Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2016, 01:45 PM

The only time I have ever needed or glad I had a drag was the 24 inch brown I caught on my 3wt in the bow. I was standing on a rock and couldn't turn around or get back to shore while fighting the fish. So I had to fight it from that position. It was nice to be able to slow the fish but the reel has nothing to do with fighting it. The long slow bend on the 3wt is what made it possible to land. 90% of the time I set my drag to not over run when Im casting. I prefer my clicker reels now anyway.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Banned

Yessssssssssssssss!
I absolutely agree with "commieboy", "highwood" and "rycoma".
Old 10-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
If you need that logic to justify buying gear, farbeit for me to stop you. Other fish have been landed.... even if one got away. And no, it wasn't the reel's fault. It was mine.
Is exactly the same thing as I said ... It was MY fault because I didn't know how to deal with a ****ty reel ... its not the reels fault my skill wasn't up to the task, but tomorrow if I am in the same situation and some fish wants to make my drag scream it wont spool my line at the same time and hopefully (unless I make a different mistake) that fish WILL be landed.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Yessssssssssssssss!
I absolutely agree with "commieboy", "highwood" and "rycoma".
I don't disagree with their rational, I just happen to have a different opinion. Power to the folks who want to palm their reels and hear the clicks. We will all catch fish and hopefully all have fun doing it!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM

I have about 8 reels from various manufacturers . I keep picking up my nautilus FWX though. Great reel
Old 10-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I am currently using a Dragonfly Chilcotin reel. I like the larger arbour since my previous reel was an Okuma Sierra. Even if I have to palm it the size makes it superior in my mind.
I wish you had started with this information in the original post. The Okuma Sierra is a monumental piece of crap. I blew one out in a single outing and have never purchased another. There are many inexpensive to moderately priced reels out there with solid drag systems. I have 1/2 dozen Dragonfly and BFR reels that were priced below $70 that perform as well as my Sages. It really doesn't matter that much as most fish I land are handled by line stripping not with the reel. A fish only should get played on the reel if it manages to put itself there, and and then only until you can get the line back in your hand. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
I wish you had started with this information in the original post. The Okuma Sierra is a monumental piece of crap. I blew one out in a single outing and have never purchased another. There are many inexpensive to moderately priced reels out there with solid drag systems. I have 1/2 dozen Dragonfly and BFR reels that were priced below $70 that perform as well as my Sages. It really doesn't matter that much as most fish I land are handled by line stripping not with the reel. A fish only should get played on the reel if it manages to put itself there, and and then only until you can get the line back in your hand. Just my 2 cents.
It was the Dragonfly that failed and I already got a replacement for it.

I know I'm new to the fly fishing game but why would you want to strip in 40' of line that you can get tangled in instead of simply using the reel that is there designed to gather your line.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM

Not to de-rail, but has anyone had any experience with Galvan reels?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I know I'm new to the fly fishing game but why would you want to strip in 40' of line that you can get tangled in instead of simply using the reel that is there designed to gather your line.
It is faster than trying to reel it in with a fish heading towards you, it is ready to cast once the fish is released (or dispatched) but most importantly, I can feel the fish and control the amount of pressure on it with a simple pinch of my fingers (and provide better control than any drag i set on the reel). Drag on a fly reel is so much different than drag on a spinning reel or level wind. With either of those two, the drag will allow a fish to take line, while you are reeling in. Not so with a fly reel and this is no small issue. Having the line in hand allows me to instantly adjust the drag from light to heavy, to free.

p.s. Unlike geared reels, the reel is designed to hold your line, not to gather it.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
A good friend of mine has a couple Galvans (not sure the models) that I have tried a few times. I find them comparable to my Sage 2200s.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Because then you don't have to strip it all back out to cast again. Sometimes I reel in, sometimes I don't. I'm in no rush to get a 6" fish onto the reel and drag. LOL

I agree with some others that you often don't need a reel, or much of reel, for many smaller fish (and some larger). I just like to have something with a nice drag as a backup. I mean, if you are buying a reel anyway, why not have a nice drag. If you can't or don't want to spend the extra money, understood. This really is one of those YMMV issues. Eye of the beholder. If Millsboy wants a nice reel, Millsboy should have one.

You also don't need anything more than a Savage Axis to kill an elk, yet those Sako's and Weatherby's keep flying off the shelves.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
A good friend of mine has a couple Galvans (not sure the models) that I have tried a few times. I find them comparable to my Sage 2200s.
Uber is the biggest Galvan fanboy I know Sorry, Peter, can't figure out how to do the umlaut.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Jason,

On a Mac - "alt U then Shift U = Ü

Easy peasy!

If you are on something else... You are S O L!!

I guess you could always just copy and paste!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Sorry, Peter, can't figure out how to do the umlaut.

-Confucius
Old 10-26-2016, 01:39 PM

They are awesome reels - Made in the USA in California! Family owned!

I also like Bauer, and Made in England Orvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

-Confucius
Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
It is faster than trying to reel it in with a fish heading towards you, it is ready to cast once the fish is released (or dispatched) but most importantly, I can feel the fish and control the amount of pressure on it with a simple pinch of my fingers (and provide better control than any drag i set on the reel). Drag on a fly reel is so much different than drag on a spinning reel or level wind. With either of those two, the drag will allow a fish to take line, while you are reeling in. Not so with a fly reel and this is no small issue. Having the line in hand allows me to instantly adjust the drag from light to heavy, to free.

p.s. Unlike geared reels, the reel is designed to hold your line, not to gather it.
Pretty much perfectly said.

Mills, the reel is very secondary. If you are looking at getting a better reel as a method of picking up the slack, you will lose a lot of fish. Majority of the time I have slack line at my feet or somewhere in the cast and I always use the hands first before even thinking about using the reel. In fact, if I then decide to reel in the slack once I see the fish I've pretty much decided that I'm not so worried about losing the fish. Just my .2 cents worth.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:52 PM

Well said, though I would clarify that if one is fishing salt, then reel and drag are super important!!

I have a funny story when my wife and I hooked into a double header on a school of Jacks last May in Mexico. She (unconsciously) tried to strip in her fish and instantly lost it (as many of you know, you have about a second to react)... I was 3 hrs into fighting mine (biggest/strongest fish I have EVER caught), when I got impatient and blew up her Sage Xi3 10 wt into 7 pieces (We had switched rods halfway through the trip)...
I haven't lived that one down!!

Nonetheless, her Galvan Rush 10 was as good as my Torque 10!!

P

Quote:

-Confucius
Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 PM
Banned

Hijacked...
Old 10-26-2016, 07:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Because then you don't have to strip it all back out to cast again. Sometimes I reel in, sometimes I don't. I'm in no rush to get a 6" fish onto the reel and drag. LOL

I agree with some others that you often don't need a reel, or much of reel, for many smaller fish (and some larger). I just like to have something with a nice drag as a backup. I mean, if you are buying a reel anyway, why not have a nice drag. If you can't or don't want to spend the extra money, understood. This really is one of those YMMV issues. Eye of the beholder. If Millsboy wants a nice reel, Millsboy should have one.

You also don't need anything more than a Savage Axis to kill an elk, yet those Sako's and Weatherby's keep flying off the shelves.

Its not like I want to put every single fish on the reel, 99.9% of my intent for this post was to be for that one fish in 100, that big one your don't want to lose. I had a 26"er on today and a huge smile came across my face when she took her first run and that really smooth drag took over. I was extremely happy not to have my old reel on there.

This was the fish of the year for me and it was landed, not to say that I couldn't have done it on my dragonfly ... I am just saying I am glad I didn't have to try.