Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
How old is your boat? If it's old it's rated for a 15 - 2 stroke not a 4 stroke. I hate (not really) to throw that into play. I'm a OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) fan of any 15 HP from say 78 on up. They are very good engines and will crawl if you want to troll. If your only going to have one engine on the boat you certainly want it to go slow just as much as you want it to go fast, but actually slow would be my main concern. Good luck with your decision. Many valid points mentioned above as well but this is kind of like asking who makes the best coffee. LOL Rick.
I purchased a new Lund A14 last year. I also purchased a new Traxxis 55 lb thrust. This year, I want to go on some bigger lakes (my BIL has a cabin on Lesser Slave) plus I want to go on some rivers.

Bobby B.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach123 View Post
9.9 is the besy and don't need boat lic..........Johnson of course
You need a boat license for any size motor in gas or electric now.

From what I am hearing most of the smaller motors are now being made by the same company and just relabeled.

I am pretty sure that the small merc 4 strokes are actually Yamaha's rebadged.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Buy the high thrust Yamaha 15 and it will last as long as you ever will be fishing. Will give power like a 20. But get the electric start and trim.

Yamaha and Honda are bullet proof IMO I have been running a 9.9 Yami for 5 yrs now and never an issue.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick. View Post
How old is your boat? If it's old it's rated for a 15 - 2 stroke not a 4 stroke. I hate (not really) to throw that into play. I'm a OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) fan of any 15 HP from say 78 on up. They are very good engines and will crawl if you want to troll. If your only going to have one engine on the boat you certainly want it to go slow just as much as you want it to go fast, but actually slow would be my main concern. Good luck with your decision. Many valid points mentioned above as well but this is kind of like asking who makes the best coffee. LOL Rick.
Can you show us where you got this information on HP ratings on 2 vs 4s.

15hp is 15hp, no diff. The extra weight from 4s would just mean a little less weight you could carry.....if anyone pays attention to that anyways...LOL
Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
FYI, BRP doesn't make an portable E-Tech Evinrude in any size (9.9HP, 15HP, 20HP, etc.). I believe BRP now offer's portables but they are not E-Tech's.
Yes you would be correct on that one, I have been looking at the 25 and 30's as an upgrade on mine, and didn't realize they didn't make the etec's in the smaller sizes...
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Honda is your answer for me.
×2 world's leader in reliable small engines.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I purchased a new Lund A14 last year. I also purchased a new Traxxis 55 lb thrust. This year, I want to go on some bigger lakes (my BIL has a cabin on Lesser Slave) plus I want to go on some rivers.

Bobby B.
Yamaha, then Honda......and don't worry about finding somewhere to get serviced out of town.......they don't break down.
I have 2 yammie 4strokes, and just sold another. Sold a 2002 40/30 jet and never a issue after 10 years.
My 150 and 9.9 high thrust......after 4 years, again no issues.

But for my new jet boat, I bought the ETEC 115/80 jet, for this boat the lighter weight and 2stroke quickness, is more suited.....and 3 years/300 hours no maintenance......
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCK View Post

15hp is 15hp, no diff. The extra weight from 4s would just mean a little less weight you could carry.....if anyone pays attention to that anyways...LOL
It's just the boat gets down rated because 4-stroke engine are a bit heavier, old boat rated at 20hp might now be rated at 15hp. No actual diff in the engine output.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 PM

4 stroke = HONDA

2 stroke = Evinrude ETEC - they are tiny little things that weigh like 12 pounds - and will pull a houseboat and blend up a margarihta ......lol
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
It's just the boat gets down rated because 4-stroke engine are a bit heavier, old boat rated at 20hp might now be rated at 15hp. No actual diff in the engine output.
you would have to show me in the regs where this is??

I understand they are a bit heavier, but, still the rating is for HP, and 15 is 15
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCK View Post

I wasn't referring to the HP but was thinking more about the weight on the stern. My bad, sorry for the confusion. Rick.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I need to clear up something. As stated in my first post, my Lund is rated for up to 15 hp. It's not rated for a 20, and it's not rated for a 25, nor is it rated for a 30. The plate on the boat states maximum 15 hp and a 15 hp is exactly what I will buy.

