Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default Trappers Black eye

Once again Alberta Trappers have received a blow concerning trapping methods .
A Mr Dwight Rodtka has emerged from the melting snow to sow exagerations and untruths about trappers.
The fact there are by -catches is a given when you trap anywhere . It,s not nuclear science and to be truthful ONLY trappers are responsible for developing better methods of capturing fur bearers! NOT Peta, or animal welfare groups ! Those provide the noise that motivates us, !! There is nothing funnier than to see someone shoot themselves in the foot!!
As far as setting 200 snares around a bait pile ? Good luck retrieving them all! Pure hog wash .could it be that his inexperience has relegated him to only be successful; by this method?
Again Who knows ?
Mr Rodtka has used the media to his advantage and their ignorance to spread this twisted information !
No checks on his qualifications ? Just head down ass up media hype!
Has he taken on the wind farms for the thousands of dead birds killed in the propellers of such?
NO ! Has he taken the large cities to task for building high rises of glass that birds crash into in storms? NO
Has he even bothered to phone Alberta Highways to get a count of wildlife hits and deaths every day? NO
For all the ragers coming out of the dark over this , have any of them ever questioned their speed on roads ALSO crossed by wildlife and left to die! NO
Rotdka,s aggression stems from a story He at one time captured Two wolves , for money of course because they were not bothering him otherwise .
He then tried to claim the bounty a fair sum at the time and now , that was being paid by ATA .IF YOU WERE A MEMBER ,
Now not being a member he was refused ! fair enough ? NO WAY !
So unhappy camper goes to court and WINS including court cost!!
Now you guessed it HE SNARED them! So there you see he does not mind using these abominable devices for himself regardless of the consequences to the big bad wolf! ! sound like hypocrisy? Does he mention that this is what drives him? NO .He had no qualms about doing control for pay and now that it,s over ???
Did he mention that now that he is done this work he owns many traps paid for by the municipality , he claims as his ? How will he get rid of them ? For money ? Or will he dispose of them in a wrecker yard? What,s his answer on this?
To the media this is just good fuel and job security ! Their ignorance is shown by the fact they accept all what he says as gospel .
The average Albertan does not know , does not care , and would not make a minimum of an effort to find the true facts, Because it involves wildlife , the majority of their knowledge gleaned from Walt Disney, David Susuki , etc.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Parfleche, well written article about a raving maniac. Well done, we need more people with wisdom on AO.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big grey wolf View Post
parfleche, well written article about a raving lunatic . Well done, we need more people with wisdom on ao.
😉
Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 AM

I just hit the like Button
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 AM
Banned

Some good points and background there Par.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:12 PM

Good post, good info on this guy. I hope your association puts out a similar rebuttal stating what was posted here and see what this Dwight guy has to say then. Damn new people, jump on the wagon just for the story without any research.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Good post, good info on this guy. I hope your association puts out a similar rebuttal stating what was posted here and see what this Dwight guy has to say then. Damn new people, jump on the wagon just for the story without any research.
x2

BW
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM

Touch a nerve Dwight lol Tell us how you really feel. Got any links to your actual work or should we take your word for it again....
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Oldcoyote

