Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52

I caught a figure eight whitefish

I don't get it...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM

While ice fishing in the Bay of Quinte one winter we pulled up a 12 in mudpuppy. It got kicked down the hole pretty darn quick.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Somehow this ended up on the bottom of Lower Kananaskis Lake... too bad I didnt catch the guy sitting in it..

Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM

That is a frickin' awesome photo!!!! Thanks for posting! Too bad you could'nt get it out of the water. Something like that will take a heckuva long time to deteriorate.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

It would have been very hard to get it out. If i had a power auger with us we would have no problem. but with a 6 inch hand auger (with dull blades mind you) it would have taken far too long.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
I was fishing down stream of Edmonton in the North Sask. River after a big rain. The storm sewer I was fishing by had fairly clean water coming out, so I was casting into the dirty water and reeling into the clean. The walleye fishing was unbelieveable until I felt a strange pulling on my rod. It took some time for me to get my hook in and low and behold it was the biggest dam condom I had ever seen The opening was approx. 1 foot and was close to 2 ft long. I did not keep that hook it was to deeply embeded so I practiced C&R and cut the line
HeHe oops I was wondering where that went!! I have to get those special ordered. HAHA all I've caught was a tennis ball and a dog collar.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Somehow this ended up on the bottom of Lower Kananaskis Lake... too bad I didnt catch the guy sitting in it..

Awesome picture. You couldn't stage it any better.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post

bet it was fun trying to get a hook off the chair in 34" of water when you can reach 31"

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 PM

My grandfather caught an OTTER!!!! through the ice.Thought he had one hell of a lake trout on.Apparently when it came through the hole,my garandfather ran one way and the Otter ran the other while dragging about 80 feet of fishing line and a stick!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Jigging on a lake in Northern Ontario years ago I caught a bull skull.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM

A few years ago I pulled an ancient Singer sewing machine out of Lake Athabasca. I am still a little confused on that one.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
A few years ago I pulled an ancient Singer sewing machine out of Lake Athabasca. I am still a little confused on that one.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOk , thats friggin weird .

Me and Jay ( Geezle ) were talking there awhile back , with the amount we fish the River were bound to Catch a body , Or Body part . We've caught condoms , Piece of skin with Long hair and it REeked . And A bag Of Smelts that were Eff in nasty worse then the Skin and hair , Caught a Tree , And a Depends Diaper That line was cut immediately.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Awesome picture. You couldn't stage it any better.
Yup. Deserves an award of some sort, Very cool pic! Glad u didnt see a fisherperson float by afterwards Thanx for sharin.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 AM

Last year I took my argo and went into a remote lake with a buddy. We had left a boat there in the winter so we just had to bring a motor. We were trolling and I caught what I thought was a good pike. i was reeling it in and I kebt seeing this orange flash? WT# is that? Every once in a while I could feel it fight asd it got closer to the boat it really started to fight. Turns out I caught a 5lb pike and then snagged a perfect orange tip-up and then a 8lb pike on the tip-up hook along with 15' of weeds. Told my buddy he will never top that catch
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOOOk , thats friggin weird .

Me and Jay ( Geezle ) were talking there awhile back , with the amount we fish the River were bound to Catch a body , Or Body part . We've caught condoms , Piece of skin with Long hair and it REeked . And A bag Of Smelts that were Eff in nasty worse then the Skin and hair , Caught a Tree , And a Depends Diaper That line was cut immediately.

Wow, BBJ I should come fishing to that spot more often...LOL
Was this where you and I saw that guy get pinched by F&W for no license and two lines out??
NASTY!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Didnt happen to me but, Me and my step dad, and his buddy were out drolling at Murray Lake, Step dads buddy had his rod in the rod holder, he bumped it and it end up falling into the lake.. my step dad left his line out there for a bit after we stopped trolling. He reeled his line in thought he had a fish on, but it end up being his buddys rod on the end of the line lol.. Never thought ud be able to do that specially reeling in your buddys rod and reel.

And i caught some carpet at buck lake,
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Few years ago we were fishing at Fawcet. Well at one point in time, Fawcet was a lake that they floated logs on before transport to the mills. Thats why there are those logs stuck into the bottum near the boat launch.. but anyway. We went to pull in the anchor and couldn't. Felt like we had hooked the 'hole in the bottum of the sea'. So after much effort.. we managed to pull in our catch.

About 4 feet of ancient, giant chain. Probably used to hold the floating logs in place. Each link probably weighed 5 pounds.... all together 75lb if not a hundred.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 AM

my dad got his line stuck on something at devils lake right at the river mouth off the bridge so he went in to unhook it and pulled up an old splitting axe. we still use it today and i have never seen another one like it ever. it has two hindged fingers that spread the log open when you hit it it is preatty cool
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Default Does this count

Didn't really catch them was more of a rescue, had the family out camping at the lake. The wife and I were enjoying some quiet time after the kids were in bed when we heard screams for help from out on the Lake. Pushed the boat into the water and followed the voices as it was already dark, got out where they were and it seems there homemade raft had fallen apart so offered them a ride back to their camp. when asked to climb into the boat they informed me that they had been skinny dipping and had no clothes, so I got them to hang on to the outside of the boat and returned them to there camp. Very grateful but very em bare arsed girls. hahahaha...... Their mom & dad came over the next day to thank us and became good friends we BBQ-ed back and forth all summer.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Lemme guess: They brought the buns??
Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Never thought of it like that they were 13 to 14 years old lol. Still hear from them when they are passing through, and still get a chuckle about it, the girls are grown up now and call me their Uncle Hero.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM

Yikes! Well in an effort to not sound innappropriate... nope too late.

