Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 06:55 PM

Default Pike fly fishing

Hey folks, the summer is approaching which means awesome pike fishing. Yet to catch one this year. Would you guys recommend fishing streamers and poppers with a wire leader or a flourocarbon leader? I got away with a few fish with the mono but it is quite risky. What colours would work well this time of year? Might hit places like twin valley and lakes in the area.
Cheers
Old 06-18-2015, 06:58 PM

Wire (spin casting leader). I know others will swear by 40 - 60 lb fluro, but a snap swivel is sooooo easy tied to a 8' piece of 20 lb mono!! Try both and decide, I guess...

-Confucius
Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 PM

Rio bite wire is what I have used and it is very tie-able for knots etc. If you go the 40-60 lb mono make sure that you have tied in a sacrificial piece between the line and the leader of say12-20 lbs test that way if you get caught up you are still able to break off without destroying your rod or the fly line.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 PM

I've fished wire spin fishing leaders for the last couple years but decided to go to 60lb floro this year and don't see myself going back. Turns flies over better and doesn't kink. As said in both comments above, make sure it's just your leader that's 60lb and have a couple feet of 12-20 pound in case of snagging. To comment on the second point, you can tie a snap to the end of the 60lb as well as change flies as easily as you could with a wire leader.

As for flies, go big. I've had 23" pike smack 12" flies. By 12" flies I mean measured at 12". You would be surprised how little flies actually are when measured, just like all fish we catch, never as big as we fishermen think
Old 06-19-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Hey folks, the summer is approaching which means awesome pike fishing. Yet to catch one this year. Would you guys recommend fishing streamers and poppers with a wire leader or a flourocarbon leader? I got away with a few fish with the mono but it is quite risky. What colours would work well this time of year? Might hit places like twin valley and lakes in the area.
Cheers
I have been full-on-pike-on-the-fly for 7 weeks.

I have done a lot of experimenting.

The basic Knot 2 Knotty bite tippet to fluoro connection is explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgBx0vjr6mg
I use 25 lb bite tippet, connected to 30lb fluoro leader material.

As the clip at the end of the bite tippet, I favour a clip like the Lindy Swivel:
http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-swivel-clips

I wish I could find the bag...it is the same clip, but without the swivel. It has a break point between 15-20 lbs (actually, it just bends not breaks). If you do have a snag, just nip off the old bent clip and replace it. The leader is good as new.

I tried mono, but fluoro is just nicer. With Knot 2 Knotty, the bite tippet and fluoro can be wound up, and when unwound has virtually no memory and easily unfurls.

For intermediate and sink lines, I use 30cm bite tippet + 80-100cm flouro. For floating lines, I use 30cm bite tippet + 200cm fluoro. For top water, I use 10cm bite tippet + 200-220cm fluoro.

As for flies, there is just something about red that just make pike angry or hungry. (Hangry?) Red+black. Red+white. Red+yellow.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 AM

For the last 20 years or so I have used Mason 40# test mono, it's super stiff and will roll a big fly with no problem.
The small fish seem to bite of far more than the bigger ones, in fact I don't think I have ever lost a fish over 10 pounds using it.
I have tied wire at times as well, but have gotten away from it for the most part.
Cat
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Don't need a fly to "turn over" when you chuck and duck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Turns flies over better.

-Confucius
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Don't need a fly to "turn over" when you chuck and duck!!
Must be using 12wts to turn over 12" pike flies
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM

I have used both, but I like wire better, I find flouro is too thick for some smaller flies, and it won't fit through my tube flies. Also the kinks that occur in steel leaders give the fly action, this makes the fly kick to one side after a strip which looks like a traumatized fish. I don't know, I do fairly well with pike on the fly using both materials. Try both and let us know what you prefer!
Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 AM

10 wt for big pike, 8wt for average pike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVIS View Post
Must be using 12wts to turn over 12" pike flies

-Confucius
Old 06-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
10 wt for big pike, 8wt for average pike.
10 weight rod would work well for big pike flies for sure but an 8 wt rod would be big enough to land a 40 lb. Pike.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
10 weight rod would work well for big pike flies for sure but an 8 wt rod would be big enough to land a 40 lb. Pike.
Unless you're fishing for stunted pike, then a 5wt is plenty lol
Old 06-19-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Unless you're fishing for stunted pike, then a 5wt is plenty lol
I am by no means an expert caster, but the issue for me isn't about the size of the fish but the size of the junk I am attempting to put out there. I am struggling with chucking larger flies with my 6 wt, especially with any sort of wind (an 8wt is on the wishlist, once my finance committee grants approval). Landing mid-sized pike in the 5-8 lb range with the 6 has been fun. That said, I caught my biggest of the year so far on an 18", very realistic looking pike "fly" Something like this, but on a much smaller scale.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM

I've done fly-in pike flyfishing trips for years now and this is the setup every year. All you need is a 9'' wire leader with a swivel on one end and a clip on the other (for the fly), and a 6ft leader 40lb maxima ultragreen... Seems like overkill but it turns the bigger flies over.. So basically what Uber said, but I use 40lb. The clips on the wire leader make it so easy to change up flies when one has been chewed to pieces.