You were doing well until mid way thru, then you started with the name calling and personal attacks on trappers. At that point you lost all credibility and began to sound just like another anti trapper, you tried but it didn't work very well.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote View Post
Greetings Parfleche. I am one of those "ignorant" media types you refer to in your comments. Rest assured, I am very well versed in these issues. No, I have never been influenced by Walt Disney's past performance in convincing children animals are people dressed in animal clothing. Nor do I believe that deer, such as Bambi, talk when no humans are around. I have for several years in my writings condemned Walt Disney productions for instilling in our children what I call "The Bambi Syndrome." Wild creatures are exactly that. As well, I live in the country and most certainly adjust my speeds according to the rutting season. Ya, I even know when buck deer lose all sense of reality during that time of the year and have only one thing on their mind - a hot doe. I've had bucks run into the side of my truck. That's just a fact of life for those keenly tuned into the behaviour of our wild creatures. I take offence to your comments about people being influenced by the likes of David Suzuki. As a journalist/outdoor writer/outdoor photographer/outdoor videographer my work has been aired on the Nature of Things as well as the PBS Nature Channel in the U.S. I understand what's going on out in the woods, probably more than you because that's where I spend most of my time researching, watching and filming. I'm not a city kid, anything but. I am well educated by schooling and experience. Do you have your Grade 12 education yet? I'm betting you don't, judging my your flying-off-the-handle remarks aimed at Mr. Rodtka. I feel obligated to tell you that you are walking on thin ice with some of those remarks - coming dangerously close to libel and defamation of character, which can be resolved in a civil litigation process. Can you say "sued". My point is by flapping off at the gums you are achieve nothing in your arguments. All I see is anger. There are two sides to every story, and the ATA should step in with a well-thought-out and educated presentation to get their message across, backed up by scientific studies and government reports. There's not room for "well, it's a well-known fact because I have been in the bush for years." This snaring issue must be resolved for certain. But when certain people spouting off like a bunch of in-bred, brain-challenged drunken hunters or trappers,", those people are merely shouting down the credibility of an argument that should take place with diplomacy, and cooler heads. There's no room in this debate for the mind-set of: "Well, oh ya. My dad can beat up your dad."
Nice first post!! No doubt that there are journalists such as yourself that are concerned with wildlife and nature! Just as there is
No doubt that typical reporter are not such people. Can you assure us that all reporters always fact check before their rhetoric is printed for the blind public to read? Can you assure us that the majority of the the news that is printed is not politically left biased. From your small self biography you just offered, before you resorted to high school belittle attempt, I would consider you a journalist, not a reporter. Maybe that is a subtle difference and perhaps only my perception. But a lot of what the op stated ( perhaps not professionally) could quite possibly be fact. I do not know, nor do you. But you chose to bring yourself to his level with your grade 12 comment so how does that make you better? If your are a reporter, then by all means report the truth! Do the investigative reporting in a non biased manner! Vilify all avenues of animal killings that are not target catches! Maybe with your credentials we will not have to see numerous raptors killed by the proposed wind turbines, that contribute way more deaths to raptors and many other birds and flying mammals! Also please post a link to some of your published works as I like reading about nature and wildlife!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-11-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Touch a nerve Dwight lol Tell us how you really feel. Got any links to your actual work or should we take your word for it again....
x2 .. sound familiar ?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
x2 .. sound familiar ?
Or it could be that so called Biologist that "co-authored" the famous "paper on snaring." That guy got his Doctorate in a Corn Flakes Box.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Banned

old coyote , You are a pityfull type are you not ? Well educated according to you , and good at name calling !
I must have hit a nerve? Oh you are qualified alright , You have been to hell and back , been there done that . another legend in his own mind . You let your anger get the best of you considering ALL that education you profess to have! Without a camera this fellow is called an onlooker LOL
Lots of questions and no answers to the problem !
I speak and write three languages , CAN YOU?
As far as being inbred , and drunk , and uneducated !! and knowing all this ,would you refuse my help in a time of need when you are in your so called wilderness mode?
Its easy to forgive a person such as yourself , Because you lower yourself to the level of what you profess to hate !
The old saying of It,s better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak up and be found a fool ! Your opinion is just that , Nothing else!
God bless you and if you come up with a solution WE are all ears!
By the way I still think you are ignorant of the issue!
Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

Yes Sir, you are right about the post above it was very wrong and yes I will accept the apology!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:38 PM

When you are new to a forum and start to pontificate to the "experienced" and "educated" hunters, trappers and outdoorsmen/women that call this little place home. Then shower everyone with your "credentials" and "vast knowledge" of the outdoors all the while questioning those who grew up from the time they could walk in the outdoors and who appreciate the "wilds" more than you know....it's simply just bad form.

It is customary to introduce and share BEFORE you criticize, just a suggestion for the future.

For the record I also feel David Suzuki is very self serving and phoney, but that's an opinion.

Welcome.

