Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Love your LUND!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Default Naden or Lund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmitton View Post
Hey all. Im new to the forum and the reason i found it was because i did a google search for " naden boats for sale".

So i saw your post on the Nadens and I have lots of experience with them.
One poster on this thread said he used them at a fishing camp. yes, they are used at fishing camps all across the country. (I'm sure there are other brands used at fishing camps too).

My family bought an old fishing camp in North Western ontario in 1980. It was a dive when we bought it and, we just meet there as a family in the summers (as in we don't run it commercially). Anyway, there is another camp right beside us that has been operating since the 20's, and they only use Naden Boats. We asked in '80 my dad asked why and he said because they are low price and tough as nails and my renters beat the heck out of them. While our use was not commercial, we figured we'd go ahead and find one used. so we did, and Im proud to say that 18 years later, this boat (that was a few years old when we got it) is still in operation, with no leaks. the boats are riveted, not welded.

Our lake is located in the Canadian Shield (not far from where the boats are made, which is Vermillion Bay, Ontario) and we now own 3 of them. They are all 16 foot, and red. many of the 'camp' boats are blue or green. I can tell you from personal experience, these boats are indestructable, and they can be dragged up on the rock outcrops, run up on beaches, and they withstand everything.

I am now 32 and Im looking to add another 16 footer to our families 'fleet' (we have about 14 boats total, 4 of them are tiller fishing boats, and all 3 of 4 are 16 foot nadens.). I thought I'd do a little research into the boats to see if there was something better (seeing as it's me and my wifes money now not my dads money...you know I'm going to research it right?). What I found was that Nadens are actually thicker aluminum, and they use harder alumnum than the same boat in the lund. www.nadenboats.ca Check out the thickness, and the hardness vs a lund. (not sure about lunds bigger boats, they probably use thicker and harder grades for the bigger boats). Also I looked at Alumarines, they are also canadian boats, very bombproof, heavy as hell, and I have been told they are welded. I didn't want a welded boat because if the weld ever cracks it has to be taken to a welder to fix it, whereas if a rivet goes or starts to leak i can just turn the boat over and my brother and tap it from both sides and close the gap. we have done this with our 1975 12 foot starcraft.

Anyway, I know this is waaaaaay more info that you wanted, but thought I'd give you an experience based opinion. I'm looking to buy a used 16 foot naden if you know anybody with one for sale. i already have a motor. cheers.

Ryan.
Hello My dad in Ear Falls is looking at a 14 foot Naden.. he has a 14 foor Lund right now but it is starting to leak and is alittle narrow.. Any suggestions would be helpfull.. ty
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM

My 2 cents...Take the advice of many from this thread. If you're heckbent on getting a 14 foot aluminum, get the one you want but stay off the ocean.

I have a 14 foot Brunswick. Very stable for a 14 footer. I used to take it out on the ocean thinking that as long as I was careful, I would be okay. One day as I was coming back to camp I took a wave 3/4 from behind. The boat filled up almost to the gunwhales in a heartbeat. We managed to get to camp, albeit a little wet. The kicker were my passangers...my elderly uncle and my 6 year old son, who wouldn't have made it to shore as easily as I could have (regardless of life jackets, which everyone was wearing).

After we got home, I bought a Zodiac and have never looked back.

The aluminum is great for Alberta lakes.
The blowup is for the chuck.
Never shall the aluminum taste salt water again.

fm.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcrae View Post
i was just looking at Naden boats sold out of edmonton, 160lbs and 14' in length, does anyone know about these. They also seem very reasonably priced for a new boat, $1500 for a 12', waiting for a price on the 14'. If anyone has heard about these please let me know, thanks,
Mike
I own a 14foot Naden and just love it! I bought it new last year c/w a 20 HP merc. Really moves and this thing is built to last! I used it on some rough water and it performed incredibly well, I highly recommend it!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
I don't think they (Naden boats) are not as durable as Lund or Alumarine the reason they are only 160lbs is because of thin aluminum .If you don't over power , take it easy in the waves and be gentle with it it should be O.K. IMHO Naden boat is for occasional fisherman .
Check your stats my Naden is a 14 foot and weighs 245 lbs with heavier gauge walls than the Lund! This one is built strong and you sure don't need to take it easy in the waves.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 PM

on the east coast nobody uses aluminum boats on the ocean ,,,,its fiberglass or wood.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Hey Mike i have been in a Naden 14 ft and enjoyed it nice boat this year it was a deep v and it was great .. lots of room and for a family of 4 it would be great.. i have a Misty River 14 ft and i love it i have had 4 people in it lots and it pushes nice .

on the ocean not happening with a 14 ft for me .on the wrong day ur dead sorry

David,, BC boy
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I would think that any Aluminum boat would do fine on calm lake water.

I can only speak to what I have experienced so there may be other makes as good or better then the ones I'm familiar with. That being said, I've been impressed most with Lund and Harbor Craft, Misty River and Sears seem to stand up well but are lighter and so not quite as durable. Fine boats none the less.

Some of the real light makes are easily dented and some have problems with rivets coming loose, but they too offer some benefits. Light weight for one. Low cost for another.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out fiberglass. It's quieter and often cheaper.
It's not the best choice for river running but it's fine on lakes.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Sorry for repeating what everyone else is saying, but do not take a small aluminum boat on the ocean. The water can seem very calm (slack tide) with no issues one second and waves crashing the next.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Opps, I missed the part about going offshore.

I would agree with the others. Don't do it.

My grandpa was a Nova Scotia fisherman. They did go out in what they called small boats, or more accurately Dories. They were made for the ocean. Very different design then our fresh water craft, still a lot of men that went out in them never returned.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Best Boat

I have owned a 16' Naden for 8 years. It has been a great boat and handles exceptionally in rough water.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 PM

i had a 12ft tracker john boat last year, it was good. My dad had it in the box of his truck and backed it into a tree in B.C. and the front end was fubar but it still held my dad and i and fishing gear no problem

Tags
aluminum, boat, fish, high side