Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 03:35 AM

Default 14 foot Fishing Machine?

Looking at downsizing to a highly portable quick attack unit.

Something bare bones that can be pounded down a gravel road then dragged by a couple guys to the water. A boat that could wheel into the launch and handle a mid sized lake in fair conditions without an issue.

The Lund SSV14 specs seem to beat all others with beam width, bow depth, amidship depth and transom height.

What are the opinions putting a 20hp on a 14’? Then trying to push 3 fisherman and light gear around the lake? Seems like a 30hp motor would be unmanageable (weight wise) to separate from the boat at the lake. Also get into electric start at that point and I don’t want the extra battery.

Any experience with the 14’ tinners?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 AM
Banned

Maybe try to find a really good condition used two stroke 25. The 25 Merc I ran on a 15’ before I moved up to a big boat for big waters only weighed 15 pounds more (114lbs) than a 4 stroke 9.9 (99 lbs) and 60 lbs less than a 25 4 stroke (174 lbs) and would run on plane with 3 of us with little effort. Weight was the same as the 20 but the extra 5hp was very noticeable.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 AM

I have a SSV16 with a 25 hp 4 stroke on it that can get up on step with three people. I even pulled an adult wakeboarder behind it just to say that we did. It’s a manual start, so no battery. I actually wish it had one as it would be easier to put a decent finder in it.

Edmonton Boat Show is coming up next month. It might be a good chance to take a look at a few different makes and models in person.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-12-2018, 06:55 AM

I had exactly a setup like that many years ago. Pretty much fished anywhere I wanted to launch the boat. I had a 20 merc on the back and moved quite well even with me the wife and 4 kids going down the lake. That was the days before 4 strokes everywhere so weight wasn't too bad but keep in mind a 20 or 25 4 stroke is pretty heavy. I would see if you can find a lightly used 2 stroke if you can.
If I do my boat thing over again I will probably go back this route so I am more portable. My 16.5 ft fiberglass is great on the southern waters when rough but really limits where I can take it. I do fish some smaller reservoirs that I cannot launch after early season and the waters go down in the reservoirs. The right 14 foot like I used to have would suffice for most places I fish. For those crazy weather days just don't be on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post

Something bare bones that can be pounded down a gravel road then dragged by a couple guys to the water. A boat that could wheel into the launch and handle a mid sized lake in fair conditions without an issue.

The Lund SSV14 specs seem to beat all others with beam width, bow depth, amidship depth and transom height.

What are the opinions putting a 20hp on a 14’? Then trying to push 3 fisherman and light gear around the lake? Seems like a 30hp motor would be unmanageable (weight wise) to separate from the boat at the lake. Also get into electric start at that point and I don’t want the extra battery.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 AM

I have a wc 14 not the SSV but they are quite close in size. I run. 20 hp 4 stroke and it is all the power I need and then some. The current 25-30 hp 4 strokes AND Evenrude 2 strokes are just to heavy and you will have to add weight to the front of the boat if you are alone. They are also prone to porpoising due to the imbalance of weight.

Yamaha has now come out with a light weight engine specific for the 25hp not just a detuned 30. Off the top of my head it is only 10lbs more the the normal 20hp on the market. It is fuel injected and has a idle speed control to be able to slow it down a bit to help trolling speed. My 20 with the idle speed turn down as low as it will go and stock pitch prop is ideal for trolling spoons and crankbaits, the 25 and 30’s usually go to fast.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM

Just sold my SSV 14 with a 25HP 4 Stroke Honda. Ripped rough water, would do 50 KM/H with myself and a buddy and all our gear when things were flat. Never felt unsafe, and was easy to move around. Just upgraded to a 16 foot and the 40HP, looking forward to the extra capability.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 PM