My question is which brand of outboard is the best? Is a Merc as good as a Honda? Is Yamaha the best? I'm not on a budget so I'm more than willing to spend the extra $$$ for a superior product. And, I do want a 4 stroke.

Thanks, guys.

Bobby B.
Last summer I got new Lund 14' Fury prepackaged with 25 Mercury and it runs perfect (at that time Mercury gave out extra 2 years of warranty at no charge).

I personally would go with Honda unless you get similar incentive with Mercury.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Gotta watch out with any 4 stroke if you plan to lay them down in the back of a bed on a pick-up or similar while traveling? Oil can leak out of the crank case causing a ton of issues and a mess.
Only if you lay them on the wrong side. They are marked as to how to lay them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
You need a boat license for any size motor in gas or electric now.
"Operator's" license, yes.

Vessle "Registration" (federal and free) required for over 9.9HP.

And to add, most of the 15HP 4 strokes I looked at were identical in weight and dimension as a 20HP. Seems to be carburator difference only, FYI.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Gotta watch out with any 4 stroke if you plan to lay them down in the back of a bed on a pick-up or similar while traveling? Oil can leak out of the crank case causing a ton of issues and a mess.

2-Stroke Evinrude/Johnston from the early 70’s onward are pretty much bullet proof as long as they haven’t been purposely abused. I have a mid-70’s Johnston 15HP and also a 9.9HP. Only had to replace the water pump once on the 9.9HP from when my old man bought it brand new back in 70’s. It has many many many hours on it and still runs like its new. Use new fuel, good quality oil, and swap out new spark plugs every 2-3 years and you’re golden. Starts every spring, can idle down to a crawl, no issues in cold weather, and only weighs about 75lbs. That would be my recommendation.

Always try to go to the maximum HP rating.

FYI, BRP doesn't make an portable E-Tech Evinrude in any size (9.9HP, 15HP, 20HP, etc.). I believe BRP now offer's portables but they are not E-Tech's.
BRP has switched over to Tohatsu like everybody else for the portable four strokes. Can you even but a new portable 2 stroke anymore?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM

dahhhh buy a honda then ....
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Just answer some basic questions for yourself, which should steer you in the right direction:

Do you want to be safe on the water?

Yes...stick to the max HP rating of the boat.
No...have at 'er. Might as well put a 250 on and really get some serious speed.

Do you have a budget?

Yes...look for a used unit on Kijiji or such. Older 2 strokes like Mercs, Mariners, 'Rudes and Johnson's are great value. They are NOT crap, and provide reliable service if treated properly.
No...buy the newest, shiney-est motor on the market. Lots to choose from. The new Yammis and Hondas are beautys. Mercs and 'Rudes are no slouches either. Comes down to service at that point. What's the dealer offering? Buying new should come with something...everything can be negotiated.

Is weight a concern for you?

Yes, getting older and having trouble lifting...go for a 2 stroke. They are lighter, easier to handle (lift) as a result.
No, I'm a beast of a man...4 strokes are heavier, but are quieter and cleaner.

Are you interested in a better "hole shot" (take off speed)?

Yes...2 strokes have better hole shots, plus because they are lighter, tend to be a little quicker over the long run (same HP rating).
No...4 strokes aren't as quick out of the gate, and are a bit heavier. They are however MUCH quieter and cleaner in general.

Are you sick of that "burnt oil smell" associated with outboards when the wind shifts?

Yes...buy a 4 stroke. No mixing of oil. No burning of oil. Clean clean clean. Never have to worry about mix ratios, did I put oil in? Nothing coated in grime at the end of the season.
No...2 strokes are fine.

If it was me...and if I would do it all over again (currently own my share of motors, new and old)...I would lean towards the following:

Used...look for newer (mid 2000) well maintained on kijiji.
2 stroke...lighter, can deal with smell, bullet proof, not really any noisier than 4 stroke.
Yammi...just a personal preference, own many Mercs and such now.

I love the 4 strokes, but they are heavier, more expensive, harder to fix (more complicated), and don't provide the upside that comes with all the above. They do troll nice, BUT so do 2 strokes.

Ask 10 guys and get 10 different opinions.
Those are mine.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM

If you run Amsoil synthetic in your two stroke they smell pretty...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icallwalleyepickerel View Post
Just answer some basic questions for yourself, which should steer you in the right direction:

Do you want to be safe on the water?

