few spots on the Bow. Usually in slack water. I tie up these wireworms with a bead up front, red wire on a #14-16 hook, and some Ultra-stretch behind the bead. I think most small Suspend under a fly fishing indicator and it's usually a killer. Great on a fly rod. Great garden Fertilizer.

Fishing Regulations
Old 05-19-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I never heard that they cause blue algae, how is it that they do?
WDF
Old 01-12-2023, 08:10 PM

From my tracing from public resource and bit of personal experience, Prussian carp came as feeder fish in pet store.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Best read up on how prolific prussian carp are, likely not going to be as rosy as you think.
Correct ... would be a disaster later.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:59 PM

Prussian Carp are bad news, please have a look and kill any you encounter.
Females do not need males to reproduce, they can use other species to clone themselves. They can reproduce 3 times a year. They tend to choke out all other gamefish. if you catch one kill it and dispose of it.

https://www.alberta.ca/invasive-fish...px#jumplinks-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYE1ciyvf2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCq2P_1uZVQ

Fishing Regulations
Old 01-15-2023, 07:54 PM

Recent studies indicate that some Prussian carp eggs can survive going through Mallard duck digestive systems. It only takes a couple of viable eggs in duck poop, to colonize a new waterbody. So - not all 'transplants' are caused by 'bucket brigade' anglers.

Scuds often travel between water bodies by hitchhiking in waterfowl's feathers, have a close look at the undersides of ducks and geese beside ponds, and look for those little, curled up shrimp clinging on underneath. Perhaps that's how juvenile crawfish are colonizing new waterways as well.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Recent studies indicate that some Prussian carp eggs can survive going through Mallard duck digestive systems. It only takes a couple of viable eggs in duck poop, to colonize a new waterbody. So - not all 'transplants' are caused by 'bucket brigade' anglers.

Scuds often travel between water bodies by hitchhiking in waterfowl's feathers, have a close look at the undersides of ducks and geese beside ponds, and look for those little, curled up shrimp clinging on underneath. Perhaps that's how juvenile crawfish are colonizing new waterways as well.
This is spot on! I shoot several geese every season loaded with live scuds under their feathers. You know those scuds aren't hanging on until they get home. They are dropping off in the first water that goose lands in next. A friend of mine has a huge dugout on his property. It was made about 8 years ago. The geese are on it late in the season when everywhere else is frozen over as it stays open due to it's 35' depth. He put trout in it a few years ago. The trout are full of scuds! There is no water source that filled that dugout except winter snow melt, rainwater and ground discharge from the water table. It took three years to fill. I shoot lots of geese coming off that dugout that have scuds under their feathers. Mother natures transfer system! Blue Herons are known transfer systems too. Fish and frogs eggs are a big one as they stick to their legs as they wade shallow waters. There is lots more than just the bucket brigade but they are of no help either.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:22 AM

Of course that's how these critters get moved around. There's guys on this forum that will argue with you till one of you gets the boot. Lived in rural alberta my while life there are dugouts with minnows in them, crayfish in them, suckers and even the odd pike. Mother nature spreads her forage around so the food chain can work.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

A good watch here

And here
I started targeting them exclusively last year. They are fun to catch and im helping to eradicate them in my small way. 20 to 30 each time i fish. Could be way more per time but im limited by health and age. I use a 14 foot pole and basically copy the folks who use the longer poles. Bait is cheap, just mostly dough with some flavor additives.

Just got to be careful if you bonk them to make sure there dead. There tough little buggers and come back to life it seems often. I just poke a hole in there brain and throw them in a garbage bag. I dont eat them so i just dispose of them in the garbage.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:51 AM

I wonder if I’m the only one seeing the irony in these posts…

Anyway, as far as I know, that carp is edible. This means that the carp has the worst enemy it can have: humans. This brings me to my question: where can I find them around Calgary? I want to do my part. I promise to kill them with a frying pan. Even two, if necessary.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
I started targeting them exclusively last year. They are fun to catch and im helping to eradicate them in my small way. 20 to 30 each time i fish. Could be way more per time but im limited by health and age. I use a 14 foot pole and basically copy the folks who use the longer poles. Bait is cheap, just mostly dough with some flavor additives.

Just got to be careful if you bonk them to make sure there dead. There tough little buggers and come back to life it seems often. I just poke a hole in there brain and throw them in a garbage bag. I dont eat them so i just dispose of them in the garbage.
frank lake has at least 100,000 prussian carp in a 50 feet by 300 feet channel. feed by high river slaughter house.their in 1 feet to 3 water. not edible major chemical in waste water but catching 20 to 50 an hour is sure fun. leave on ground feed bird or garbage help eradicate. warn others its not edible