Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2022, 08:04 AM

Default Best pike Lures

hey guys, loving the forum sections, so much good info. i love targeting pike, but would like to up my game in this department, what are the best lures and presentations you have found works best! Thanks
Old 04-13-2022, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Welcome to the nut house....loaded question for sure....I say it depends on the lake but again if I had only one choice of a lure for world wide pike fishing I would be tossing a Len Thompson no2 five of diamonds. This works for hard water too just jigging.

I don’t have to make the choice so I got a hockey sock of lures and even enjoy dead sticking a 5” herring too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

It's a pike... Tear a piece off a tin can and put a hook on it and you will catch them lol!

Seriously though, it depends on a ton of variables like anything. I always have a wide variety of options in my box for them, but in general I subscribe to the "bigger bait equals bigger fish" rule. Not always the case with pike of course as I have caught tiny pike about the same sizes as the bait I was using being the voracious fish they are, and I have also caught big ones on small lures and minnows as a by-product of targeting Walleye.

One thing is for sure, hunting pike is probably the easiest of the fish to go after IMHO.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-13-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Welcome to the nut house....loaded question for sure....I say it depends on the lake but again if I had only one choice of a lure for world wide pike fishing I would be tossing a Len Thompson no2 five of diamonds. This works for hard water too just jigging.

I don’t have to make the choice so I got a hockey sock of lures and even enjoy dead sticking a 5” herring too.
My Grandpa who passed away last year said the same thing, len thompson with 5 of diamonds, ive never tried dead sticking herring, what conditions does it work best in?
Old 04-13-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinF View Post
My Grandpa who passed away last year said the same thing, len thompson with 5 of diamonds, ive never tried dead sticking herring, what conditions does it work best in?
Well ice fishing for sure but if your in a area that is a sunken weed bed/weed bed with a drop off and want to eat a sammich with both hands and enjoy the peace this would be a time to let one hang over side....the rocking movement of the boat will give it enough action just off the the bottom to perhaps entice a bite.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:08 AM

Big crankbaits, jerkbaits and plugs. Just about any old thing will work for the most part. I find the big gators like the bigger baits.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:13 AM

My best luck has come with the Williams White fish spoon in the larger sizes and large plugs. I find with pike the bigger the better. Large fish like the big stuff better and the smaller fish don't seem to shy away. Large spinners work well for trolling, make sure they are heavy enough and impart lots of jerks and pauses.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-13-2022, 11:26 AM

IF you can get into some shallow water pike Nothing beats a streamer on a fly rod .You can also set up on spinning rod
Old 04-13-2022, 12:16 PM

For shallow water early spring pike, get a Cotton Cordell Ripplin Redfin. You want the one that is floating, but the sinking one works great as well.

This crankbait has the unique action that it dives down when pulled hard, then when stopped, it slowly starts to float and turns sideways.

You can actually see pike start to wind up like a spring as the plug starts to turn sideways and starts to rise up. Big Pike LOVE hitting like a freight train on these things, and it is pretty fun to watch the strike over and over again.

But tried and true Len Thompson yellow five of diamonds with red, or the old red devil reverse (white red white) are pretty hard to beat.

Drewski
Old 04-13-2022, 12:18 PM

The last few years I have been using the following:

Rapala Peto
Rapala Haku
Rapala Otus
Berkley Fusion 3/4oz jighead w/Zman Swimmerz in white
Storm Wildeye Live Walleye/Perch (but these don’t last as long)

These have resulted in multiple 20-30 lb pike in early spring shallow water bites.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-13-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It's a pike... Tear a piece off a tin can and put a hook on it and you will catch them lol!
I have done that.
And I did catch a pike on it.
Couldn't cast it very far though.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:15 PM

Default pike

Loon Lake SK is where our cabin is and nearly all our fishing.
Ditto Len Thompson five of diamonds yellow and red and yellow and black. Rapala 7" floating minnow in yellow perch or rainbow trout pattern (my wife caught her largest on this lure. 37") are our next go-too lures.

