Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Well, that third pic is on the wall at The Fishin Hole in Calgary. It's labeled that it's from Sask. somewhere (can't recall).

When I saw the mammoth pike in the other thread, it's the first thing I thought of. Like, my god, they caught it!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

how big do you think this one is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCT-Q...pw373Q&index=2
Old 10-15-2011, 02:37 PM

If you have ever fed feeder fish into a fish tank, 99% of the time the fish either take from the head or the tail. It depends on the species that is feeding. The only time they will take sideways is if the feeder fish moves at the perfect moment so that they get taken sideways, even then the feeding fish will let go and go for the perfect strike. I used to have an African knife that allways took from the head and a African pike that it did'nt matter which end, he was just a pig but allways from one end or the other, never sideways.
Was funny, I would drop in 6 gold fish once a week and the pike would take them all. On the third week as soon as the gold fish hit the water the knife would chase the pike into a corner then go feed, as soon as the pike moved the knife would chase him in the corner again. Amazing what a little bit of hunger will do to attitude. Had to get rid of them back to the pet store as they were just costing too much and gettig too big. The pike was about 10" and the knife a little bigger, say 12"
Old 10-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
If you have ever fed feeder fish into a fish tank, 99% of the time the fish either take from the head or the tail. It depends on the species that is feeding. The only time they will take sideways is if the feeder fish moves at the perfect moment so that they get taken sideways, even then the feeding fish will let go and go for the perfect strike. I used to have an African knife that allways took from the head and a African pike that it did'nt matter which end, he was just a pig but allways from one end or the other, never sideways.
Was funny, I would drop in 6 gold fish once a week and the pike would take them all. On the third week as soon as the gold fish hit the water the knife would chase the pike into a corner then go feed, as soon as the pike moved the knife would chase him in the corner again. Amazing what a little bit of hunger will do to attitude. Had to get rid of them back to the pet store as they were just costing too much and gettig too big. The pike was about 10" and the knife a little bigger, say 12"
So you bought them thinking they wouldn't grow or cost $ to feed them, so when that happened, you took them back....? Hope you're not dog shopping now....