Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Info on ammo

I'm trying to find some information on what's available for different types of .308 ammo. Basically, I'm looking for different manufacturers and lead types.

I want to settle on one bullet to use for hunting but there's a lot to choose from and I'm finding it hard to find any links that do comparisons. Ton's of links for ordering......lol......but that's not what I'm after at this point in time.

I'm going to be using my Savage 99 .308 for hunting moose, deer and elk. I want a good all-around bullet that will be most effective on all the aforementioned animals. I've decided that I don't want to switch between bullets for different animals (ie: 150 grain for deer, 180 for moose/elk) so I've decided to go with 165 grain bullets.

How about it folks, any recommendations on types of leads?

What do you prefer and why.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 AM

It will depend on what your Model 99 shoots best from the available factory loads - especially if you don't reload.

In Federal's Vitalshock .308 Win 165 grain offerings there are:

Nosler Accubond, Sierra GameKing, Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet (TSX) and Trophy Bonded Tip

Remington offerings include:

Swift Sirocco bonded, Accutip boattail

Winchester offerings include:

150 gr Supreme Elite XP3.

This is by no means a complete list. Study what the manufacturers say and then check this and other forums such as Canadian GunNutz and 24 Hour Campfire(especially the Savage forum) and see what others have reported.

In my 99 F, I use Nosler 165 grain Partitions which shoot well for this particular gun, but haven't harvested any big game yet with it. I have not tried other makes of bullets. When I do harvest something, I have confidence the Partition will do the job providing I do mine.

* The 165 grain partitions are handloaded.*

Last edited by John Spartan; 04-06-2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added information.