Yes...stick to the max HP rating of the boat.
No...have at 'er. Might as well put a 250 on and really get some serious speed.

Do you have a budget?

Yes...look for a used unit on Kijiji or such. Older 2 strokes like Mercs, Mariners, 'Rudes and Johnson's are great value. They are NOT crap, and provide reliable service if treated properly.
No...buy the newest, shiney-est motor on the market. Lots to choose from. The new Yammis and Hondas are beautys. Mercs and 'Rudes are no slouches either. Comes down to service at that point. What's the dealer offering? Buying new should come with something...everything can be negotiated.

Is weight a concern for you?

Yes, getting older and having trouble lifting...go for a 2 stroke. They are lighter, easier to handle (lift) as a result.
No, I'm a beast of a man...4 strokes are heavier, but are quieter and cleaner.

Are you interested in a better "hole shot" (take off speed)?

Yes...2 strokes have better hole shots, plus because they are lighter, tend to be a little quicker over the long run (same HP rating).
No...4 strokes aren't as quick out of the gate, and are a bit heavier. They are however MUCH quieter and cleaner in general.

Are you sick of that "burnt oil smell" associated with outboards when the wind shifts?

Yes...buy a 4 stroke. No mixing of oil. No burning of oil. Clean clean clean. Never have to worry about mix ratios, did I put oil in? Nothing coated in grime at the end of the season.
No...2 strokes are fine.

If it was me...and if I would do it all over again (currently own my share of motors, new and old)...I would lean towards the following:

Used...look for newer (mid 2000) well maintained on kijiji.
2 stroke...lighter, can deal with smell, bullet proof, not really any noisier than 4 stroke.
Yammi...just a personal preference, own many Mercs and such now.

I love the 4 strokes, but they are heavier, more expensive, harder to fix (more complicated), and don't provide the upside that comes with all the above. They do troll nice, BUT so do 2 strokes.

Ask 10 guys and get 10 different opinions.
Those are mine.

x2 - great analysis Icallwalleyepickeral. Doesn't get any simpler than this
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM

dahhhhhh Honda
Old 05-03-2013, 06:57 PM

After working at a fishing lodge for 7 years and using a few different motors, I have a few observations based on what I have used out there, fishing almost every day for 110 days

Honda 4 stroke - dependable, not many break downs but slower top speeds.
Mercury 4 stroke - stall alot, some issues with the EFI and total dogs in the wind.
Evinrude 2 stroke - Great out of the hole and higher top speeds. But a lot of break downs.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM

I have a 2005 25hp Merc electric start with steering on my 14.6ft prince craft, always had Merc and have always been good.

Having said that, I basically own everything in Honda, from vehicles, mowers, weed trimmers, tillers, quad, you name it. Honda all the way, trying to find a replacement bigger motor for my boat as its rated for 40hp in Honda. Just cant say enough good things about it, my search continues lol
Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Evinrude E-Tec all the way, in whatever size is the max rating for your boat...
Smallest e-tec is a 25 hp.
And it's a real light weight at 146 lbs
Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for your comments guys. I'm off to look at outboards this afternoon. I'm leaning towards the Honda.

Bobby B.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Just went thru this with a new 12ft'er.
Ending up buying a 15 merc 4 stroke. Seems the best value at $2500 for a new 2013.
I've always leaned towards Japanese stuff for O/B's, especially back in the 90's when they were way ahead of the N. American stuff as far as technology.
Seems the domestic stuff has closed the gap alot in recent years.

Noticed my merc is built in Japan though
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 AM

I got a Tohatso and it's been great. They get rebranded and are the Nissan outboards.

Best priced motors in Edmonton.

See ya
Ace
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM

My family has a 15 hp Honda at our cottage. Its such a great and reliable unit. Its about 8 years old and has never had any issues. One year we didnt run the fuel out of the engine before storing which caused us some grief the following year.

When the engine was first purchased we thoght we were having issues getting it started until we realised that the engine was simply whisper quiet at idle. Also, I turned the slow idle way down as low as she can go without stalling and she trolls at 1.5 mph. A drift sock would get you down even further, but thats the slowest I can make her go without stalling, and even at that she needs to be warmed up quite well!

Hope this helps!