Considering an SSV 16’ with a 30hp as well
Old 02-12-2018, 05:57 PM

14' with a 20hp would be fine. I used to have a 16.5' Rebel with a 40hp Honda and my kid's would ski behind it.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Go half way and get a new 25hp Yamaha. Lighter than most 20hp motors out there. It would be enough. I had a 30hp Yamaha 3-cylinder 2-stroke on a ssv14. It was tons of motor.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Go half way and get a new 25hp Yamaha. Lighter than most 20hp motors out there. It would be enough. I had a 30hp Yamaha 3-cylinder 2-stroke on a ssv14. It was tons of motor.
How did you like your SSV out on the lake?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 AM

More importantly how are you going to move, and where are you going to store said boat? If you are going to trailer it then I wouldn't squeeze into a 14 , a 16 would be my choice it's the same trailer. Make sure you look at

http://alumarineboats.net

B.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Banned

These guys may have the perfect rig for you if you are ok with used?

http://www.exclusiveautomarine.com/p...hp-4stroke-efi
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
How did you like your SSV out on the lake?

It was all I needed but at the time I mostly used it on the ocean. It was better than a 16 footer because it was 2 feet shorter. Going down a big wave it popped back up before the next wave. When I switched to a 16 footer in the same boat the recovery time was not as fast and I’d take water over the b at times. The 16 footer had other benefits though, like more room obviously.

The v Hull was a real improvement over the flat bottomed WC I had before for ride comfort. It was wider and deeper also.

I wasn’t easy on them. The first WC had all the rivets pounded out of it and there were small cracks running into each rivet hole. The hull was replaced on Warranty as even though it could be re-riveted you couldn’t repair the cracks.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 AM

I have the wc 14 same specs for width and transom height but lighter for pulling around.
I'm running the 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke 130 lbs the rig is awesome e lots of power for three no prob and fast.
I also have an automatic boat loader and it's a dream get as close as you can to the lake and drag it the rest of the way.
The Lund ssv and wc are extreamly stable and all you would ever need.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Considering an SSV 16’ with a 30hp as well
Would highly recommend!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
More importantly how are you going to move, and where are you going to store said boat? If you are going to trailer it then I wouldn't squeeze into a 14 , a 16 would be my choice it's the same trailer. Make sure you look at

http://alumarineboats.net

B.

Trailer it. Those Alumas come highly recommended by a couple buddies of mine that guide all summer out of 18’s. To bad the closest dealer is PA sask.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
I have the wc 14 same specs for width and transom height but lighter for pulling around.
I'm running the 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke 130 lbs the rig is awesome e lots of power for three no prob and fast.
I also have an automatic boat loader and it's a dream get as close as you can to the lake and drag it the rest of the way.
The Lund ssv and wc are extreamly stable and all you would ever need.

The SSV and WC are two totally different hulls but actually weigh the same. The WC is longer but narrower than the SSV. The SSV can also take much more water. The bow is much deeper and it has the IPS V hull as opposed to the flat hull of the WC. The beam at the transom is also much narrower on the WC than the SSV. The SSV is also rated for 10 more hp. The WC is actually only rated for 25hp.

To the OP, I’ve had both and there is a big difference in hulls and you will really notice the difference when the water gets rough. I fished both the WC and a SSV on the West Coast of Vancouver Island for many years and the SSV was a definite upgrade. Being a bit shorter didn’t hurt it either. The SSV is like a bobber in big swells and I never took a wave over the bow unlike when I moved up to a 16 footer.

It really comes down to what you want to use if for.

SSV-14:

14' 2"Length
70"Beam Width
55.5"Chine Width
28.5"Amidship Depth
35"Bow Depth
15" or 20"Transom Height
285/295 lbs

WC-14:

BOAT
14' 6"Length
69"Beam Width
26.25"Amidship Depth
28.75"Bow Depth
15" or 20"Transom Height
285/295 lbs
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 PM

Would you fellas recommend the the SSV over the WC for a guy like myself who would be doing a bit of weeknight river fishing (NSR) and on weekends the small to mid size lakes around edmonton? I’m not looking to be a hero and head out when it’s choppy, mostly calm water.

The SSV is about $1200 more new over the WC, is it worth it? I’m looking to keep the boat for at least 10 years, so I’m willing to pay a bit more upfront if it’s worth the money. I’d hate to buy the WC and be wishing I bought the SSV for 10 years lol.

