Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Default A noob and his boat

As always I appreciate all of the opinions and help that I get from you guys on AO. I am getting really pumped about getting in the water this year and outfitting my boat the way I think I'll like it.

What I would like to know is what lake (within 45-60 minutes of Edmonton) would be a good trial run for me. I am thinking about an easy, not too busy launch, no underwater hazards, etc. While I am good with a trailer, I have never launched a boat before and I have never run up my boat yet. Just looking for an easy, calm lake that I can give the boat and myself a shakedown. I'm thinking Wizard during the week should be ok. Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM

wizard will be all good during the week not on weekends tho dont forget to pay for parking they are nazis lol and dont try wab lol that line up gets crazy and if your not in and out at the launch its embarrasing lol trust me ya got an audience lol
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM

took mine to devils lake last spring there was deff no line up like at wab lol. an never be emberasd cause you never unloaded a boat before.i remember a guy givn me the gears few years back was my first time tryn to unload behind a motor home lol then when it was his turn he went in to far an got stuck jaming up the whole line lol. he askd if i could pull him out lol said motorhome not a good tow vehical. no one helpd the ass he ended calln a tow truck
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogg02 View Post
took mine to devils lake last spring there was deff no line up like at wab lol. an never be emberasd cause you never unloaded a boat before.i remember a guy givn me the gears few years back was my first time tryn to unload behind a motor home lol then when it was his turn he went in to far an got stuck jaming up the whole line lol. he askd if i could pull him out lol said motorhome not a good tow vehical. no one helpd the ass he ended calln a tow truck
Where is Devil's Lake?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Halfoon Lake could be good too. Should be pretty quiet right now.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM

all lakes are pretty quiet and usually calm at 7 am
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
Halfoon Lake could be good too. Should be pretty quiet right now.
Yeah, Halfmoon. I forgot about that little slough. It's only 10 minutes from my house.

Isn't it quite shallow though?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
Yeah, Halfmoon. I forgot about that little slough. It's only 10 minutes from my house.

Isn't it quite shallow though?
I thought Half Moon had no public access. Heck a couple years ago I drove through the camp site to see what is was like and was run down and stop in minutes by staff and asked to leave.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 PM

devils lake is just off hiway37 east of onaway