Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM

Default rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Looks good, Peter. Are you going to put your rats in for the February auction? I put mine in for the January auction and the price predictions are not very encouraging.
ya sending in for next sale, January 19,is last receiving day
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Nice work on the fur Peter.
I just boarded my lynx today and fisher. Can't wait to get them turned and dry
congrats on your first's Phil,i can tell you and your family are loving it all,keep up good work,Cheers Peter
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
I already tried that Nube , I forget which one I used , but it was a canine with skunk scent ..... Nothing ! Only a set of deer tracks went thru , happy to see the bad worked . Gonna keep trying ........ thanks for the advice
Maybe try and find a creek bottom and snare them as they come up off the creek. Beaver runs are good places. I also have plans for next year to buy a few rams. I want to run a few trails through the cat tails on a slough and put snares on them. I ran my skidoo through some cat tails like that onto a big slough a few weeks ago and it is a heavily used coyote path now. I actually caught one on it yesterday. I think rams would work well because you wouldn't have to tie them down very good like a snare and usually there is nothing out there to tie to other than cat tails.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Maybe try and find a creek bottom and snare them as they come up off the creek. Beaver runs are good places. I also have plans for next year to buy a few rams. I want to run a few trails through the cat tails on a slough and put snares on them. I ran my skidoo through some cat tails like that onto a big slough a few weeks ago and it is a heavily used coyote path now. I actually caught one on it yesterday. I think rams would work well because you wouldn't have to tie them down very good like a snare and usually there is nothing out there to tie to other than cat tails.
Just a thought,how about placing anchor before freeze up,for instance a cinder block with your anchor cable attached to it,put in place where your expexting to create trail later on then have anchor wire attached to marker stick so you can find later,once froze in,instant anchor IMO,CHEERS Peter
Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Yup that works as well. I just thought Rams was the answer because my wife says I need more trapping gear lol
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Would be easy to use a cordless drill and make a quick hole to drop an anchor thru and set. 3/4 inch hole would be frozen within a few hours
Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM

i've had no problem with super stakes on a few locations on a creek. need a jack-all to pull them.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 PM

Would a chunk of rebar with chain links welded to the sides pounded in a cattail hole work. I would guess you'd want the rebar into the bottom floor of the slough. But most of my sloughs are shallow. Then anchor to the chain link. Your thoughts?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM

Nice furs Peter , well done .
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Maybe Nube when your chasing rats in the fall , just stick a Rebar with a cross piece into the swamp so you'll have a couple feet sticking out when it freezes , then you'll have both an anchor and a support. Drive your skidoo thru the reeds just beside and your laughing
Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Picked up this nice wolf today but the other wolves wanted it more than me.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM

That too bad Scottymac !!! How long was it there for ? Was it the same pack or another that came through ?
This is one of the things I worry about with snares on my line
Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 PM

It was a small group traveling together. Thinking it was snared last night as it was not even close to being froze? Might have even scared them off when I showed up this morning.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
It was a small group traveling together. Thinking it was snared last night as it was not even close to being froze? Might have even scared them off when I showed up this morning.
When you're hungry, you're hungry I guess lol
Old 01-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Nice looking wolf, would still make a good shoulder mount. I had one with a badly bitten hind last year. Was not worth skinning, but I can't wait to get the shoulder mount back!

Spruce
Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM

I just lost 2 cats yesterday the same way. I must have some pockets with massive cat numbers because I loose about %50 like this. I have multiple snares out as well. It really ticks me off. Wish I could figure some way to stop it.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Try a lift up snare pen maybe. Where a counter wt lifts the cat off the ground! Just heading out for a line check now!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

Went for a check on my snares today , all are now set on trails and likely spots to travel since I'm outta bait . Which has been a lot of fun and a good challenge to try to make work ! As I have about 2ft of snow , it's a labor of love going around d my quarter , it's all on snow shoes , too many guys on sleds around here , if I go around my field , they will as well ! Since I don't like that idea .... I walk ! The circuit takes me for about 2 km walk ! I connected with 2 along. A trail that separates the 2 fields and where an a cross fence comes in . Sure wish I had brought the sled, packing 2 was a good work out ! Sorry no pics , the phone didn't like the cold today ! Love it when your hard work pays off !!!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I just lost 2 cats yesterday the same way. I must have some pockets with massive cat numbers because I loose about %50 like this. I have multiple snares out as well. It really ticks me off. Wish I could figure some way to stop it.
Going to have to start making those tip up sets like Andrew from the wild North. That will keep them safe
Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM

I have been wanting to build a tip up for a few years now but never get around to it. Always pressed for time.
It would be the way to go where u had lots of Lynx traffic.

If a guy designed it right, it might even work to tip up a wolverine in a 1/16" snare....
Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Check back in wild north videos. He caught a wolverine just like that either last year or the one prior! I would like to build a few of them as well but as you say time is limited

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Default trappers 2014/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Went for a check on my snares today , all are now set on trails and likely spots to travel since I'm outta bait . Which has been a lot of fun and a good challenge to try to make work ! As I have about 2ft of snow , it's a labor of love going around d my quarter , it's all on snow shoes , too many guys on sleds around here , if I go around my field , they will as well ! Since I don't like that idea .... I walk ! The circuit takes me for about 2 km walk ! I connected with 2 along. A trail that separates the 2 fields and where an a cross fence comes in . Sure wish I had brought the sled, packing 2 was a good work out ! Sorry no pics , the phone didn't like the cold today ! Love it when your hard work pays off !!!
I do it the same way. Many nights after work on snowshoes, with a headlamp on. It's all for the love of the sport. I drag a calf sled with me, and you're right, 2 or 3 big dogs is a good workout. Usually pretty happy to get back to the truck.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Picked up three nice cats today. The first came on my trail headed into a lynx cubby set, a second at the same location in a snare set around the cubby, and a third at a snare pen set.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
Picked up three nice cats today. The first came on my trail headed into a lynx cubby set, a second at the same location in a snare set around the cubby, and a third at a snare pen set.

I use the same snare setup you have in the first pic with the #nine wire swivel. I find I can only reuse the #nine twice
Lost 9 coyotes in the last 10 days. Wire gets weak after the second one
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM

Gotta love a triple. Nice work.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Awesome work scottymac !!! nice looking cats
Old 01-13-2015, 10:09 PM

Sweet!!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 PM

Default south end of north bound coon

A couple months ago I got a PM from a fellow AO member asking if I could get a beaver for him , no problem had 2 in a short time . Last night I get another PM , same member asking about the possibilty of a coon or 2 .. guess what ? this critter is hanging in the snare this morning ! . Sure hope he doesn't jokingly ask for a Grizzly bear next LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4171.jpg (86.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4172.jpg (78.8 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 PM

lol Love it!!! Good show H380. Looks like a big coon as well. I have never seen one and still amazed they exist out there. Kinda like a sasquatch to me
Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
A couple months ago I got a PM from a fellow AO member asking if I could get a beaver for him , no problem had 2 in a short time . Last night I get another PM , same member asking about the possibilty of a coon or 2 .. guess what ? this critter is hanging in the snare this morning ! . Sure hope he doesn't jokingly ask for a Grizzly bear next LOL
Can you catch GRIZZZ lol,coon looks pefect