Edit: I’m looking at a 14’ on a trailer. I usually fish with 2 other “ rotund” buddies, so a decent amount of weight in the boat.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 AM

I've got a SSV 14 ft Lund with a 20 HP 4 Stroke Honda. Great boat .
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Would you fellas recommend the the SSV over the WC for a guy like myself who would be doing a bit of weeknight river fishing (NSR) and on weekends the small to mid size lakes around edmonton? I’m not looking to be a hero and head out when it’s choppy, mostly calm water.
I’d go the WC for what you are doing. Same thickness but flatter hull than the SSV.

I used mine beyond what they were ever designed for. Both are great little boats for what they are. When I stepped up to a custom welded aluminum hull the hull alone was 4 times the price and while it was no doubt nicer than the riveted Lund’s it couldn’t do a considerable amount more.

I’ve got a real soft spot for the SSV-14 because I did so much with it and it was reasonably cheap to buy and operate.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Only thing I will add is no matter what boat you choose go with a 20” transom. The extra 5” of height makes a big difference in how safe the boat feels and how much water comes over the back when things get rough.

I’ve had my WC out in 5 footers and it does good. It probably isn’t as good as the SSV and the hull design is old fashion but for the dollar it gets top marks.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 AM

Default 14 foot Fishing Machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post

The SSV is about $1200 more new over the WC, is it worth it? I’m looking to keep the boat for at least 10 years, so I’m willing to pay a bit more upfront if it’s worth the money. I’d hate to buy the WC and be wishing I bought the SSV for 10 years lol.

Edit: I’m looking at a 14’ on a trailer. I usually fish with 2 other “ rotund” buddies, so a decent amount of weight in the boat.

The SSV is slightly wider and will have the IPS hull so it pops up a bit quicker. It also has the full width rear splash pan which the WC does not. Walk through seating for the middle seat also makes it easier to move around the boat. You can get a drop in floor for the SSV. Not sure if that’s an option for the WC.

I guess I’’m saying the differences are more than initially meets the eye.

I’’ll be at the Barry Jays booth talking Lunds at the Edmonton Sportsman show if you want to chat more.

Here’’s my 2001 SSV-16 with a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 PM

Great info here, thanks guys.

Sam, I’ll stop by for a chat at the boat and sportsmen show for sure.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Just picked up a new last years model SSV16 for a good deal. One left if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info boys
Old 03-06-2018, 04:03 PM

It's a tricky call, really. So many factors to be mindful of. You'd be looking for something lighter guage to help with weight. As for motor size, you'll have to essentially figure out what you're comfortable carrying around and then reference that to all the various companies motors.

Cheers, Kyle-Legend Boats
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM

many thanks for this thread....we're kind of on the hunt for the same thing. Doing our research. Either Lund SSV14/16 or Alumacraft Escape 14/16....basically want a boat/motor/trailer for under 10k, and it seems doable with these models (likely pre-owned, but still...).

One question that hasn't really been covered.....tow vehicle. Everyone has V6 bare minimum for one of these boats, right? Even though it's lighter boat, I assume you still need at least a V6 to tow them properly without doing damage to your tow vehicle...
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM

I have the SSV16 in the garage with no motor on it and can easily push it around on the trailer with two fingers.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:35 PM

So you went with the ssv and the bigger 16 foot. You got one of the best “tinners ” out there. Virtually no maintenance, a one time expense, have it for life, type of boat that will always be around when you need it. Enjoy
Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
So you went with the ssv and the bigger 16 foot. You got one of the best “tinners ” out there. Virtually no maintenance, a one time expense, have it for life, type of boat that will always be around when you need it. Enjoy
Thanks. Should I put the new lightweight 25hp yammy or a get a 30hp? I want a pull start.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Just picked up a new last years model SSV16 for a good deal. One left if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info boys
Enjoy! Give us a report on what motor you set it up with and how it runs etc... you picked the same boat I’ve been wanting since I saw an AO thread about 7 years ago where a fellow was fixing up his dads old ssv18.