Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Banned

Default Story of an old lure

So, every year a ritual takes place for most fishermen - myself included - the inevitable making room and the organising of lures and such.

Now, I find something happens, mildly embarrassing to say the least, I have conversations with each and every lure I organise,, or rather, the veteran lures.
It usually goes something like this "... remember when that Chinook shook you off after 20 minutes of fighting and not two weeks later you got that nice pike?"

I have ragged lures that I don't use anymore due to some incredible memories, and not just of fishing them but memories of a younger me and a younger and sprite Dad and how those lures came along on great waters explorations.

They aren't just hunks of metal and bronze, they hold meaning.

I've a ton more lures to organise.

Do you have a lure and a story that goes with it, can you post a picture of it and tell that story?

I'm still deciding which lure and which story to tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldtrays.jpg (62.3 KB, 239 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Banned

gust i fell your pain. i have the same problem every time i re-organize my tackle boxes (and work tools). in the end you must let go of the past and move on. iv'e found that taking pics of some of those old standbyes can help, but in the end i'ts best to let go or pass them on to someone.

that will be 5 cents please. the psy. is in. (hope i saved you from becomming a hoarder).
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Hey do you have any wooden lures to show .Im mainly a fly fisher but have a special interest in old lures.do you have a wooden lure story to share? If so please tell us.good fishing storries are always interesting.I was fishing at this old fishing hole many years ago and the fish were so aggresive you had to hide behind a rock to bait the hook.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM

I don't have many old lure stories, but I have a couple of old oar stories that would raise a few eyebrows.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
I don't have many old lure stories, but I have a couple of old oar stories that would raise a few eyebrows.
Wat you doin in that boat with them 2 old oars!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 AM

This old boy has caught a ton of fish. When he was pretty beat up and I could bare to do it, I drilled two holes in him and added lead and pulled of the back treble and doubled the front split rings. From there it went on to become my favorite, gaining legend status amongst the pike of Rattlesnake and then lake Newell. If you look closely, on one of the mid lake humps, the pike have erected a monument so to speak, of this great lure and they speak of it in hushed tones. LOL As ugly as it is I would not hesitate to pull it out if I was after pike, almost brings a tear to my eye.

Edited for grammar.

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 05-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM

Default frog popper

I remember my father having an old beat up hula popper similar to this one 30+years ago.

While I don't specifically remember him catching fish with it, he always had it in his tackle box. As a young boy I thought no self respecting pike would eat that. Fast forward 20 years and some buddies and I were fishing Pigeon in a shallow bay adjacent to some weeds. Fishing was slow and everyone was snagging bottom/weeds, so I figured I needed something floating/topwater, so I put my dad's old hula popper on. My buddies laughed at me, and honestly, I didn't think it was gonna work either but thought I would give it a shot. I casted to within inches of the pencil reeds and let the waves dissipate, a couple of hand cranks on the reel later and a loud splash erupted and my froggy was gone. It turned out to be a fair sized pike and my buddies and I were instant believers in my fathers old lure. I have since bought one, and like my father, it sits in my tackle box. Maybe when my young son is old enough, he'll ask me about it and with some luck he'll catch a fish with it when the fishing slows.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM

The silver one is a Paul Bunyan ,spinning flash eye. The 5of diamonds is a Len Thompson no 2..and the yellow one I don't know .have any clues?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
The silver one is a Paul Bunyan ,spinning flash eye. The 5of diamonds is a Len Thompson no 2..and the yellow one I don't know .have any clues?
Worden's Spin-N-Glo would be my guess
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I remember my father having an old beat up hula popper similar to this one 30+years ago.

While I don't specifically remember him catching fish with it, he always had it in his tackle box. As a young boy I thought no self respecting pike would eat that. Fast forward 20 years and some buddies and I were fishing Pigeon in a shallow bay adjacent to some weeds. Fishing was slow and everyone was snagging bottom/weeds, so I figured I needed something floating/topwater, so I put my dad's old hula popper on. My buddies laughed at me, and honestly, I didn't think it was gonna work either but thought I would give it a shot. I casted to within inches of the pencil reeds and let the waves dissipate, a couple of hand cranks on the reel later and a loud splash erupted and my froggy was gone. It turned out to be a fair sized pike and my buddies and I were instant believers in my fathers old lure. I have since bought one, and like my father, it sits in my tackle box. Maybe when my young son is old enough, he'll ask me about it and with some luck he'll catch a fish with it when the fishing slows.
I've got piles of hulapoopers. Back in ontario they were one of my favorite bass surface lures. "fred abogast" lure company actually made a LOT of great lures that are very hard to find. They made the jitterbug, crazy crawler, dying flutter and a bunch more awsome bass lures... and anything bass bite a pike will bite.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Gust - That tackle box of yours is sweet. That is how a tackle box should look like

I have retired 3 lures - A Red Devil that I used in the NWT fall fishing for Pike about 10 years ago. I found a small bay on a crazey windy evening. As I pulled into the bay the wind just stopped and the lake calmed down to glass. I started to cast and I did 100 casts and caught 100 Pike. The last one was a 32/lb monster. This was a month after my dad had passed away when I was on this trip. After the monster I just sat down in the boat and had tears of happiness that my dad taught me about fishing. This lure has been mounted in my boat so I can look at it while trolling and smile like a goofball.

The other 2 are a Five of Diamonds and a big clunker of a Rattlin Rap. Both have caught so many Pike in S. Alberta that there is no paint on them.

Thats the nice thing about tossin steel. Each lure has a story.

Dodger
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Just use'em up till they are gone. It's quite enjoyable still catching on a lure that has been stripped of its finish. It will evolve frome paint to the metal its made from.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM

or wood/plastic.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

I can't think of which story to tell, and they're not antique lures but lures that never snagged over the last 30+ years.

While teaching my neice to fish (when she was 20) she asked me and her grandpa what lures she could use,, and we answered at the same time "Anything you find in the tackleboxes". So, she's about to cast and I ask to see which lure she picked, and, it was the 5 of diamonds in the pic below,,, "WHOA, nope, sorry dear, THAT lure is off limits", "but you said??", "our mistake dear, try one of these instead".

I'd rather lose a new expensive lure than the ones that bring back memories.

Look at the frog pattern and the 5 o'd, I just noticed now putting them side by side that the teeth scrapings are completely different. The 5 o'd has caught a 15lb Chinook on 8lb test from the Argonaut Wharf in Campbell River, a 22 lb pike from the lower lower bow, a 7 lb brown from the trhdjkjhk, and an 8.5 lb walleye from MacGregor, plus a gazillion other fish in between.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldfriends.jpg (88.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Worden's Spin-N-Glo would be my guess
Looks like it but I've never seen one rigged like that?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Looks like it but I've never seen one rigged like that?
You can get them pre-rigged that way. I just looked at their website, they are under "Spin-N-Glo® (Rigged)". If I recall, I saw them at Wholesale Sports that way 2 years a go. The spinner does not abrade the line that way.

http://www.yakimabait.com/catalog/pr...roductid=16176

Last edited by cube; 05-03-2013 at 10:38 AM.