Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 AM

The law should be changed to protect the general public from errant high power projectiles from adjacent farm land.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
The law should be changed to protect the general public from errant high power projectiles from adjacent farm land.
You are right, no more permission for anyone to hunt on my land.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
I just read an article in the mountain view county gazzette that said that the county's of Rockyview and Mountainview are lobbying the government to end hunting on unmaintained road allowances. It also says that there doesn't seem to be any opposition to this .it won't affect me as I dont usually hunt them but I know many birders do so I just thought I'd inform you all in case anyone cares to get involved. Sorry if this was already posted
I don't mind the bird hunters but the big game hunters seem to talk advantage of this all the time they should close road allowances in big game season
Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I don't mind the bird hunters but the big game hunters seem to talk advantage of this all the time they should close road allowances in big game season
How about with road allowances leading to crown land. I deal with the worst neighbouring land owner ever about using the road allowance to access 1500acres of crown land. He does everything cuts trees down piles berms you name it. But has stands every where back there.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Question Clarification required

This is a bit of a derail, but I have stewed about a term in use here for years.

What the F is a "HIGH POWERED rifle"?

If we all switched to low powered rifles, would a lot of the perceptual difficulties disappear?

Where does one obtain a low powered rifle; is a licence required?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Banned

To continue the derail.

Only if the projectile is under 500 fps?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBadger View Post
This is a bit of a derail, but I have stewed about a term in use here for years.

What the F is a "HIGH POWERED rifle"?

If we all switched to low powered rifles, would a lot of the perceptual difficulties disappear?

Where does one obtain a low powered rifle; is a licence required?
All sarcasm aside, intended or otherwise, I think we can safely label any firearm suitable for big game use as a high powered rifle. Furthermore, we can label any of the small centerfires and some of the newer rimfires as high powered by virtue of their muzzle velocity rather than energy. What is the mv cutoff point? Dunno. What is the me cutoff point? Dunno. I would like to think of myself as a reasonable person but I am not an expert.

If you can legally shoot big game with it it is high powered. If it is capable of shooting varmints at greater distance where sub moa accuracy is a must it is high powered. Both of these classifications can be dangerous on a narrow strip of land that is used as a 'main artery' of sorts by all manner of folks enjoying the outdoors whether hunting or just out for a walk. I feel discharging a firearm in this manner is purely unsafe. Period.

As for the low powered options, particularly the rimfires employed by the casual varmint hunter or ground shooting bird hunter, the muzzle is pointed below parallel with the horizon and shots are close. The risk to others is minimal if these firearms are employed in such a manner. And of course birdshot loses energy and velocity far too quickly for it to be a hazard if used responsibility.

Note I am making assumptions that the hunter is a responsible individual with a thorough understanding of the capabilities, and limitations of their firearm.

Colin
Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Default landowner rights

Just a quick comment. I live in a city. I own my home. What if I came home to find strangers lounging on my deck or using my hot tub or simply parked on my driveway? Just because someone lives in the country and owns a much larger portion of land does not diminish their rights.

If my neighbor's ball was hit into my back yard I would expect they would ask to enter and retrieve it. I would not expect them to ask in advance just in case it did. Apples and oranges I know. But sometimes the unexpected happens. As a hunter, if I planned to be hunting near to private land I would always preemptively seek permission for retrieval as a convenience if nothing else. I have hunted birds along ura's many times in the past and typically I have knocked on a door or two just to let folks know I was going to be there as a courtesy. Often land owners are a little shocked that I said anything and it has led a few times to good relations. That being said, there are a few 'douches' out there.

We need to be courtious, respectful and responsible as hunters. Lead by example. It will go a long way to opening doors - and land - in the future.

Colin
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM

I think we should start following some of these trespassers home this season and set up camp on there front porch and see how they like when people are in your backyard looking around.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 AM

my take, if there is crown land on one side of the road and private on the other, you should be allowed to hunt on the URA with any firearm/bow.

if there is private land on both sides, only hunting game birds should be allowed, with a shotgun or rimfire only.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Why would you hunt on a URA when there is crown land right there in the bush is always better then sitting on a URA .Hunting is only fun when it is challenging
Old 06-23-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Why would you hunt on a URA when there is crown land right there in the bush is always better then sitting on a URA .Hunting is only fun when it is challenging
what if youre driving down the road to access the crown and a deer walks out infront of you
Old 06-23-2015, 11:17 AM

