Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Jeffbridge Jeffbridge is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 90
Default Giant Mule Deer: missing need help!

Looking for information from anyone who has heard or seen anything about this deer. (Taxidermists?) I shot him on Sept 2nd. But it took me a week to find him. (Almost no blood and waste high grass/brush). When I did find him with my arrow still in the body cavity, someone had already sawed the head off. Please help, I'd just like to see him up close and in person. Surely someone on here has heard something about a deer of this caliber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4843.jpg (19.9 KB, 2616 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4842.jpg (19.0 KB, 2352 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2017, 02:08 PM
wildwoods's Avatar
wildwoods wildwoods is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Location
Posts: 3,292
Default

What a slob. Hope you get him back!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 695
Default

Rotten situation Jeff! Hope this pans out for you!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM
nube's Avatar
nube nube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house
Posts: 7,201
Default

Think there was a post on Alberta hunting addicts a while ago about a big deer like this that was found with arrow still in. They were looking to find the owner
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 2,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Think there was a post on Alberta hunting addicts a while ago about a big deer like this that was found with arrow still in. They were looking to find the owner
X2 I think there's a post by Mike Wasylyniuk about finding a deer with an arrow in it. Hope this helps.
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2017, 06:30 PM
boah boah is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 187
Default

If the guy went through the proper process for found dead wildlife, he has just as much, or more right to it than the shooter. If he’s trying to find the shooter to give it to him, he’s a pretty good guy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Zuludog's Avatar
Zuludog Zuludog is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 2,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
If the guy went through the proper process for found dead wildlife, he has just as much, or more right to it than the shooter. If he’s trying to find the shooter to give it to him, he’s a pretty good guy.
I could be wrong but sounds like the shooter just wants to see the deer (rack) first hand.
__________________
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Wolftrapper's Avatar
Wolftrapper Wolftrapper is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 598
Default

Beautiful animal.
Good luck with your search. I hope you find it and get to see it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 PM
covey ridge covey ridge is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
What a slob. Hope you get him back!
If someone found the deer before the week it took the OP to find it, the finder may have a right to keep it. I hope the OP at least gets to see the trophy he tried for.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-04-2017, 08:16 PM
dshaw dshaw is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 748
Default

lots of guys were after this buck after these photos hit the internet. I hope you get to see him up close. I haven't heard of anybody finding him that I know. good luck with the search.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-04-2017, 08:18 PM
LKILR LKILR is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Claresholm
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If someone found the deer before the week it took the OP to find it, the finder may have a right to keep it. I hope the OP at least gets to see the trophy he tried for.
Found dead wildlife permits are not issued to game that has been obviously wounded by a hunter. So if someone found it with an arrow and attempted to get a permit and reported it as killed by a hunter then no permit would be issued.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-04-2017, 09:01 PM
srs123 srs123 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 338
Default

Where was the arrow?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Jeffbridge Jeffbridge is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Where was the arrow?
The arrow entered near the right flank, angled steeply forward into the body cavity. It got about 17" of penetration and broke off. The arrow was still laying in the body cavity of the headless deer when I finally found him.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Dewey Cox's Avatar
Dewey Cox Dewey Cox is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 2,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Found dead wildlife permits are not issued to game that has been obviously wounded by a hunter. So if someone found it with an arrow and attempted to get a permit and reported it as killed by a hunter then no permit would be issued.


So, if you find a deer with an arrow in it, apply for a found dead permit, and get denied, what happens to the deer then?
Do fish and game take it, or is it left to rot?
__________________
Fish fear me. That's because they are typically timid creatures.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 PM
wildwoods's Avatar
wildwoods wildwoods is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Location
Posts: 3,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If someone found the deer before the week it took the OP to find it, the finder may have a right to keep it. I hope the OP at least gets to see the trophy he tried for.
Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 25,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?
Agree.

I lost a deer about 6 years ago tracked it over a day and a half. Some other hunters picked me up on the road when I lost the last blood and told me they would call me if they found it. Two days later I get a call, they collected what they could of the deer and had me meet them at their camp. They did a great thing, it was no slouch of a deer.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 25,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Found dead wildlife permits are not issued to game that has been obviously wounded by a hunter. So if someone found it with an arrow and attempted to get a permit and reported it as killed by a hunter then no permit would be issued.
Umm yes they are. One of the biggest bulls found dead on the base was recovered by a found dead permit...several hunters claimed they were the ones who hit it...the finder was the keeper.