At least you saved the shipwrecked youngin's from their failed pirate ship!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:43 PM

I was fishing for perch with my uncle at hunters lake in sask, any ways he had dropped his lil old timer pocket knife in the water , that winter we went ice fishing there and what was down his hole ? yup his lil old timer!!! he has still got it in his pocket every where he goes , lol
Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM

Trolling Carson a few years back with my son & his buddy when the motor died. I mean sounded like it locked up. WTF, lift the motor & yellow rope wraped around the prop. Untangled it & pulled up an anchor so started to chew the boys out for dropping the anchor off the bow. My son lifted up my anchor still attached to the bow & chewed me out for chewing him out.

Oh Well scored a new anchor!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Default wierd catches

caught a lamprey once in the skeena river, and atlantic salmon witch took us all day to figure out what it was after fishing the skeena for 15 years never saw one before. a sea cucumber once and the old man got a giant octopus witch fought like a giant halibut then got stuck on the side of the boat for nearly 2 hours . i miss fishing the ocean on the west coast when jigging you never really know what you might pull up. once a kid on the lakelse river near terrace b.c had on a nice spring salmon then all the sudden it starts tearing out line like crazy the the line goes limp the the kid reals in and all thats left is the head lol mr seal pops up al swims away with the kids salmon. man i thought he was going ro cry poor guy. One of my favorite days was fishing steelhead on the copper my dad was fly fishing with his favorite fly then bang huge steely on then snap gone. i light a smoke and continue to bottom bounce some wool then bang fish on i fight this monster and get it in close to 30lbs biggist steelhead so far (dad got a 40lb last august) but anyways guess what theres dads fly still in its mouth lol (and yes it was barbless) still we had a hell of a laugh that day and dad got his fly back what an agressive steelhead.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM

Caught a dead cat
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 PM

Hi I’m new to the forum.

Anyways, when my family and I went on vacation to Florida my father and I went charter fishing. My Dad casted a jig and the line wrapped around a seagull. It was a heck of a battle for my Dad and I to free the hostile seagull. The seagull was pecking at our hands and squawking like mad. Boy weren't those pecks alarming. Afterwards, we laughed our heads off for quite a while. Once when my brother and Sister were fishing up in Skagway Alaska there was this little man made pond that was part of a creek full of salmon. Well anyways they caught a few salmon, though that wasn't the only thing they caught, they caught many salmon skulls as well. Yuk! There was another bizarrely funny incident when my father and I were fishing this back bush lake in BC. As we were slowly putting along in our boat, a micro sized trout jumped out of the water and hit my Dad in the head, then it landed right squarely into the boat. My father looked at me all accusingly and asked me what I just hit him with. I told him that a fish just jumped out of the water and hit him in the head. At first he thought I was just teasing him, and then he saw the fish flopping in the bottom of the boat. Shortly after the fish was released, we both had a good laughing fit.
Other notable qualifiers would be a fishing plug and tangled in a rats nest of line at long lake near Boyle, an old rusty 3' by 2' metal barrel at Isle Lake full of mud and another mud filled barrel the same size at a lake in Manitoba
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Caught a walleye @ PCR, but boy was it heavy... turns out it tied itself to my anchor...so in essense I was reeling in the boat.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM

When I was 15, I was fishing for pike and walleye from the shore. I had a red and white spoon on and after an hour of fishing with no luck, my line started peeling away on me. I thought I had a really nice pike on. However, when I got the fish up to shore, it was definitely not a pike. Instead it was 9 lbs of pure lake whitefish fury that I somehow caught by the dorsal fin.
Another one I had was when I was in North Carolina for a couple years, I got to fish occasionally. One time while fishing, I ended up catching a 30 lbs snapping turtle. It was just smaller than a truck tire. He didn't put up much of a fight though. It felt like I had hooked a log.
However, my strange catches aren't as good as my brother in law's. This last year we went out to PEI to visit family. While we were there we went fishing a few times for mackerel and some cod. While reeling up some mackerel, a gannet(seabird) dove down and tried stealing his fish. The gannet got caught in the process, and man those things are mean!! The thing was snapping at everyone that tried to set it free and finally someone got a hold of the beak and we were able to get it free. Then less than a month later, we were fishing at the bow river near Carseland and on one of his casts he hooked onto a gull in mid air. Through experience gulls are a bit easier to handle than gannets. After a 2 minute struggle, the gull was released. I guess he has the magic touch. We called him the bird whisperer after that.