I would stop my truck and get my gear and hope the deer would head to the crow land and the hunt would start.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM

I hunt west of Caroline so I don't have to worrie about that type of situation but I do have land and there is trespassers every hunting season .
Old 06-23-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I hunt west of Caroline so I don't have to worrie about that type of situation but I do have land and there is trespassers every hunting season .
Hunters hunting a road allowance are only trespassing if they venture off the road allowance onto private land. There are already laws in place for this, why do we need more?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM

They always seem to venture where they are not to be and I see it every year by foot prints or drag marks so I end up wasting my season by sitting and waiting trespassers
Old 06-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Hunters hunting a road allowance are only trespassing if they venture off the road allowance onto private land. There are already laws in place for this, why do we need more?
To stop them from shooting an animal standing on private land, then trespassing to retrieve it?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
Wow, the waters around here get really muddy awfully fast.

Rocky View County is planning to lobby the ESRD Minister to “make it unlawful to discharge a weapon along or across an undeveloped road allowance unless they have permission to hunt on the adjacent private land.”

Effectively, this would mean private landowners would decide who is allowed to hunt on URA's…regardless of the County’s motivation, whether or not you hunt on URA’s, your personal feelings about trespassers and stingy landowners, your Uncle Bob’s troubles with errant dogs in has pasture, the width of the URA or where it leads…
There it is ! Seems to me this is an attempt by RV County, being pressured by some vocal landowners, to shut down "road hunting" (read access) - period. If this proposal is successful in RV County, I can see Domino's falling throughout the Province. In spite of all the what-if's, what could be's and the other the scenarios presented here, they (County residents) simply don't want you hunting in their domain. The squeeze is on and likely very few County landowners, most who view hunters as a PITA, would be upset if this proposal was passed in to law. History indicates that further hunting/access restrictions will progress from this point.Talk about a slippery slope that is much wider than any 30 meter Right of Way. I don't wish to sound pessimistic, but somehow the word optimistic seems out of place when it comes to hunting opportunities anywhere these days .The "good old days " are now.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
To stop them from shooting an animal standing on private land, then trespassing to retrieve it?
More laws will stop this?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
They always seem to venture where they are not to be and I see it every year by foot prints or drag marks so I end up wasting my season by sitting and waiting trespassers
Again, more laws will stop this? Poachers are poachers, and restricting other law abiding hunters isn't the answer.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM

I don't wont more laws I just wont the government to step up and make people accountable for there actions
Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If they are willing to break the law and shoot something on private land, u can bet that they will be disregarding a road allowance law.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If they are willing to break the law and shoot something on private land, u can bet that they will be disregarding a road allowance law.
bingo.

i would hope that people would use common sense and realize they need permission on either side of the allowance to be able to effectively hunt big game.

should it be illegal? no

should you get permission? yes

does this apply to birds? it could
Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I don't wont more laws I just wont the government to step up and make people accountable for there actions
I agree with that.

Instead of lobbying for more restrictions for hunters, why don't we lobby for stiffer fines and enforcement? (There are laws already in place) I realize that people are still going to trespass and poach, but restricting law abiding hunters isn't going to stop it either. Threats of big fines and more of a chance of getting caught would do more good. IMO.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM

that would be the best thing people seem to under stand more when it cost lots of money
Old 06-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Instead of lobbying for more restrictions for hunters, why don't we lobby for stiffer fines and enforcement? (There are laws already in place) I realize that people are still going to trespass and poach, but restricting law abiding hunters isn't going to stop it either. Threats of big fines and more of a chance of getting caught would do more good. IMO.
We've discussed this before in regards to littering, traffic enforcement etc. Stiffer fines and following through with enforcement would pay for the increased manpower required.

Instead they want to implement new laws that people are going to ignore as well.

Colin
Old 06-23-2015, 01:35 PM

There is a lot of crow land out there I don't know why people need to worrie so much about privately owned land if they wont to hunt it get your cash out and buy some for your self
Old 06-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
More laws will stop this?
Would it stop you?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Would it stop you?
loaded question, and irrelevant.

he's not going to shoot an animal on private land without permission from a road allowance because it's already against the law.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
loaded question, and irrelevant.

he's not going to shoot an animal on private land without permission from a road allowance because it's already against the law.
But some people still do.

So to use his logic why have a law against it.