As far as flies go, I usually tie my flies with casting in mind.. Sparse synthetic material shed water quickly and aren't as heavy to cast... I've never fished a fly over 6'' before because I enjoy casting 70+ feet and not be scared for my life lol.. And I've caught plenty 40"+ pike.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 AM

I use a 5wt for pike. So much fun with the light rod but you sure have to practice throwing big flies. Not easy! Definitely doable though.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
I am by no means an expert caster, but the issue for me isn't about the size of the fish but the size of the junk I am attempting to put out there. I am struggling with chucking larger flies with my 6 wt, especially with any sort of wind (an 8wt is on the wishlist, once my finance committee grants approval). Landing mid-sized pike in the 5-8 lb range with the 6 has been fun. That said, I caught my biggest of the year so far on an 18", very realistic looking pike "fly" Something like this, but on a much smaller scale.
Singing to the Choir! I am sure you will be an expert caster in not to long.
A 8 or 9 wt is the optimum rod for large pike flies imo.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 AM

I fish a 9wt vapen and rio pike lines and have no problem casting the big flies
Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm a shore angler so limits me to stunted pike 18''- 24'' (usually). Found some 15 pound flouro in my box and I'm not sure it would be worth using it for poppers on the surface. For the streamers which might snag , I'll add thinner line to avoid damages to the rod and line. I'm leaning towards flouro ( 60 lb seems more promising than 15) because its invisible, doesn't kink and turns over better. Adding the snap would be very convenient, what would a suggested knot be? (clinch?) i'll certainly try both wire and flouro though.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:43 PM

Default Toothy critter

I use the wire ended "Rio toothy critter" stuff. It's ok . Has never broke off.it does however kink up . I might switch to 40# mono and see how it goes. Possibly even try the 20 or 30# 12" regular wire leader with the swivel cut out and tied to30# mono.... Or something else.
I've done well on articulated weighted "chuck and duck" red and white flies using sinking line and my 9wt.
Also caught pike on wooly buggers with my 6wt.
Most recently caught 8 pike while fly fishing for perch. Biggest pike on the 5wt and a #12 bead head nymph was 4 lb. just using tapered trout leader... Think it says 6.4lb test or something on the package . Did break off a few times . Couldn't avoid the pike no matter how small I went on fly size.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm a shore angler so limits me to stunted pike 18''- 24'' (usually). Found some 15 pound flouro in my box and I'm not sure it would be worth using it for poppers on the surface. For the streamers which might snag , I'll add thinner line to avoid damages to the rod and line. I'm leaning towards flouro ( 60 lb seems more promising than 15) because its invisible, doesn't kink and turns over better. Adding the snap would be very convenient, what would a suggested knot be? (clinch?) i'll certainly try both wire and flouro though.
I use a clinch know. The fly should have lots of movement when the swivel and snap so the clinch won't take away any movement
Old 06-20-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I use 60 - 80 flouro with a very small black rolling swivel (Mustad # 14) and a # 9 - 11 Mustad J Hook Snap. Rather than ties knots. I use .070 - .085 ID single barrel sleeves and crimp everything.

99% of the time, a 6 - 8" flouro bite is plenty. I make a surgeons loop in the class tippet and crimp a small loop in the flouro bite and everything is connected loop to loop. I premake several bites ahead of time. After several fish, the flouro can often become nicked, so I change the bite. Being loop to loop, changing out bites is quick and easy.

My leader is typically 4-6 feet of 40 lb mono with 2 feet of 20 lb mono class tippet. This combo turns over big flies rather well.

I prefer flouro with a small swivel / snap over wire for a number of reasons,,, it stays straight,,,, the snap / swivel adds a bit of weight to the head of the fly creating a diving / fluttering action,,, and I also catch lot more walleye incidentally while pike fly fishing with flouro.

When using any snap, make sure you check it after every fish, Twisting the fly out can open the snap which is a good way to loose your fly if you don't notice it!!!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks, will try this season. I'll have to look for the 60 lb flouro... I'll try the clinch knot. Kind of off topic but has anyone tried laker fly fishing with pike streamers from shore? Would be fun fishing at Driftwood Spray lakes with the fly rod (instead of smelt or hardware), probably will need a sinking line?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks, will try this season. I'll have to look for the 60 lb flouro... I'll try the clinch knot. Kind of off topic but has anyone tried laker fly fishing with pike streamers from shore? Would be fun fishing at Driftwood Spray lakes with the fly rod (instead of smelt or hardware), probably will need a sinking line?
Clouser minnow fly worked for me last year. Have not been there this year.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Just go buy the rio bite wire. 60 lbs flouro is insanely thick so is the heavy saltwater mono. 15 lbs and 30lbs wire is almost the same size. You can tie loops in it just like mono dont use a snap swivel they actually start to open just from casting heavy flies. Toothy critter is not as good the rio wire is really supple almost like a braided line feel to it. Regular steel leaders wil work in a pinch I always keep a couple in my vest as you can almost use an entire spool of wire if the fish are on in the spring
Old 07-14-2015, 12:09 PM

OK guys
Purchase a 8/9weight 14 ft spey rod and LEARN HOW TO USE IT AND YOU WILL CAST 100FT OF FLY LINE OFF SHORE WITH 5 AND 6 INCH FLIES. If you can wade out into the lake so that you can get a better casting set up you could extend that cast to well over 100 feet. That's 100 feet plus leader.
PS You will need casting lessons to get good with that rod.
You will not need a expensive rod but a fairly large reel to hold the line. Go to your local fly shop for info and look on line at SpeyPages.com
Bjay
Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Cheap wire leaders

I buy the 6 inch 8 pound wire leaders. Super cheap. I caught over 20 pike on one the other weekend.