LC
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 PM
boah boah is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?
If it was me who shot the deer, I wouldn’t feel right claiming it from anyone. The hunt doesn’t end when you shoot something. It ends when you harvest it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 930
Default

Lol. Obviously wildwoods is 100% correct ethics wise. Why would one want to keep the head of the deer they refused to give back to the hunter who shot it?

- nice rack! Is there a story to tell?
- nice, isn’t it? Yeah, I found it on a deer shot by someone else. Then I saw a guy looking for it but I figured I would just keep it.
- oh.

Lol.

Hope you find it, op.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
If it was me who shot the deer, I wouldn’t feel right claiming it from anyone. The hunt doesn’t end when you shoot something. It ends when you harvest it.
I wouldn’t attempt to claim it. But if I was the one who found it, I would feel weird keeping it knowing that there is a guy looking for it.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:09 PM
covey ridge covey ridge is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Honestly, who cares about rights in this case. Morally, if I found that deer dead with an arrow wound and slapped a found dead permit on it, I wouldn't refuse it back to the original shooter (should he come by seeking it). I couldn't care less about finding previously dead trophies.
I would hope that if I were the poor soul who lost it, someone would do the right thing and see that it was hanging safe and sound in my man cave.
Wouldn't you?
I would have no problem letting the OP have the trophy back, but until that time, I would hope that the person who took the trophy made an attempt to find the shooter. I hope that the shooter is reunited with his prize.

But I actually feel more saddened for the loss of meat.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
But I actually feel more saddened for the loss of meat.
Wanted to say that, but I let it go. I would to think that the op feels the same.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:22 PM
boah boah is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I would have no problem letting the OP have the trophy back, but until that time, I would hope that the person who took the trophy made an attempt to find the shooter. I hope that the shooter is reunited with his prize.

But I actually feel more saddened for the loss of meat.
This is where I disagree. It is not his prize if he didn’t recover it. If he got a few buddies together to go recover it, then yes. A total stranger happens upon it after it is no longer salvageable...........
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 PM
nube's Avatar
nube nube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a house
Posts: 7,201
Default

Sorry but If I found it then tough luck it's mine if I wanted to keep it. Nothing wrong with a nice cleaned up dead head in a trophy room.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:41 PM
cdales cdales is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 316
Default

If I found it I'd consider reaching out to find the hunter if it was a regular joe out there flinging arrows around I would probably keep it but after hearing this story the blood, sweat, tears, sore muscles and sunburnt/chapped lips I think I would invite Jeff over for a bunch of beer to personally hand over the antlers to him, and listen to the full sorry of the history with the animal.. just what I would do to be honest. Wouldn't feel right having the trophy in my room when there is a guy out there that gave it his all.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Bassett's Avatar
Bassett Bassett is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdales View Post
If I found it I'd consider reaching out to find the hunter if it was a regular joe out there flinging arrows around I would probably keep it but after hearing this story the blood, sweat, tears, sore muscles and sunburnt/chapped lips I think I would invite Jeff over for a bunch of beer to personally hand over the antlers to him, and listen to the full sorry of the history with the animal.. just what I would do to be honest. Wouldn't feel right having the trophy in my room when there is a guy out there that gave it his all.


Agreed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Instagram: @albertalivin
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM
whitetail Junkie's Avatar
whitetail Junkie whitetail Junkie is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AB
Posts: 5,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

But I actually feel more saddened for the loss of meat.
34+ degrees Celsius outside at the beginning of September down south this year....Some guys out hunting in that ain't that too concerned about the meat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-05-2017, 06:59 AM
3blade's Avatar
3blade 3blade is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
34+ degrees Celsius outside at the beginning of September down south this year....Some guys out hunting in that ain't that too concerned about the meat.
^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because I hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.
__________________
DEER!!! No...nope. Hay bale.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM
rcmc rcmc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because i hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.
x 2
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM
WatermelonBoy's Avatar
WatermelonBoy WatermelonBoy is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Duchess area
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
^ full of crap.

It was 30 across the province all the way up to 510 in the first week of sept, and it usually is more years than not. I know this because I hunt it, every single year. Amazingly, we have these newfangled things called coolers and refrigerators and don't rely on hanging a deer in the garage or shed. I know it must be hard to beilieve for an expert such as yourself, but no meat is wasted. So take your anti hunting bs and stuff it right back where it came from.
X2

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.