Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM

If they were using fish traps instead of nets this wouldn't happen. Cold Lake has done this and has really helped the lake trout population.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
If they were using fish traps instead of nets this wouldn't happen. Cold Lake has done this and has really helped the lake trout population.
I guess burbs are a sport fish of Alberta

http://www.albertasportfishing.com/sport_fish.php
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentam View Post
when i first found this thread i was at a loss of words. i dont see how anyone can do this to the fish. so what if you get burbot and dont want them. you could atleast put them back for someone who does want them. people always wonder why species keep going extinct on our planet, this is exactly why it keeps happening. so many people have no concern about how there actions will effect the environment. in my opinion the people who did this to those fish should be stripped down and thrown out on the ice just like those fish were. it is absoultly disgusting how those fish were treated. this is one of the reasons i want to become a f&w officer. i have currently made 17 phone calls to fish and wild life offices that deal with the location. i have also been incontact with albertas government multiple times.
I have seen first hand when i was 5-10 years old, the population of burbot go from thriving, to extinct in one of my favorite perch lakes. I used to remember 20 years ago, driving on Blackstrap lake in sask, and passing dead burbot after dead burbot, left to waste. DNR had to hand out flyers to fisherman while they were fishing and show them how to clean them and cook them. Now in the past 10 years i havent heard of one being caught.
I hope something is done about the waste, at least find a way to use the dead burbot somehow.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Default letter sent

"letters of disgust" sent to MLA. I feel commercial fishing has no place in Alberta until we the public are allowed to catch and keep all species
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Disgusting. Makes me want to drive out there and steal their nets.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
Bump to keep this active...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
A better solution would be to find out who is fisheing along with the where and when commercial fishing is happening in your area and if time permits getting some free fish.

I sure am enjoying my free fish.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Holy crap!!!! Such waste!!! My Kerry knows how to fillet them and they are quite tasty! I guess the ravens & other birds will clean it up, but really...what a waste!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

We need to create T-Shirts showing off the mighty burb just like the trouters do,, and get the fish the recognition it deserves. Personally, I think they are far more interesting looking than a lot of fish and we really need to get this stupid need for applying aesthetic beauty to the flora and fauna of our world. Yes a trout is colourful and appealing, but so is a burb, or sucker for that matter,, too many fiscists at SRD I guess.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

this makes me sick i really enjoy both catching and eating them, such a waste
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM

That is a big shame, you see that anywhere burbot are, but you also see this at other lakes as well. Two years ago at Fickle Lake had a problem also. They took the whitefish, walleye and perch, but left the northern pike on the ice. If they are netting, they should take everything and waste nothing. This gives us sportsmen a bad name also, even though they are not sportsmen..
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

Before everyone goes and fills their boots, a lot of this burbot is actually used.

The Hutterites like to use these fish, and yes they get permission from SRD, to feed the fish to their pigs and chickens.

Now, Does anyone wonder why some of your store purchased bacon sometimes tastes a bit fish like?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Its amazing what (Legislation) people are aloud to get way with. It makes me sick.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Before everyone goes and fills their boots,
most on the form think you mean foot ware lol lol
Old 01-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
We need to create T-Shirts showing off the mighty burb just like the trouters do,, and get the fish the recognition it deserves. Personally, I think they are far more interesting looking than a lot of fish and we really need to get this stupid need for applying aesthetic beauty to the flora and fauna of our world. Yes a trout is colourful and appealing, but so is a burb, or sucker for that matter,, too many fiscists at SRD I guess.
ugly is the new beautiful! Id rather catch a burb than a trout anyday, but thats just me. taste a lot better too. if any of you netters have burbs you dont want, let me know I will come pick up a truckload

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 PM

What a waste but it's not just the commercial guys doing this. That picture shows a a bunch of fish in one spot that were left to waste but there are lots of recreational angles just throwing them on the ice and leaving them as well. I have no idea why but I have come across it more than once.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Default wasted burbs

I'm with Wayne, but not sure a truck load will be enough. Caught my first burbot (ling) trolling for lake trout in 65 to 80 feet of water in northern ont with steel line, damn near dropped the rod in the lake when it surfaced(lockness monster). Aunt cooked it up, baked of course, served with hot butter(poor mans lobster) never looked back, chin whiskers or not! There has to be a way we can help out these netters do the best they or we can do with this bicatch if our so called gov gurus will not See what I can do about T-shirts with our castaway not so PRETTY fish.