Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Default Quad/Bike Helmet

Hey guys, I want to get into doing some quad and dirt biking. I was wondering if there is a place in Calgary which you guys would recommend to get some gear, and if so if there are specific models you guys like for preferably under 400. Is there any accessories that would be nice such as cooling systems or anything like that? I would prefer something with chin protection and a visor to keep all the branches and bugs out of my eyes. Thanks again guys
Old 02-21-2016, 12:39 AM

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ls2...ic-shield.html

I got this one. I like it. Bought a regular see through shield for it as well...
Old 02-21-2016, 12:57 AM
Banned

Get a suomy jump helmet and goggles. One of the lighter helmets I've found without going to an Airoh. I think Blackfoot might sell them...can't remember for sure. You'll have to try one on and see how it fits.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-p...mx-jump-helmet

Tough to go back to a heavier helmet once you've tried a lighter one. Decent ventilation as well.

Goggles will do a good job of keeping branches etc out of your eyes.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:50 AM

I picked up one of these 2 years ago.
http://www.flyracing.com/product/str...07/gloss-black
Love it cause I use it for anything (quad, dirt bike, motorcycle) and I wear glasses. Got a tinted visor with flat black. Visor fogs easy when using in the winter though
Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 AM

Have a look at the Icon Variant. Very comfortable. You can easily change out the visor for tinted or clear. I also use my FXR Torque snowmobile helmet early spring and late fall for quad and dirt bike . It has the "double visor" that somewhat prevents fogging in cooler weather.
The Bell MX 9 should also be considered

Last edited by Immigrant; 02-21-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM

Anything by 509 is great. Their website should point you to dealers or their online ordering system has been very good for me, quick delivery and no problems. www.509films.com
Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM

GW is usually good. Better prices than most other dealers.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM

I would get an off road helmet rather than a helmet made for street use, as the visors on street helmets are much more likely to fog up in off road applications. Helmets don't all fit the same, so try several helmets to see which one fits your head best.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ls2...ic-shield.html

I got this one. I like it. Bought a regular see through shield for it as well...
Can't help you much with a dirt bike helmet, but I do recommend this online outfit, I have bought a lot from them and their prices and service are good.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Any helmet is better than no helmet. Spend $1000.00 or $50.00. Different grades "dot" or "Snell". Snell is supposedly tougher test to pass.
I crashed many years ago with a $40.00 Woolworth special. The lid cracked in half (literally). I had a concussion for 30 minutes. People thought I was dead. Went to hospital for 2 days (met a candy striper, Yahoo!!). The helmet served it's purpose. I lived to tell this story.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Any helmet is better than no helmet. Spend $1000.00 or $50.00. Different grades "dot" or "Snell". Snell is supposedly tougher test to pass.
I crashed many years ago with a $40.00 Woolworth special. The lid cracked in half (literally). I had a concussion for 30 minutes. People thought I was dead. Went to hospital for 2 days (met a candy striper, Yahoo!!). The helmet served it's purpose. I lived to tell this story.
The Snell approval means that the helmet will actually offer the wearer significant protection, DOT, not so much. Some pretty crappy helmets have DOT stickers, but they won't meet the Snell standards.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 PM

gw cycle will have the best prices and if you get lucky you will find a last years stock that fits. I got a top of the line thor for 160 bucks
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM

If you are looking for something reasonably priced, Canadian tire honestly has some decent off road helmets. Might be worth taking a look