LC
Old 03-11-2016, 09:07 PM
AO Sponsor

David Suzuki exposed...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/27...-australian-tv
Old 03-11-2016, 10:12 PM

You will have a hard time telling farmers, foresters,miners who lost 1000's of acres to the wonderful beaver that they are anything but a rodent.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:04 PM

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...d-for-trappers

Now here is a refreshing piece and some decent comments as well
Old 03-11-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I'll admit to still being a little suspicious of your intentions here old coyote. Have you been lurking here before? The timing of your arrival seems odd.
I find it interesting that she says she has had so much time with a father that hunts and fishes yet wants to destroy trapping at the same time. She claims to understands and been a part of hunting and gathering but seems to want to help in shutting it down.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:24 AM

The sheer number of wolves has increased drastically since I started hunting here in Alberta when I first moved out here with the military, that cannot be denied. The only thing that controls wolf populations is man and starvation/disease! There are places in the province that used to be abundant with umgulates and now hold very few! Sure we hunters are part of that equation as with the oil boom the population of hunter also boomed! But predators need to controlled! They have always been seen as " the big bad wolf" and have earned that reputation! Yes, they are a majestic looking animal that has all the anti's saying " awe the poor puppies ". But they need to be controlled!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-12-2016, 01:09 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ersy-1.3485457
Old 03-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Banned

Damned if we do and damned if we don,t! Now what would be your suggestions on how to manage wolves ?
Something reasonable? Effective ? Guaranteed to work ?
Lets hear it , According to all these so called experts that carry large cameras into the WILDS ??? and get paid well for stating their opinions as if it was gospel .
Regards to wolf control :
Lets hear what type of device you suggest?
What time of year?
What areas of the country?
How would you eliminate by-catch?
Also be selective of the ones you want taken .
And considering the GRAVE danger the public is open to.
Would you sit and watch your control devices at work as you do filming them ? just to make sure they are hitting the intended target?
Would you use restraining devices IE; padded jaw traps ?
Restraining snares only ? Drugs?
Then assuming you do capture one , What then?
How would you handle the media?
considering all the talk from so called authorities and anti trappers, I have yet to hear what the solution could be ?
OR would letting nature take its course and accept the consequences as they unfold ?
Unfortunately Trappers and hunters are suckers for taking the blame for all problems related to wild life,
Why is it that NOTHING is mentioned of the thousands of road killed wildlife, in our province ? Where are the haters then?
Take a national park for instance
No hunting!
No trapping !
Most times only a few miles in breadth ,
Or a few minutes in crossing time, Perhaps an hour or so
WHY is it ALL vehicles regardless of the reason other than emergency vehicles are not slowed to the speeds of school zones ?
For the protection of the animals therein ?
Animals are like children , they don,t understand the danger!
WE have to think for them! The parks are their SAFE haven ,
Yet humans speed through as if everything knew they were coming through!
What is your solution to this situation?
Speed cameras every so many miles ? This is your chance to give us the scoop we have all been waiting for ! Have at her!

Last edited by parfleche; 03-12-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Another article so full of BS. Oldcoyote you really have no idea!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 AM

That got cleaned up fast! Old Coyote I thought was a lady? And not "dude looks like a lady" Dwight.

LC
Old 03-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That got cleaned up fast! Old Coyote I thought was a lady? And not "dude looks like a lady" Dwight.

LC
Not all that fast. There were multiple mods on this morning. Thanks pixel shooter.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:22 AM

My posts ended up as collateral damage, but I'm okay with that-not that it would matter if I wasn't , mind you!
Thanks Mods!
Cat
Old 03-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...d-for-trappers

Now here is a refreshing piece and some decent comments as well
ya the lynx picture shows another reason why snares can be bad kind of proves what was said in the article in the paper that they are not all caught on the neck and killed immediately.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
ya the lynx picture shows another reason why snares can be bad kind of proves what was said in the article in the paper that they are not all caught on the neck and killed immediately.
Do you hunt? Shots can be bad too. If you hunt, how would you feel about someone going on and on about the ethics of hunting?
Old 03-12-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Can you think of anything that's works perfectly every time? Trappers are striving to improve methods continuously, you should know that.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:10 PM

I don't think Sage hunts guys. All he talks about is gun stuff so I think he just shoots a lot is all. He may not have too much experience with the hunting stuff so it might be hard for him to understand.....