Vance

If you can get them biting on top water baits its quite a rush
Old 04-13-2022, 01:16 PM

Default one more

Len Thompson in frog pattern (my kids call it 8 of beans!) is also very productive
Old 04-13-2022, 01:39 PM

Old 04-13-2022, 04:18 PM

The ones I make

Lipless jerk baits, pull baits, and soft plastic swimbaits are my 3 favorites. No little girly size lures either 5-9 inch lures are what I throw

Yes you can catch pike on just about anything but but there is definitely a things that are more productive then others

I have a very sexy 7 inch soft tail jerk bait I am working on that is begging for open water season
Old 04-13-2022, 05:02 PM

Default Best pike Lures

I would pm Pike Fisher seems they are dialled in real good.
Still amazed at the crankers they produced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-13-2022, 05:14 PM

Yellow or fire tiger

Rattlin Rapala for trolling.
Len Thompson for casting. Have a second rod rigged up with a red 3/8 oz jig head and white twister body. If you miss a fish on the spoon, fire the jig into the same spot and hop it back to the boat. 7/10 you will catch the fish you missed

Barbless. Nothing worse than a gator roll burying those big trebles into your hand
Old 04-13-2022, 08:19 PM

Over the years I've "upped my game" quite a few times to very stupid levels, at this point I'm back to mostly using a single lure tray about the size of a small camera case. I catch about the same numbers and sizes of pike as ever...

This summer I'm going to try using nothing but silver Williams spoons, and plain brass Len Thompsons. I'll fit them with single hooks and just add whatever color Mr Twister tail I figure will work for the water conditions.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:22 PM

Always been a fan of Len Thompson red and white lures, or the aforementioned 5 of diamonds. Kind of the go to in my tackle box!
Old 04-13-2022, 08:49 PM

I grew up 300 yards from keho lake and the Len Thompson red & white was the standard . If they where not biting on those May as well go home . If I remember the 00 size seemed to out perform the smaller and larger size hooks
Old 04-13-2022, 09:39 PM

I'll second the Len Thompson red & whites. Just seem to work better for us than the 5 of diamonds.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-13-2022, 09:39 PM

For the most fun I like a home made lure. Last spring I was having great fun and lots of action from a spoon I made out of a tea spoon.
Top water plugs are great too but timing is critical, it’s hard not to try and set the hook too soon and yank the lure out of their mouth .
Old 04-13-2022, 09:48 PM

The ones that I make with a little experimentation to tune the lure.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:24 PM

I have a collection of big chartreuse and silver/grey shad style swimbaits that have become my favourite. Very versatile and relatively cheap. Pretty heavy so you can cast them a mile and reel, jerk them, jig them... Very close second is musky style spinners. Big mepps with a skirt, big panther martens.

Also like spoons with a favourite being a Mepps cyclops in silver with the chartreuse and red center, or white with red.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:02 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Over the years I've "upped my game" quite a few times to very stupid levels, at this point I'm back to mostly using a single lure tray about the size of a small camera case. I catch about the same numbers and sizes of pike as ever...

This summer I'm going to try using nothing but silver Williams spoons, and plain brass Len Thompsons. I'll fit them with single hooks and just add whatever color Mr Twister tail I figure will work for the water conditions.

Your no fun
Stop being so practical
I got tackle like my wife has shoes......
But you are right

Old 04-14-2022, 09:20 AM

All these are great options. I also prefer big baits but the biggest pike I’ve seen caught was caught on a perch jig ice fishing. Just over 25 lbs. One of those little jigging raps in chartreuse and white.
During those hot days after August long weekend the fishing slows down and we often switch to perch rigs and usually can catch anything from perch to whitefish, pike and walleye
Old 04-14-2022, 09:44 PM

Any len Thompson spoon will catch pike, shallow water lately I've been using them floating frogs.... that's a blast.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Any len Thompson spoon will catch pike, shallow water lately I've been using them floating frogs.... that's a blast.
Read recently "a top water hit is worth 10 under water" or something to that effect. After using moss boss and floating frogs again last year, I can't disagree.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:40 AM

Picked up a “Suicide Duck” top water lure from savage gear this year and a Fruck. Spring fishing in the shallows should be fun. Caught some pike with ducklings in there belly in the past. I’ve used all the usual lures for pike but top water is exciting
Old 04-15-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Your no fun
Stop being so practical
I got tackle like my wife has shoes......
But you are right
If you are not loading your tackle box into the truck with a fridge cart are you really a fisherman?

Thomas Sowell

Tags
lures, pike